Torus power

Woolz

Torus power
« on: 8 May 2009, 11:57 am »
I have been very interested in this product.  I have experienced the benefits of power conditioning through the use of several types including Audience, Shunyata, PS Audio power plant all of which I have owned.  I have just bought a new pair of speakers from Salk Sound called Archos which have a 94db  sensitivity.  I am wondering if the benefit of the Torus which is a different approach than the above conditioners will be as great with speakers that don't need as much current as say an 87db speaker?   I do have a large great sounding room (33x34).  I was also wondering what combo of the new squared series amp and Torus would seem to be best?  Mr. Tanner, do you have a formula for determining such like Musical Fidelity for example?  I have been reading this site for some time and I am very impressed with your expertise.

-Steve

drummermitchell

Re: Torus power
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2009, 02:38 pm »
Steve,not to highjack this thread,I use to use the Shunyata 6(components+hydra 2s for the amps)all on dedicated lines.
The Torus(s)blew the Shunyatas out of the water(sonically)theTorus is such a huge upgrade.
I suppose it depends if you prefer the sound difference of each.I know your amp(s)will love you for it.
I have a small room and it was quite dramatic,let alone a room of your size.If you could even audition one at home,
I believe the Torus would not go back,they are that dramatic :thumb:..

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2009, 05:33 pm »

Steve,

Go to the bottom of this page where you will find a link to the Torus 30 day money back guarentee trial offer. 

http://www.toruspower.com/

Regards,

Bill

Woolz

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2009, 11:02 pm »
Thank you drummermitchell for the endorsement and 95dyna for the suggestion, which I have followed.  I ordered a RM-10 today under the 30 day guarantee offer.  I wish it could have been an RM-20 as I have  a 500 watt amp but the RM-10 for some reason fit my budget better.  I think it may work just fine because of the sensitivity of my speakers and my system is really simple.  I read that in the end it is the current the speakers demand which determines the size of the Torus one needs. I am looking forward to this as it makes a lot of sense.

Woolz

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2009, 09:09 pm »
I received my RM-10 today and have it in the system.  Unfortunately I had a surprise when it was delivered. I owed $35.50 to UPS for duty.  Is this normal?  I thought I had prepaid for everything including shipping ( I bought direct from Torus Power website on the 30 day guarantee) but I guess not.  Just a heads up for those of you in the US. I could not find a heads up about this on the website.

First impression very positive although I'm not sure I believe what I am hearing yet.  But better and deeper bass and a more 3-D soundstage. It could be wishful thinking though.  We'll see.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2009, 09:18 pm »
I received my RM-10 today and have it in the system.  Unfortunately I had a surprise when it was delivered. I owed $35.50 to UPS for duty.  Is this normal?  I thought I had prepaid for everything including shipping ( I bought direct from Torus Power website on the 30 day guarantee) but I guess not.  Just a heads up for those of you in the US. I could not find a heads up about this on the website.

First impression very positive although I'm not sure I believe what I am hearing yet.  But better and deeper bass and a more 3-D soundstage. It could be wishful thinking though.  We'll see.

Sorry Dude, i hate that fee too. Incedently  that's a brokerage fee applied by UPS. Lucky its only $35.00. They do this to encourage the faster modes of delivery that inc the brokerage fees with shipping.

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2009, 09:58 pm »
If memory serves me if you ship normal mail there is no fee of the type you encountered.

Woolz

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm »
Yea, that's what the driver said, a COD for a Brokerage fee, not duty.  If that is the way it is fine.  I just didn't like the surprise.  It isn't a good way to do business.  I made my decision to buy based on a price that as far as I knew was all I was going to pay.  Plitron had to know I would have the brokerage fee, but failed to tell me. Not good.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:13 pm »
Yea, that's what the driver said, a COD for a Brokerage fee, not duty.  If that is the way it is fine.  I just didn't like the surprise.  It isn't a good way to do business.  I made my decision to buy based on a price that as far as I knew was all I was going to pay.  Plitron had to know I would have the brokerage fee, but failed to tell me. Not good.

Hi woolz,

I will call Torus and see if I can get you a refund.

james

Woolz

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2009, 11:08 am »
Thank you James.

Woolz

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:42 pm »

Hi woolz,

I will call Torus and see if I can get you a refund.

james

Hi woolz

Answer from the President of Torus no less!

Dear James

"It  is a surprise to us as shipping is prepaid and there should be no charge to the customer.

We will deal with this fairly and straighten this out.  Either UPS or Pitron will reimburse this to the customer."

Howard

ian.ameline

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:43 pm »
Both UPS and Fedex are notorious for tacking outrageously inflated brokerage fees onto their shipments COD. I refuse to do cross border business with anyone shipping with either of them. Standard post office parcel post is the way to go -- more reliable and vastly cheaper.

-- Ian.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:20 pm »
And the US Postal Service and Canada Post have better service to the customer (especially if you are not home to receive parcel) and don't charge that brokerage fee. I always try to use them if possible. Speaking from the Canadian side of the equation...

Back on topic the Torus will take 50 hrs. to break in. So don't judge it now. I ran a CD for 2 days straight when I got mine because I couldn't wait. :)

Woolz

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2009, 08:35 pm »
Again, thank you James and I am glad to know that Torus didn't know what was going on.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:48 pm »
Again, thank you James and I am glad to know that Torus didn't know what was going on.
Hi James

Can you please provide the name of the customer that is requesting a refund for the brokerage.
I cannot figure it out from the correspondence.

Regards
Anna Perruccio
Torus

Woolz

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:17 pm »
James,

Evidently Anna figured it out.  I received notice from Torus today that my credit card was being credited $35 which is close enough for jazz.

Thanks again,
Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2009, 08:56 pm »
Hi Steve,

Your welcome - I owe you a coffee.

james