Leasing a 28B

werd

Leasing a 28B
« on: 22 Apr 2009, 06:26 pm »
Hello

James have you ever considered entering into leasing contracts with people and the 28B's? I actually think this could work, it something that your warranty helps to enforce. It would also certainly get alot more people into those big amps. People could lease the amps at half price for three years.They could  buy it out and sell it (if they dont want it) or just return to dealer at the end of the lease. This is only doable because the resale on Bryston is extremely good.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Leasing a 28B
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2009, 06:40 pm »
Hello

James have you ever considered entering into leasing contracts with people and the 28B's? I actually think this could work, it something that your warranty helps to enforce. It would also certainly get alot more people into those big amps. People could lease the amps at half price for three years.They could  buy it out and sell it (if they dont want it) or just return to dealer at the end of the lease. This is only doable because the resale on Bryston is extremely good.

Hi werd,

Some dealers do have leasing available but I am not sure if it applies to high end goods.

james

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:03 pm »
I think it could have very serious consequences for Bryston as a company owning property in many States.  Here in the US, once you own property (lessor) you have sales taxes (both state and local) and other taxes to deal with.  There's even a statute or two that applies the sales tax on the sum of the rental receipts upfront.  Bryston would then have to collect these taxes and have an administrative staff.  There are over 7,000 taxing jurisdictions in the US with over 30,000 tax rates.  Then there's state income and franchise taxes (which may be measured by income, net worth or other factors).  Then there are States that have personal property taxes.  There are others too.  It's easily better letting a local dealer do it.  They are based on a taxing jurisdiction and subject to their laws and best equiped to deal with the pain.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:10 pm »
I think it could have very serious consequences for Bryston as a company owning property in many States.  Here in the US, once you own property (lessor) you have sales taxes (both state and local) and other taxes to deal with.  There's even a statute or two that applies the sales tax on the sum of the rental receipts upfront.  Bryston would then have to collect these taxes and have an administrative staff.  There are over 7,000 taxing jurisdictions in the US with over 30,000 tax rates.  Then there's state income and franchise taxes (which may be measured by income, net worth or other factors).  Then there are States that have personal property taxes.  There are others too.  It's easily better letting a local dealer do it.  They are based on a taxing jurisdiction and subject to their laws and best equiped to deal with the pain.

Oh yes for sure a dealer, It seems obvious now. I havent heard of any dealers doing this but James mentions that some do. Probably in the pro end of it?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:41 pm »
There are also leasing cos. that could do it.  Perhaps Bryston could make a deal with an unaffiliated leasing co. to pass the warranty if they deem there is enough interest in it and it serves the needs of their customers.  There are probably cos. that specialize in the pro market and lease items to recording studios.  Perhaps it could be a could thing for Bryston, the leasing co. and the consumer.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:37 am »
Here's an example of a co. that rents pro stuff and Bryston gear too:  http://www.tidepoolaudio.com/rental.htm

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:38 am »

Wow -thanks Phil- glad we never got involved in leasing!

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:46 pm »
The "Bryston Leasing Circle" doesn't sound as good.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2009, 04:49 pm »
What makes it possible is Bryston's resale value. I suppose that one could buy the 28B's and own them for a couple of years. For me i cant afford to invest that kinda cash into amps on a permanent basis. But i might (once in a life time) spend 3or 4 k and own these steller amp for maybe 3 years and sell after. I was just thinking leasing might be an easier route. Bryston is one of the only audio companies that reduces the risk on this, because of it stellar used market and aftersales servicing. Nobody would want to try this on a brand with anything less ( due to the risk)

4WR

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2009, 06:56 pm »
But i might (once in a life time) spend 3or 4 k and own these steller amp for maybe 3 years and sell after.

I don't know about you, but I would have a hell of a time giving them up.