New BDA-1 Operation

bacmsl

New BDA-1 Operation
« on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:30 am »
This is a question for anybody, whether the upsample button is depressed or not the locked in light will stay illuminated , is this normal. Also I am using Opti1 and the 44K1 light is green but none of the other lights come on, is this normal. The manual that comes with it is a little vague on operation. On the plus side the music has just taken a big leap forward which is very rewarding. Everybody who has a stereo should own one of these baby's.

Barry M

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New BDA-1 Operation
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2009, 10:43 am »
The BDA-1 tells you what is ‘COMING IN’ not what is going ‘out’.

The Digital Lock light will turn ‘green’ if the digital signal is locked.

The incoming sample rate will be indicated by that LED going green – so if the incoming digital signal is 96K the 96K LED will light green.

If you push the UPSAMPLE button on the front panel then the incoming digital signal will be ‘SYNCHRONOUSLY UPSAMPLED’ and turn Green or Amber depending on the incoming sample rate. (Green if the incoming is 48 or 96K and Amber if 44.1 or 88.2K)

·If the sample rate coming in is 44K or 88.1K the BDA-1 upsamples to 176K/24bit

·If the sample rate coming in is 48K, or 96K the BDA-1 upsamples to 192K/24bit

The upsample feature works on all inputs (including the I2S USB input) assuming the Upsample button is push.

If the incoming signal is 'native' 176K or 192K then no upsampling occurs.

Hope this helps explain it better?

james
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2009, 11:49 am by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:46 pm »
Good stuff James,this'll help me also.

bacmsl

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2009, 11:38 pm »
Yes that makes it clearer, I had to read it 2 or 3 times to get my head around it, but. What does the Digital Lock mean and what is it's function? What is the idea behind locking the signal? Wouldn't the signal be at a steady state as it receives it?

Barry M

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:00 am »
Yes that makes it clearer, I had to read it 2 or 3 times to get my head around it, but. What does the Digital Lock mean and what is it's function? What is the idea behind locking the signal? Wouldn't the signal be at a steady state as it receives it?

Barry M

Hi Barry,

It just indicates that the BDA-1 'sees' a digital bit stream and it is strong enough to 'lock on'

james

bacmsl

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:09 am »
Thanks for the information.

Barry M