ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers

FM Acoustics

Re: ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers
« Reply #80 on: 16 Dec 2008, 07:45 pm »
Hi FM,

Correct we were able to increase the performance if bridging the 3B and the 4B while as you say the 7B, 28B and 14B are already series designs.

Correct the series mode gives more Voltage swing and less current whereas the Parallel mode gives more current and less voltage swing. Contrary to popular belief most speakers (4-8 ohms) perform better with high Voltage swing so we rarely sell a Parallel version.

james

Thank you James!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides the superior loudness capability of the Series mode due to a higher Voltage swing, wouldn't an amp in Parallel mode offer a better control of the speaker by having a lower output impedance and higher current delivery, thus a higher damping factor, which will make it more stable driving a complex load?

Out of curiosity, could you give the specifications of the 28B wired in Parallel (W/V/Amperes) to see how it compares to the Series model?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #81 on: 16 Dec 2008, 08:45 pm »
Hi FM,

Correct we were able to increase the performance if bridging the 3B and the 4B while as you say the 7B, 28B and 14B are already series designs.

Correct the series mode gives more Voltage swing and less current whereas the Parallel mode gives more current and less voltage swing. Contrary to popular belief most speakers (4-8 ohms) perform better with high Voltage swing so we rarely sell a Parallel version.

james

Thank you James!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides the superior loudness capability of the Series mode due to a higher Voltage swing, wouldn't an amp in Parallel mode offer a better control of the speaker by having a lower output impedance and higher current delivery, thus a higher damping factor, which will make it more stable driving a complex load?

Out of curiosity, could you give the specifications of the 28B wired in Parallel (W/V/Amperes) to see how it compares to the Series model?

Hi,

While in theory it looks like a parallel amp would have half the output impedance of a single-ended amplifier and thus better control of the speaker cone, in practice a couple of things get in the way of that theory.  One is that the speaker cable generally limits the total damping factor of the setup, so increasing it at the amp doesn't result in as much difference as you might expect.  The second is that solid-state amplifiers cannot be paralleled without inserting a small ballast resistance between the modules' outputs to prevent excessive circulating current in the output stages.  In the case of a 7B SST2, this resistance would be 0.1 Ohms, center-tapped to the output terminal.  That results in a net increase of 0.025 Ohms in the output impedance, which is somewhat more than the net overall decrease in output impedance from the paralleling operation.  Thus, the damping factor of a paralleled amplifier is 300, slightly lower than  the 500 rating on either a single-ended or series-operated amplifier. (Note that the 7B SST2, 14B SST2 and 28B SST2, since they are permanently connected in series operation, can benefit from a reduction in the value of the output inductor for each module. This results in a damping factor the same as a single-ended amp like the 4B SST2).

The 7B SST2 and 14B SST2 already have massive output current capablity; pulses in excess of 60 Amperes per channel can be drawn.  The 28B SST2 almost doubles this, to over 100 amperes per channel.  Thus, there is little likelihood that any speaker would be capable of accepting more current than any of these amps would be capable of delivering.  A paralleled 28B SST2 would have a theoretical output current limit of over 200 Amperes peak, but that could only ever be drawn if a speaker had an impedance that went below 1 Ohm and the amplifier was delivering peaks of over 40,000 Watts (not possible from a wall socket). 

james

Katonoma

« Reply #82 on: 16 Dec 2008, 10:09 pm »
Hi James,

:o What about my brand new 28 BSST received 2 weeks ago (FRANCE) ?

Please let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The 28B is not changing.  The 28B has been such a great sounding amplifier that we decided to move that technology down into the rest of the amplifiers

james

Hi James,

The store I bought my 28B's got for his demo 7Bs that are in fact SST2 (checked on back plate )

Just out of curiosity, my brand new 28Bs do not have the square at the back, is there any particular reason ?

May I suggest that for 28BSST owners and their peace of mind (mine for instance) , BRYSTON could state somewhere (once official launch) that 28BSST and 28SST2 are in fact the same?  :)

Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 16 Dec 2008, 11:04 pm »
Hi James,

:o What about my brand new 28 BSST received 2 weeks ago (FRANCE) ?

Please let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The 28B is not changing.  The 28B has been such a great sounding amplifier that we decided to move that technology down into the rest of the amplifiers

james

Hi James,

The store I bought my 28B's got for his demo 7Bs that are in fact SST2 (checked on back plate )

Just out of curiosity, my brand new 28Bs do not have the square at the back, is there any particular reason ?

May I suggest that for 28BSST owners and their peace of mind (mine for instance) , BRYSTON could state somewhere (once official launch) that 28BSST and 28SST2 are in fact the same?  :)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes this is OFFICIAL - the 28B SST was the first of the SST Squared Series and will not and has not changed.

james

Eric

« Reply #84 on: 17 Dec 2008, 02:50 pm »
What will be the sonic improvments of the new 2 series?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 17 Dec 2008, 04:26 pm »
What will be the sonic improvments of the new 2 series?

Hi Eric,

I posted this earlier but it is the best way to describe the differences as we introduce new models.

Over the many years we have been doing these updates they tend to be more 'evolutionary' rather than 'revolutionary' (other than the ST to the SST) and the same is true with the SST² (squared).

It is a bit of a simplification but if I had to put a word on it I would say our goal has been and always will be 'NUETRALITY". Each progression of amplifier has provided a more 'linear' amplification of the input so hopefully customers hear more of what the source is doing.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #86 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:43 am »
James,

the 28 mono block has two pairs of speaker-cable binding posts. will the new SST2 stereo amps also have two pairs for each channel ?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #87 on: 18 Dec 2008, 11:21 am »
James,

the 28 mono block has two pairs of speaker-cable binding posts. will the new SST2 stereo amps also have two pairs for each channel ?

al.

Hi Al,

No just the 28B has two sets.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #88 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:54 pm »
Hi James, is there any specific (technical) reason why the 7/14 dont have biwire terminals? It would be very useful if these amps had two sets of terminals, as biwiring is difficult and time-consuming to do without them.  Is it possible to get two sets of terminals on special order?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #89 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:59 pm »
Hi James, is there any specific (technical) reason why the 7/14 dont have biwire terminals? It would be very useful if these amps had two sets of terminals, as biwiring is difficult and time-consuming to do without them.  Is it possible to get two sets of terminals on special order?

Hi,

We would have to change the backplate to accomodate two sets of 5-way binding posts which would mean a whole redesign.

I just use our Bryston Spades on one set of cables and Bryston Expandable Bananas on the other set of cables for bi-wiring which works great.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #90 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:45 pm »
Hi David,

We will be using the new Thiel CS2.4SE Signatures -(http://www.thielaudio.com/) in one room. 

Also we will be doing a special presentation with Magnepan in their room using 28B's, BP26, BCD-1, plus Torus and introducing a new Magnepan Mystery System!

james

Where will the Magnepan demo be @ CES?

onthefly

« Reply #91 on: 28 Dec 2008, 02:13 pm »
James

Will any of these upgrades find their way onto your PP300's?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 28 Dec 2008, 02:26 pm »
Hi David,

We will be using the new Thiel CS2.4SE Signatures -(http://www.thielaudio.com/) in one room. 

Also we will be doing a special presentation with Magnepan in their room using 28B's, BP26, BCD-1, plus Torus and introducing a new Magnepan Mystery System!

james

Where will the Magnepan demo be @ CES?

Hi Dave,

They will be in the Alexis Park.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #93 on: 28 Dec 2008, 02:26 pm »
James

Hi,

No the Power Pacs are not being affected by the Squared updates.

james

dennisb

« Reply #94 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:19 pm »
Hi, from what serial No. does the 6B SST also go squared? aa
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 1 Jan 2009, 04:22 pm »
Hi, from what serial No. does the 6B SST also go squared? aa
Thanks

Hi Dennis,

6B SST² started at SN-695

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #96 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:33 am »
James

Hi,

james

Hi James,

Just curious please, why are the Power Pacs being excluded from these nice upgrades?  :?:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 2 Jan 2009, 12:14 pm »
James

Hi,

james

Hi James,

Just curious please, why are the Power Pacs being excluded from these nice upgrades?  :?:

Not excluded just not done yet.  On the PowerPacs it will only be the Balanced input stage that is affected by the changes.

james
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2009, 09:21 pm by James Tanner »

Fallard

« Reply #98 on: 10 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
Hi!
I would like to know if the b100 sst will benefit from the sst-sqare features.

Thanks,

Francois

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:04 pm »
Hi!
I would like to know if the b100 sst will benefit from the sst-sqare features.

Thanks,

Francois

Hi Francois,

No the B100 is an integrated amp so it will not be changing.

james