Remake vs. Original thread??

JoshK

« on: 16 Jul 2005, 01:02 am »
I thought there was a thread about remakes vs. the originals, something like what remakes can arguably be said to be better than the original?  I looked but I didn't find.  Anywho, I had my picks to share:

Jimi Hendrix's version of Bob Dylan's Along the Watchtower
Faith No More's Version of Black Sabbath's War Pigs
Nine Inch's nails version of Adam Ant's Physical & Pigface's Suck

Gordy

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2005, 02:40 am »
One song that immediately came to mind and that must have dozens of remakes, but not one superior to the original, is Peggy Lee's "Fever".  Not my opinion, mind you, simply a fact :D

Remakes that are at least equal to the originals...

Louise Hoffsten's "I Just Want To Make Love To You" (Willie Dixon)

Cowboy Junkies "Sweet Jane" (V.U.) and "Darkness Darkness" (Jesse Colin Young)

Danny Gatton's "Fire" (Bruce Springsteen)

California Guitar Trio's "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Queen)

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2005, 05:16 am »
Time Time Time see whats become of me ,or is it called Hazy Shade of Winter, Simon & Garfunkel's  redone by Bananarama, always one that gets turned up way to loud .

Screamin Jay Hawkins " I put a spell on you" redone by Creedance Clearwater Revival

Songbird by Christine McVee redone by Eva Cassidy

I'm not a lover of remakes but these would definetly rank up there with the best.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2005, 05:34 am »
Quote from: Gordy
Cowboy Junkies "Sweet Jane" (V.U.)

Good one!  I was also going to offer a couple of Willie Dixon songs up but the only ones I heard of his originals were so poorly recorded I cannot say whether it was the recording or his performance.  Probably the most covered blues writer of all time?  Cream, Doors, Led Z, etc, etc....  I love Led Zep's version of "You Shook Me".  One of my favorite LZ tunes.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2005, 06:30 am »
Great topic Josh!  Now if only I had some off the top of my head...ummmm

I'm always surprised to learn that a certain song one remembers is not an original tune.  (usually only applies to music I don't actually own on record) For example, that Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a cover is news to me.

Stumbled across this one on allofmp3.com.  What you thought was hokey 80's pop started life as a hokey country tune:
Naked Eyes "Always Something There To Remind Me" (Don Williams) :lol:

Must do more research...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2005, 06:33 am »
Actually, the Naked Eyes version is a cover, too.  Dion Warwick originally did it, I believe.

W.C.

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2005, 07:59 am »
"House Of The Rising Sun".

Original version done by The Animals
Much better remake version done by Frijid Pink

Gordy

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2005, 11:17 am »
Quote from: W.C.
"House Of The Rising Sun".

Original version done by The Animals
Much better remake version done by Frijid Pink

Alan Price wrote the words for House of the Rising Sun, but the tune is actually a traditional one, AKA Amazing Grace!

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2005, 01:12 pm »
These may be blasphemous to some,

-Manfred Man's versions of "Blinded by the Light" and "For You" over the Springsteen originals.  

-Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" over Jimi's

-Jeff Beck's "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" over the Mingus original

On the flip side, I've never heard anyone do a Beatles song better than the original...

lcrim

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2005, 03:35 pm »
Coming from the contrarian tradition I have repeatedly set people straight re: "I Shot the Sheriff."  Seems like most folks think of it as an Eric Clapton piece, when the superior real deal and original is authored by Bob Marley (and the Wailers.)
Wholeheartedly agree about Cowboy Junkies version of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane."

Digi-G

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2005, 09:08 pm »
I'd have to agree with most of the tunes listed here (the ones that I know) being better than the originals.

Hazy Shade of Winter was redone by the Bangles (unless Bananarama did it too).  I never really cared for Claptons version of I shot the Sheriff.

There's a whole handful of Dylan songs where I like the remakes better (Mr Tambourine Man (Byrds), My Back Pages (Byrds, Bob did a version of this didn't he?), Blowin in the Wind (Peter Paul & Mary), etc.

REM Did a cool remake of Draggin the Line (Tommy James) and an great acoustic version of Love is All Around (The Troggs).

Man, there's probably a bunch on them, but I'm brain-dead right now... :?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2005, 09:16 pm »
Ed McMahon'svoice" You are correct sir" about the Bangles doing Hazy Shade of Winter. My mistake not Bananarama

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2005, 11:47 pm »
Here's one..."I Drove All Night"...written for Roy Orbison with a demo recorded, recorded and released by Cyndi Lauper first, then later released by Roy Orbison.  Which is the original and which is the remake?

No disrespect to Roy, but I actually like the Cyndi Lauper version better (I think it's the best recording she's ever made)...

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2005, 02:56 am »
I am serious here....

William Shatner's version of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" towers above the original by the Beatles and the version by Elton John.

drphoto

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:04 pm »
I personally think Ryan Adams version of "Wonderwall" kills the Oasis verison. When I saw him live he also did a superslow cover of "Brown Sugar" accompanying himself on the piano. It was just filthy. I mean when you really slow it down and listen to the words.......

Soundbitten

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2005, 11:08 pm »
I prefer Thin White Rope's version of Yoo Doo Right over Can's original though they are both excellent .