4B SST2

1ZIP

4B SST2
« on: 8 Apr 2009, 09:49 pm »
Finally ordered the 4B SST2 today.  With any luck I should have it by months end and then we will see what the BCD-1, BP-26, 4B SST2, plus Bryston ICs,  combination sounds like.  Now maybe some new speakers, B&W 804s?  And then there is the ever elusive mint Sansui TU-919.  Soon I'll be in tall cotton!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: 4B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm »
Awesome.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm »
Finally ordered the 4B SST2 today.  With any luck I should have it by months end and then we will see what the BCD-1, BP-26, 4B SST2, plus Bryston ICs,  combination sounds like.  Now maybe some new speakers, B&W 804s?  And then there is the ever elusive mint Sansui TU-919.  Soon I'll be in tall cotton!

Hi 1ZIP

Great - who did you order from and I will expedite for you.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:37 am »
Thank you that would be great!

Poulsbo Audio Video
HiFi/Home Cinema

Poulsbo, WA

danman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2009, 01:08 am »
If I could be some help here!!!!

Just got mine today (thanks James) and can tell you that I am awe struck. Not really sure how much better my Martin Logans could sound compared to my 4B-ST well I can assure you that the highs seem to be the major improvement I notice right now in my first hour. Also much better soundstage as well. Sound seems to come from all around the room now. I have even added some sound absorbers that I built while waiting for the amp and that makes a huge difference especially with my speakers which are dipolars (spelling???)

Overall..........so far...much more of a musical amp! Great job! aa

werd

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:46 am »
If I could be some help here!!!!

Just got mine today (thanks James) and can tell you that I am awe struck. Not really sure how much better my Martin Logans could sound compared to my 4B-ST well I can assure you that the highs seem to be the major improvement I notice right now in my first hour. Also much better soundstage as well. Sound seems to come from all around the room now. I have even added some sound absorbers that I built while waiting for the amp and that makes a huge difference especially with my speakers which are dipolars (spelling???)

Overall..........so far...much more of a musical amp! Great job! aa

Wait till you start cycling through all your tunes. Its going to get way better.  Those ML's will start sounding like the nicest speaker in the world. Thats how feel about my acoustic zens, I know its the amp thats doing that.

danman

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:42 pm »
I have noticed a big difference with the temperature of the amp. It runs very cool even with my difficult Martin Logans. That surprised me because it does not seem to be bothered at all with them! Much more speaker friendly I guess. Maybe the ST series was biased at a higher level.

Got to bed at 2:00 this morning but could of stayed up all night! My wife just smiles and I am so lucky to know that she understands. She is into the big screen T.V and me in audio. Some of my friends are jealous of that!!

It's been a long time that I have felt like this about a piece of audio gear.........I am a happy man!

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2009, 04:37 pm »
Being that happy it sounds like you were also able to sell your ST fairly quickly.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2009, 04:49 pm »
Being that happy it sounds like you were also able to sell your ST fairly quickly.

Have you not sold your ST yet Zip?

danman

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2009, 05:04 pm »
Yeah I sold it in a couple of weeks. Had a lot of inquieries but many of them were from people that were more curious than anything.
Sent the unit to Bryston last week. They are going to have a look at it and the person who bought it also purchased a pre-amp from them as well. He will pick it up from there since he lives close. Made the deal easier as he will pay them directly instead of me. Was kind of a good feeling knowing that he bought a pre from them while buying from me and I also bought from Bryston directly so overall, everyone is happy and makes for good business. I was mostly greatful for how James and his crew helped me out with my purchase. Never have I had service like this and I have never even met them. Wish I was closer to visit their facilities and to thank them in person. I was supposed to go to the Montreal show but had other commitments at the last minute and will end up going to Montreal only next week instead!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2009, 07:10 pm »
Thank you that would be great!

Poulsbo Audio Video
HiFi/Home Cinema

Poulsbo, WA

Ok great - I have not recieved the order yet as of this afternoon.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2009, 10:44 pm »
James;

I talked to Poulsbo Audio a few minutes ago and they indicated the order was placed yesterday but thought that the order had to go through Hans(?), so they were checking to see the status.

1ZIP

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2009, 10:52 pm »
WERD:

No, have not put it up for sale yet.  I don't want to use Ebay, so might try Audiogon.  Maybe I'll just keep it and build a second system some where else in the house.  Then again I've still got my B-60 too.....need to think it all through....there is something about parting with a piece of Bryston gear that bothers me.

MOZ

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2009, 07:14 pm »
Hi James,

I'm getting new speakers (Revel Studio Ultima 1 + center C30 + surrounds S30 (x4)) and so i change my actual Bryston amps for new ones.
I'm getting a 4B SST and a 9B SST (5ch).

8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2009, 07:31 pm »
Hi James,

I'm getting new speakers (Revel Studio Ultima 1 + center C30 + surrounds S30 (x4)) and so i change my actual Bryston amps for new ones.
I'm getting a 4B SST and a 9B SST (5ch).

8)

Very nice speakers- let me know what you think when you get everything hooked up.

james

rmurray

« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2009, 03:06 am »
 Great to hear more happy owner feed back on the 4Bsst2 model What preamp do you run? I will probably stick with my bp25 when I spring for the sst. If the pre is a little dry I figure the sst will provide a more liquid effect. Please keep us posted as your amp matures. I've heard that the base resolution suppose to be generally better than my st model. Thanks.........rmurray. :drool:

MOZ

« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2009, 12:35 pm »
Hum... well, i used to have a Bryston SP2 but i couldn't wait for the new SP3 that is quite a bit long to come out  8) so i sold it and got a great Lexicon MC12 V5EQ that just rocks with my Pioneer LX91 (aka 09FD) and my BCD-1 :thumb:
I should have speakers and amps at the end of this month, i'll let you know of course how it performs !
I'll eventually get a 2ch pre if needed (like BP25)... but the MC12 used on analog way is "alright".

MOZ

« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2009, 02:06 pm »
Hi All,

Got my Revel Studio speakers.
I'm lended a 4B ST at the moment, i take time to do the right choice concerning what amp i shall get (well, that will be a Bryston, anyway  :green:)...
The 4B ST is marvelous with the Studios.
It gives a lot of punch, with tremendous bass and wonderfull spaciality !
Using the BCD-1 on it is just a wonderful experience.
What a speaker, what an amp !  :o
Unbelievable...

I can't wait to get a SST2 amp on it and, well... my surround speakers as well (a bit odd on movies without them !)...

« Last Edit: 26 May 2009, 07:33 am by MOZ »

12volt

« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2009, 05:27 pm »
I have had my new 4B Squared in my system for about two weeks with approx. 100 hours total time on it. I must say that this is one amazing amp!  Way to go James/Bryston!  I replaced what I thought was a great amp to begin with, McIntosh MC275IV.  I don't miss it at all. 

The new 4B Squared throws an amazing stage.  Height, width and depth are amazing.  Detail is incredible, vocals to die for. Yes vocals are so smoooth that it tracends tube character without the bloat. Power to no extreme and the amplifer does not change character whether you play soft or loud, never heard an amplifier like this in my system. It seems as though it has unlimitless power and even after driving it hard with 86db speakers it is barely warm to the touch.  The end of my sound room is now a stage from top to bottom, side to side. 

My little lovely, with better ears than I,  cannot fathom that this is a transisitor amp.  We have tried many SS amps over the years and rejected every one of them, many even more costly than the Bryston, double the  money in fact.  Don't take my word for it, try one in your system.  It is a lot of amp for the money and in my opinion a bargin compared to other competitive brands availalble.

MOZ

« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2009, 07:39 pm »
James,

What do you think about a 6B SST for the front speakers (Ultima 1 Studio + C30) and a 875 HT for the rears (S30 x 4) ?
Is that, in your expert opinion, a good choice (with limited budget and space in my rack !!!) ?
Thanks by advance for your concern.

MOZ