My 14 YO nephew is taking up the guitar, do you have advice?

Marbles

My 14 year old nephew is pretty good.  I'm going to burn him some CDR's of my favorite blues guitarists (he likes Led Zep) so he can get familiar with guitarists he otherwise might not hear of.

Since I have no musical talent, I was hoping the guitarist or other musicians out there might have some wisdom they could pass along to Mason.

Thanks

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2005, 03:16 am »
Eat, sleep, and drink music, all kinds of music. The more you hear, the better you will be...with alot of practice....A LOT OF PRACTICE !!! :hyper:
    One other tip...there will always be someone else that is better than you....that's just the way it is.... :guitar: [/list:u]
      Good luck and enjoy it Mason !! :wink: [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]
          Oh....and don't forget when visiting Uncle Rob...bring your rig and turn it up to 11.....he'll dig it... :rock:  :lol: [/list:u]

Gordy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2005, 03:31 am »
Some of the up close and personal music dvd's (like SRV or the new Richard Thompson / Sessions at 54 St.) could be great for viewing technique... would that be of any use Chris???

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2005, 03:42 am »
I dont play the guitar, just the keyboard...., but my advice is:

First, let him play the type of music he loves.  Expose him to different types of acoustic, be it rock, folk, classic, international, etc...

Its all about having fun first and foremost.. and the more he explores different genres, the more his skills will hone in!!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2005, 03:49 am »
Quote from: Gordy
Some of the up close and personal music dvd's (like SRV or the new Richard Thompson / Sessions at 54 St.) could be great for viewing technique... would that be of any use Chris???
That's a good start....and you have to start somewhere. Over time a guitarist will develop there own style of playing. Think about it...when you hear different guitarist's music...their style shine's thru, and you know who is playing. Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Brian May, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck...none sound the same....its in their style and tone. 8)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2005, 04:00 am »
Quote from: A6M-ZERO

Its all about having fun first and foremost.....
    That's it...fun.[/list:u]
      2nd. ...I'd list
groupies......or did they come first... :? ...it was awhile ago.... :lol: [/list:u]

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2005, 02:44 am »
Not sure if you mean he is a good kid or he is already good at the guitar even though he is just now taking it up...My advice would be to start NOT with an electric guitar, but probably a classical (nylon strings, what Willie Nelson plays). But most kids want to be a rock star...

This helps wih finger strength, touch and feel of the strings with both hands, control of the sound, tone, etc. with both hands. Also a more musical and "creative" guitar. Plus its more portable and less annoying for parents. Then if he is still interested a few months later he can get into the complexity, expense, and frustration of an electrified system.

Books of simple guitar songs of every variety are best for beginers I think, as opposed to a book of, say, Led Zeppelin or Metallica songs. It ain't gonna happen anyway, so start out with "Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me" and other 2- and 3- chord folk and pop classics. In a book of 100 songs, maybe he will only tackle 5 or 10 at first that he knows very well and enjoys playing, but that is ok.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2005, 04:48 am »
I guess I should have elaborated a bit....Mason does not have a normally wired brain.  From the time I can remember and certainly from the time he was 5, he could draw about as good as anyone I had ever seen.  I took it for granted he could read fine, since all my kids love to read, but Mason has a learning disability when it comes to reading.

6 months ago he went to his mother and told her he was tiring of art and wanted to learn music..the guitar...and she bought him an electric acoustic 3/4 size one and an amp.  A few months after he got the axe, she got him lessons.  When I heard him for the first time last week, we live 700 miles apart, he could play about 25% of the Led Zep songs, or at least the Jimmy Page parts.  This kid has talent.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions so far, I am most grateful.

ScottMayo

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2005, 02:44 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I guess I should have elaborated a bit....Mason does not have a normally wired brain.  From the time I can remember and certainly from the time he was 5, he could draw about as good as anyone I had ever seen.  I took it for granted he could read fine, since all my kids love to read, but Mason has a learning disability when it comes to reading.

Not to intrude, but this sounds something like a minor variant of autism. (Note, I'm not a doctor, but I do have an autistic son). If you haven't had this checked out, it's worthwhile to do so, especially if there are also odd "social disconnects" - stuff people take for granted about human behavior that he just doesn't get. Decent therapies have evolved over the years for helping with this.

My own son obsesses on drawing, has the most golden ears I know (sharper than mine and mine are not bad), and avoids using words when possible, but remembers everything he's ever *seen*. If that's a familiar profile, absolutely ask a doctor about autism spectrum disorders.

And yes, in any case a lot of exposure to music - lots of styles - is a fantastic idea. If possible, arrange for live listening - anything from folk cafes to rock acts on stage. And get recordings of everything you can.

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2005, 04:23 pm »
Hopefully he'll find some friends who are also interested in music and they can get together and jam a lot.  This will allow him to keep his interest level high through the times when learning seems to be going slowly--which for me is most of the time!

Also, if he's been at it six months, time to get him a nicer axe.  Fender Squires are cheap, plentiful and pretty good for a relative beginner.

The most important thing is to make sure people he loves are always ready to listen to the latest thing he's learned---and tell him how great he is.  Even if you don't feel like it.  My son also is learning guitar and now I know how my parents felt when I was growing up...

Also, get him lot s of cd's by Eric Johnson, SRV, David Gilmour, Roy Clark, James Burton, Hendrix, John Williams, Carlos Montoya, Dimebag, Yngwie, Lindsey Buckingham, Clapton, BB...well you get the idea (these are just a few that popped into my head).  Try to expose him to as many different artists and styles as possible.

Regards,

Lee

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:35 am »
Also CDs by Norman Blake, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Ry Cooder, Leo Kottke, Birelli LaGrene, Robert Johnson,  Django Rheinhardt, Charlie Byrd, Ottmar Leibert, Stephen Stills, Neil Young....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2005, 02:23 am »
Quote from: fabaudio
" Rock guitarists play licks, while jazz guitarists tell stories " Pat Metheny

Some good story tellers - Wes Montgomery - John Scoffield - and of course - Pat Metheny  8)
Rock guitarists have plenty of stories as well... :wink:
    Good picks for jazz, Fab...plus George Benson, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Mike Stern, Al Di Meola.[/list:u]
      Wonder what became of Stanley Jordon....he started out strong ??? :? [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2005, 03:08 am »
fabaudio :
    I was ticked off that no one had mentioned any jazz artists and I think it is essential that Mason give them a good listen...
    [/list:u]Your right...and Classical guitarist's as well. But remember, most 14 year old's don't think that way. "Rock and Roll :rock: ....Jazz, whats that" ? Everyone's young once.....just takes time. :thumb:

Digi-G

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2005, 12:06 pm »
    It sounds like he may be further along for my suggestions to help, but I know these would have helped me when I was learning had they been available to me.

A decent guitar tuner.  Battery operated, they cost $40-$50.  Oh, and a capo - that thing that straps across the neck of the guitar to change the key (?) of the sound ($15).

Discovery of tabulated guitar music.  Again, he's probably discovered the vast amount of (free) music posted on the internet.  When I was learning guitar in the mid 80's this wasn't an option.   :?   (Just do a google search on GUITAR TAB).

drphoto

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2005, 12:31 pm »
    I just passed a year in my journey into the guitar. Here's my take on the acoustic vs. electric thing. I started w/ an electric because it is easier to play. I figured the whole thing was hard enough, so why make it more difficult, and frustrating. In April I was given an acoustic for my birthday, so now I alternate on it.

Because I started on electric, I sort of jumped ahead and learned a lot of barre/power chord sort of stuff like Green Day and STP. Now I'm going back and learning all the open chord stuff people normally start with.

Playing with others is a blast and really helps you to learn. I'm lucky that I've got a number of musician frineds who are will to put up with me. They intimidate the hell out me for the most part, so I have the most fun playing with another beginner.

Playing with some sort of timing source like a metronome is a good idea. I use one of those el cheapo Casio keyboads with the built in drum machines. I think the biggest mistakes most beginners make is to get obsessed with playing the right notes and forgetting about rhythm. I'm determined not to 'plod'.

One other thing...if your nephew is really visually oriented...maybe you could introduce him to photography. Thanks to digital it can be a fairly cheap hobby now.

Ears

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2005, 11:55 pm »
    Sounds like your nephew is already well on his way  :D  

Just bought my 12 year old a Gibson SG and a Marshall amp in order to get him to play more and have more interest in becoming a decent player.

It seems to be working as he practices daily which he had quit doing on his 199.00 Fender knock off that he used previously.

I have to wait a bit longer for my new projector upgrade now....but every time I hear him playing, I realize its all worth it. :D