Wilco

LFE

Wilco
« on: 26 Jun 2005, 11:10 pm »
If you want to check out an AMAZING band, pick-up Wilco's "A Ghost is Born" I just saw them live in SF and I was blown away!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Wilco
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2005, 11:15 pm »
Yes, they are great.  And although AGIB is very good, I love Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and SummerTeeth even more, and the demo versions are kinda fun with extra tracks, etc..  I assume they did many from both of these releases in the SF show.  They usually do.

Ted

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Wilco
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2005, 11:35 pm »
Don't forget their earlier work, especially "Being There".  It's a double cd and there isn't a bad song on either cd!!

George

Soundbitten

Wilco
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2005, 03:18 am »
How about Mermaid Ave. & Mermaid Ave. II ? Wilco with Billy Bragg singing Woody Guthrie songs...great !

ctviggen

Wilco
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2005, 01:02 pm »
While I like Wilco, can anyone tell me if they've made it all the way through A Ghost is Born?  Personally, there are two songs where the feedback is so bad, I have to skip to the next song.  There's one song where I forced myself to listen the whole way through; on the other, I've never been able to force myself to listen to it the entire way through.  Wilco has also been on Austin City Limits.

ted_b

• Volunteer
Wilco
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2005, 02:59 pm »
If you like Wilco, their doucumentary on the making of YHF titled "I AM Trying To Break Your Heart" is great.  It shows how the band evolved out of the alt-country sound of AM and Being There, and how the label had issues with it.  They dropped them after hearing the demo tapes of YHF and the band had to go peddle for a new label.  YHF ended up being album of the year on many peoples lists.  The video has great music, a bit overdone b&w artsy look, and a great vision into how Jeff controls the flow; and how Jay Bennett, a real force early in the band's evolution, was pushed out.

Yeah, Less Than You Think is a tough one to not hit "skip" on.  I do it all the time.   I love Neil Young, too, but don't listen to Arc Weld.

Ted

jcrane

Wilco
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2005, 12:30 am »
If you are digging WILCO, then check out the band UNCLE TUPELO, it is more or less Wilco and Billy Brag before they split. I think all of the CDs they released have been reissued. Pretty amazing stuff, less comercial than Wilco,  but a great listen nonetheless!

Jamie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Wilco
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2005, 04:17 am »
Quote from: jcrane
If you are digging WILCO, then check out the band UNCLE TUPELO, it is more or less Wilco and Billy Brag before they split. I think all of the CDs they released have been reissued. Pretty amazing stuff, less comercial than Wilco,  but a great listen nonetheless!

Jamie

One small correction...

Billy Bragg was not in Uncle Tupelo.

Also, Uncle Tupelo split and part of the band followed Jeff Tweedy and formed Wilco.  While part of the band followed Jay Farrar and formed Son Volt.

Great music all around.

George

sts9fan

Wilco
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2005, 02:02 pm »
"less comercial than Wilco"

Do you really think Wilco is commercial?
Anyway I saw them on Friday and was blown away. Tweedy is the man!!
I still think YHF is their best album but being there and summerteeth are close behind. AGIB does have some amazing tracks though. Spiders and Handshake Drugs ar world class songs imho.

And yes I have listened to AGIB all the way through and liked it.
I guess you would have a hard time getting through "Yoshimbi Battles the Pink Robots"

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Wilco
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2005, 04:44 pm »
Wow, someone else who listens to The Flaming Lips.  Love Yoshimi, but I'm in awe of The Soft Bulletin.  Great band, sorry to go off topic....

ted_b

• Volunteer
Wilco
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2005, 05:58 pm »
Yoshimi in 5.1 DVD-A is unbelievable!  Quite aggressive, but meant to be.  A great DVD-Audio disc.

Ted

sts9fan

Wilco
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2005, 12:21 pm »
The Soft Bulletin is truly awsome

LFE

White Stripes
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2005, 03:19 pm »
If you like anything by Wilco, I must insist you pick up the new White Stripes "Get behind me satan"

I love it!