XLRs

drummermitchell

XLRs
« on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:11 pm »
I imagine all you XLR user's already know this.
As to only trying out the XLRs on BCD-1 to BP-26,I just had more of shock.
Listened to some 80s rock(Huey Lewis and  the News),there is some nice slice and dice Hihat work.
I gotta say those Hihats slice like gleaming razor blades now.I wonder when the other XLRs will arrive.

aa THIS IS WAY TOO MUCH FUN aa

drummermitchell

Re: XLRs
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:13 pm »
As I'm waiting for my other XLRs for my amps,and as dramatic it is using the XLRs on my cdp.
I'm interested in what others found using XLRs on their amps.
This is not suttle and that's just the CDP(BCD-1).
I also have to say that this is the first time I've had the 28s+BP-26 at their lowest setting and
They are AMAZING,THE FIRST WATT IS THE SAME AS THE LAST,CLEAN,PINPOINT IMAGING,PUNCHY,
all the musical information you could want.
This is just too good and there's more to come,just thought i'd share my musical discoveries,and
thanks to James and other's who put my music into :bowdown: BALANCED  MODE.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:20 pm »
I've had XLRs on my Bryston amps (14BSST and 6BSST) for many years.  I have XLR cables waiting for my BCD-1 as soon as I can get an SP-3.  A quality XLR is a better connector for one (vs. an RCA) and it doesn't hurt to have better noise reduction.  I even have an XLR Y connector from my SP1.7 to go to each of my Rel Storm III subs for the ".1" channel.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:35 pm »
Phil,as I'm a late bloomer,can you remember what an effect the XLRs had on your amps,
and your SUBS.MY XLR Ys should be here next week.This is very exciting for me.
I also got a ph. call yesterday my BDA-1 has arrived,and any thoughts about internet radio,satellite TV/ radio
or squeeze box :scratch:,Thanks,Don

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2009, 05:42 pm »
I'd call the differences very subtle.  A bit blacker background.   Something you would notice on really well recorded stuff but not on everything.  I make my own cables so the wire I was using to make the RCAs and the XLRs was not that much different except for the ground.  My 6BSST sits behind the couch (too many components and plugs) for the center (and it requires a long speaker cable back and I have a Rel Q150 sub on the center which takes a long cable to get to the 6BSST) and rears and it is about 20 ft. for the XLRs (and I use an RCA for the rear center when I use it hooked to a Marantz MA500 monoblock that sits next to the 6BSST).  So it is more cost effective and I can make better stuff vs. buying it.  Out of curiousity where did you get the XLR 'Y' connector?  I remember looking for one several years back and just have a home made one with an XLR going to each sub.  Not that I think it makes tons of difference for the more ltd. frequencies the sub deals with.  My bedroom system backs to the main system so when I have an SP3 it will allow me to use the RCA outs on the BCD-1 in the bedroom on the other side of the wall.

Don, I'm not the one to ask about satellite stuff (or internet radio).  I get over the air HDTV from Baltimore and Washington DC and I listen to radio perhaps a couple of hours a year between the car and home systems.  I've been recording WMA lossless on a 500G USB hard drive (and compressing it for my Zune for the car) and when I get done I'll have thousands of songs on it.  I bought, but have not used it yet, a WD media player ($100) that basically has 2 USB inputs and analog audio, toslink digital, HDMI and composite video outputs.  The plan is to eventually have it in the main system and when the SP3 is there have the digital out going into a digital input on my Marantz SR6300 bedroom receiver (and have the digital out of the SR6300 into the SP3).  The bedroom system feeds multiple other places via a speaker switcher and I also can connect it to the basement system (I ran RCA and Cat5e before I finished the basement and I use the Cat5e to hook to the network right now connected is the Samsung 2500 Blu-Ray player in the bedroom system and soon I'll pick up the Oppo Blu-Ray player for the main system and I can hook other stuff too) where I have a PS3 if I want to make use of that too.  So I have a lot of options.  I just always have too much of a backlog of movies and music to get much into radio.  I'll be going to Borders later to see if there is anything worthwhile at 50% off (even though I already have a big backlog) and I'll be buying at least one more CD coming out this week.  I'd feed the BDA-1 with the best quality signal.  If you're going to use internet radio, get a really good sound card.

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:20 pm »
Hi Phil,nothing like being thorough.My XLR-Y's I ordered up from BRYSTON(melissa).They should be here next week as she said they were made up(2 days)how's that for custom built and ordering,That's FAST.
I gotta feeling my BDA-1 is just gonna look pretty,but we'll see and I will check into those sound cards.
At least I'm almost ready,2pcs.Like you  the SP-3 and I think another 28 for centre.
Thanks for the info :thumb:,Don

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:17 am »
I've posted a picture in my gallery of the XLRs I have waiting to use on the BCD-1 when the SP3 is available.

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:27 am »
Nice lookin cables,great lookin SYSTEMS.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:51 am »
Don, thanks

Robert D

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:29 pm »
drummermitchell, Did you order from Bryston for the BCD-1 these Digital cables for the Digital Out Puts to your BDA-1
1- SINGLE AES-EBU XLR CABLE 1 METER 110 OHMS
1- DIGITAL COAX RCA/RCA OR RCA/BNC SPDIF

Once your BCD-1 is connected to the BDA-1 using it's Digital out Puts, The Doors will just open to your System.
James had said to me to Connect the BDA-1 XLR to BP26. Trust me he has his Reasons !!!!
The sound is amazing

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:53 pm »
Hi Robert,I just remembered yesterday :duh:I'm making another call tomorrow.

Robert D

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2009, 02:02 pm »
drummermitchell , If call down to Bryston Speak to James Tanner (( Tell him Robert sent you ))

SINGLE AES-EBU XLR CABLE 1 METER 110 OHMS
DIGITAL COAX RCA/RCA OR RCA/BNC SPDIF 75 OHMS 1 METER

I ordered on Meter of Each, I guess shorter is better ????

I think he knows Me !

Enjoy, it only Gets Better

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2009, 08:02 pm »
Don, did you receive your new Bryston cables ?

Let me Know

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2009, 11:49 pm »
Hi Robert,received them yesterday.have the Ycables connected to the 28s and DDs.
I'm so used to my CARDAS,that the balanced seem to clean(if that's possible :roll:).
I'm shy the AES,but that's taken care of.My BDA-1 bin in the city for a few days so I couldn't ty it anyway.
I'm gonna see if I can go in Sat.(have to get some paint anyways,so I'll pick up the Award winning BDA-1 :thumb:.It will be interesting because as I was using the analog outs of the BCD-1right into the 26,
I think it's an excellent sound,first was Cardas rcas and then the XLRs(that was a big bonus :drums:).Now with the amps and subs,not sure,maybe on those is not as big a jump.She all sounds great.
It is a bit early so we'll see.I was expecting another major jump like the XLRs with the BCD-1.So far all's
great.

95Dyna

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2009, 04:44 pm »
I've had XLRs on my Bryston amps (14BSST and 6BSST) for many years.  I have XLR cables waiting for my BCD-1 as soon as I can get an SP-3.  A quality XLR is a better connector for one (vs. an RCA) and it doesn't hurt to have better noise reduction.  I even have an XLR Y connector from my SP1.7 to go to each of my Rel Storm III subs for the ".1" channel.

Hi Phil,

I enjoyed your pix.  I don't see the second amp sitting out.  Is it in one of the cabinets and if so do you ever have any heat problems?  I have my eyes on the Thiel 3.7's.  Do you use the subs for HT only or do you think the Thiels require a sub for 2 channel audio.

Thanks,

Bill

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2009, 12:53 am »

Hi Phil,

I enjoyed your pix.  I don't see the second amp sitting out.  Is it in one of the cabinets and if so do you ever have any heat problems?  I have my eyes on the Thiel 3.7's.  Do you use the subs for HT only or do you think the Thiels require a sub for 2 channel audio.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I've added a couple of Pics (main room entrance and behind couch).  The 6BSST sits behind a couch and that is a Marantz MA500 next to it for a rear center that does not get used tons.  I use the Rel Storm IIIs for both.  They have a high (speaker) level connection and a low level (HT) connection.  The high level connection has its own volume control and crossover.  They are crossed over at 22HZ.  I had 7.2s before the 3.7s and the subs added to them as well.  They don't require subs (no one will put a gun to your head:)).  Even the 7.2s got the benefit from the subs.  It depends on your room and what you listen to and how you listen.  The room is treated too.  I have a very large room (19 ft. high, about 16x20 and opens into other spaces) and w/o the subs they are probably flat to just below 40Hz.  The 7.2s were probably flat to just above 30Hz.  With the subs the 3.7s are perfectly flat from the listening position from 25-80Hz.  The 14BSST provides better bass control than the 6BSST.  I originally had the 6BSST on the front 3 channels (when I had 7.2s) and when I got the 14BSST a friend came over and thought I had the subs on when they were off.  When I switched the subs on he noticed the difference.  The Torus RM20 is on the way (I'm hoping next week) and the Oppo Blu-Ray player is one the way (I should have it late next week or early the following week).

95Dyna

« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2009, 01:09 pm »

Hi Phil,

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I've added a couple of Pics (main room entrance and behind couch).  The 6BSST sits behind a couch and that is a Marantz MA500 next to it for a rear center that does not get used tons.  I use the Rel Storm IIIs for both.  They have a high (speaker) level connection and a low level (HT) connection.  The high level connection has its own volume control and crossover.  They are crossed over at 22HZ.  I had 7.2s before the 3.7s and the subs added to them as well.  They don't require subs (no one will put a gun to your head:)).  Even the 7.2s got the benefit from the subs.  It depends on your room and what you listen to and how you listen.  The room is treated too.  I have a very large room (19 ft. high, about 16x20 and opens into other spaces) and w/o the subs they are probably flat to just below 40Hz.  The 7.2s were probably flat to just above 30Hz.  With the subs the 3.7s are perfectly flat from the listening position from 25-80Hz.  The 14BSST provides better bass control than the 6BSST.  I originally had the 6BSST on the front 3 channels (when I had 7.2s) and when I got the 14BSST a friend came over and thought I had the subs on when they were off.  When I switched the subs on he noticed the difference.  The Torus RM20 is on the way (I'm hoping next week) and the Oppo Blu-Ray player is one the way (I should have it late next week or early the following week).

Thanks Phil.  That's useful info for me as my room is similar 17 x 21 w/10' ceiling opening up into other rooms.