Genghis Blues DVD- 3 thumbs up

alwayslearning

« on: 24 Jul 2005, 12:41 am »
I want to spread my enthusiasm for music & I wasn't sure where to post this.

I don't watch many movies cause there's so much junk out there.  I was late to find out about Genghis Blues.  

A friend recommended renting Genghis Blues.  I rented it, and it's great.  It won Audience Award at Sundance & was nominated for an Academy Award as best documentary.  It's a documentary about a blind blues guitarist from San Francisco.  He follows his muse & connects deeply with people in a totally different culture (Tuva) through throat-singing music.

If you get a chance, rent Genghis Blues.

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2005, 01:57 am »
I second this recommendation.  I viewed this movie 2 months before moving to the capital of Mongolia.  Though the Tuvan singers are originally from the countryside on the edge of the Mongolian/Russian border the friendliness of the Mongols is true.  
Since being here I have seen/heard the throat singers many times.  They sing in a higher pitch than the monks do.  But they both are able to sing in double tones.

Thump553

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2005, 01:49 pm »
Another endorsement for this movie.  A lawyer friend of mine, who in a former career was a roadie, was a friend/acquaitance of Paul Peva, the subject of this movie.

Paul Peva has had a pretty amazing life and career.  He was the writer of "Jetairliner", which Steve Miller made a mega-hit.  Peva's first (and only) rock album is pretty much of a legend-if you ever run across this LP grab it-it's not only very good but is worth a bundle.

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2005, 03:29 pm »
I Heartily Endorse This Documentary as well.  Caught it on TV awhile back and later bought the DVD.  Really colorful characters, interesting music and a very well done film.  I had no idea that was the guy who wrote "big 'ol jed in a lineup', so that's just an added bonus!  Heh! Not really the best technical recordings of the tunes, but it doesn't really matter.  A very unique and feel-good film overall. Definitely worth a rental at least.  :thumb: Just watch out for the sheep scene...not very appetizing!