• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: ANNOUNCING New Bryston SST²(squared) Amplifiers
« Reply #140 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:59 am »
Thanks!

95Dyna

« Reply #141 on: 13 Feb 2009, 02:35 pm »
Hi James,

Your explanation is exactly how I thought the things worked. Right now I don't have the possibility to order a pair of 7B SST2, but I plan to do it when funds will allow. The basic idea is that when ordering it you have to match it to the speakers. An efficient speaker with a low impedance load would be better served by the Parallel version; likewise, inefficient speakers with a load above 4 Ohms would be better served by an amplifier which is able to deliver higher voltage swings than current, so the Series model would be better suited.

I mainly asked because I was struck by the opposite design philosophy which Bryston and Accuphase seem to have. Bryston prefers the voltage camp, while Accuphase the current camp. For example, the Accuphase largest mono amp has a 3kVA transformer and it delivers only 250W into 8 Ohm, but this relative low power rating is compensated by the ability to deliver current and "double down" its power so that it's able to give 2000W at 1 Ohm.

Regarding the slew rate, I've read it on the specs link besides each SST model that opens in a small window with the specifications list. The 14BSST has listed 120V/µs and the 7BSST 60V/µs.

http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/BrystonDocs.html

Bill, I don't know if this is so, because the other stereo models are also 60V/µs.

FM,

I've seen the spec windows on the technical page of the website.  I still think the 14B spec is for both channels (60/channel just like the 7B).  It seems improbable that the 14B would have double the rate of the 7B or 4 times the other amps.  Maybe James could clarify. 

Regards,

Bill

95Dyna

« Reply #142 on: 13 Feb 2009, 02:42 pm »
Hi James,

Your explanation is exactly how I thought the things worked. Right now I don't have the possibility to order a pair of 7B SST2, but I plan to do it when funds will allow. The basic idea is that when ordering it you have to match it to the speakers. An efficient speaker with a low impedance load would be better served by the Parallel version; likewise, inefficient speakers with a load above 4 Ohms would be better served by an amplifier which is able to deliver higher voltage swings than current, so the Series model would be better suited.

I mainly asked because I was struck by the opposite design philosophy which Bryston and Accuphase seem to have. Bryston prefers the voltage camp, while Accuphase the current camp. For example, the Accuphase largest mono amp has a 3kVA transformer and it delivers only 250W into 8 Ohm, but this relative low power rating is compensated by the ability to deliver current and "double down" its power so that it's able to give 2000W at 1 Ohm.

Regarding the slew rate, I've read it on the specs link besides each SST model that opens in a small window with the specifications list. The 14BSST has listed 120V/µs and the 7BSST 60V/µs.

Bill, I don't know if this is so, because the other stereo models are also 60V/µs.

FM,

I've seen the spec windows on the technical page of the website.  I still think the 14B spec is for both channels (60/channel just like the 7B).  It seems improbable that the 14B would have double the rate of the 7B or 4 times the other amps.  Maybe James could clarify. 

Regards,

Bill

FM,

Check out the "Pro Audio Review" of the 14B found oun the Bryston website.  The reviewer states the slew rate of the 14B at 60 V/microsecond.  Again, it is not qualified as to whether it is total or per channel.  I think it's a per channel spec.

http://bryston.com/reviews/14bsst/pro14.html

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #143 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:37 pm »
Hi James,

FM,

Regards,

Bill

Hi All,

The 28B, 14B, and 7B, are 120 volts per microsecond slew rate all the others amps are 60.

james

cfraser

« Reply #144 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:23 pm »
I am just setting up my 9B and 4B SST² amps. They're "replacing" similar ST series amps. My question is regarding the remote power-up sequence, which is a different method than the STs.

Do I take it that this will be the sequence: remote voltage from pre-pro triggers 9B on IN. When the 9B has fully finished its soft startup, the trigger voltage will only then appear on 9B OUT. This goes to 4B IN, and will then start up the 4B, and when its fully finished its soft startup, the trigger voltage will appear on 4B OUT. The 4B OUT can then go on to 4B-ST etc. with appropriate time delay settings.

That's how I read it anyway. My main concern right now is the new (4B and 9B) SST² amps have to be plugged into the same 15A circuit (STs are on a different circuit) until I organise things better, so don't want all the amps powering up at once.

This may be moot anyway, as I typically (lightly) use the amps 16+ hours per day. The STs were on 24/7, and I will probably do the same with the SST²s too. But I'd still like to have the remote turn-on properly configured for those periods if/when my usage changes. Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:30 pm »
I am just setting up my 9B and 4B SST² amps. They're "replacing" similar ST series amps. My question is regarding the remote power-up sequence, which is a different method than the STs.

Do I take it that this will be the sequence: remote voltage from pre-pro triggers 9B on IN. When the 9B has fully finished its soft startup, the trigger voltage will only then appear on 9B OUT. This goes to 4B IN, and will then start up the 4B, and when its fully finished its soft startup, the trigger voltage will appear on 4B OUT. The 4B OUT can then go on to 4B-ST etc. with appropriate time delay settings.

That's how I read it anyway. My main concern right now is the new (4B and 9B) SST² amps have to be plugged into the same 15A circuit (STs are on a different circuit) until I organise things better, so don't want all the amps powering up at once.

This may be moot anyway, as I typically (lightly) use the amps 16+ hours per day. The STs were on 24/7, and I will probably do the same with the SST²s too. But I'd still like to have the remote turn-on properly configured for those periods if/when my usage changes. Thanks.

Hi cfrazer,

Yes as long as you 'daisy chain' the triggers (in and out of same amp) it will not trigger the next amp in line until the previous amp is stable.

I will be very interested in your comments regarding the SST Squared sound vs your ST amps- I await with bated breath!

james
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm by James Tanner »

cfraser

« Reply #146 on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:11 pm »
^ I was going to do a "proper" comparison between equivalent ST and SST² models. But cabling and switching to directly compare, within the available space, turned out to be a real nuisance. Also the amps are kinda heavy to move around and get into the rack (didn't want to scratch them), so I decided to just go ahead and install the new amps (still not finished!). Will have to rely on audio memory LOL.

cfraser

« Reply #147 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:13 pm »
I have another question: The date code on my 4B-SST² is 0830, which appears to be well before the announcement of this model being available in SST², based on the beginning of this thread. What does that mean? It does have the SST2 S/N and front switchplate, yet has the style of binding posts seen on the SST models (with the colored ring inserts). Is it a "hybrid", or what? Thanks.

BTW, the amps are sounding good. I have not had much time with them yet as I used the opportunity of new amps to do some system re-arrangement, and I am slow...

Edit: oops, I re-found James' comment about 4B S/Ns after 4288 being SST². And the changes on the 4B model being relatively small (compared to 7/14Bs). My S/N is well after 4288...the confusing part was the build date of 0830, which I'm guessing was July.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #148 on: 19 Feb 2009, 05:26 pm »
I have another question: The date code on my 4B-SST² is 0830, which appears to be well before the announcement of this model being available in SST², based on the beginning of this thread. What does that mean? It does have the SST2 S/N and front switchplate, yet has the style of binding posts seen on the SST models (with the colored ring inserts). Is it a "hybrid", or what? Thanks.

BTW, the amps are sounding good. I have not had much time with them yet as I used the opportunity of new amps to do some system re-arrangement, and I am slow...

Hi,

Yes we started building 4B SST2 units a few months ago so there will be some minor changes as we moved along. If it has the small 2 in the serial number then it is an SST Squared version.

james

Levi

« Reply #149 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:12 pm »
Hi James,

Talking about thread revival.

I currently have a 9B-SST and 7B-SST amps, do you have trade-in program?

Cheers,

--Levi

drummermitchell

« Reply #150 on: 12 Jun 2009, 02:58 pm »
Trade in,hmmm,I do have a extra 7B-sst,2888888888 :drums:.

Levi

« Reply #151 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:28 pm »
I also have a Bryston SP1.7 proc.   :wink:

I was just informed:

Bryston does not have trade-in program.  :)

Ask your participating Bryston dealer. :lol:

or...Sell High, Buy low.   :thumb: