2.0 Garage system - looking for ideas

chip

2.0 Garage system - looking for ideas
« on: 18 Nov 2016, 06:25 pm »
Looking to replace garage system.

I will use a raspberry pi(moodeaudio) as my source.

Lamp at $100.
 - SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier - $68.99
 - Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Mini Amplifier 60 WPC - $78
 - Monoprice Compact Stereo Hybrid 15-watt Tube Amp with Bluetooth $99

speakers at $200.
ELAC - Debut B5 - $199
Modified Parts Express BR-1 kit - $210  tad over
Wavecrest HVL-1 $229 tad over
Fostex P1000E DIY Kanspea 4" Full Range Speaker Kit - $139
Polk Audio RTI A1 - $199
JBL Arena 120 - $199
MartinLogan Motion® 2 - $199

Another option -
Monoprice Stereo Tube Amp System with Bluetooth® and 4-inch Select Speakers
Product # 13807
$199.99

Anything to look at on used market(craigslist)?

coke

Re: 2.0 Garage system - looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2016, 09:16 pm »
I use a set of Swans powered computer monitors in my garage.  Very simple solution.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2016, 09:23 pm »
Internet radio, Audioengine A2+.

Odal3

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2016, 09:39 pm »
Since it will be in the garage (meaning it doesn't necessarily need to look fancy or meet any WAF), why not take the opportunity to buy one of the cheap but very good sounding amp boards? I found it really rewarding and educational to put one together and you can either go with prepopulated pcb boards or one that you need to put everything together yourself. The TPA3116 or the 7297 amps comes to mind.

The Allo amps is getting good reviews as well and I think they even offer it as a bundle with the kali reclocker for the RPI.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/volt-amp.html

srb

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2016, 09:42 pm »
The 2.75" drivers of the Audioengine A2 sound a bit too lean unassisted and I think for me, ~ 4" is probably my minimum (the exception perhaps being the < 4" Genelec true active).

chip

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2016, 10:31 pm »
That Allo amp is a good option as well............... :scratch: Decisions.

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2016, 12:09 am »

My "case" for something like this would be a block of wood, and you can just screw the board into the wood to secure it.

Looks like crap, but its really easy  8)

Wires are secured with wire clamps, tie downs or hot glue

lacro

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:02 pm »
I too feel you should consider getting one of the inexpensive Class D (TPA3110/3116/3118) or chip amp (TDA7297) boards, and mount it on a piece of wood. The "Volt" amp Odal3 suggested would be a good choice.  Here's one I recently set-up for evaluation. I will eventually be installing this one in a nice case, but it's totally functional as is. This particular board is the DIY Audio group buy "Wiener" amp using the TDA 3118 chip, with quality parts throughout. It can be powered by a 12-24V power supply such as a laptop brick. It sounds fantastic!

You don't need to be a hard core DIY'er to build one of these. Here I am using cheap solder type connectors for input, power, and output, but you could use RCA, power jack, and speaker posts that do no require soldering. Most of these amp boards have screw down input/output connections so you could assemble one of these with just a screwdriver in 15 minutes.

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2016, 03:21 pm »
Looking to replace garage system.

I will use a raspberry pi(moodeaudio) as my source.

Lamp at $100.
 - SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier - $68.99
 - Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Mini Amplifier 60 WPC - $78
 - Monoprice Compact Stereo Hybrid 15-watt Tube Amp with Bluetooth $99

speakers at $200.
ELAC - Debut B5 - $199
Modified Parts Express BR-1 kit - $210  tad over
Wavecrest HVL-1 $229 tad over
Fostex P1000E DIY Kanspea 4" Full Range Speaker Kit - $139
Polk Audio RTI A1 - $199
JBL Arena 120 - $199
MartinLogan Motion® 2 - $199

Another option -
Monoprice Stereo Tube Amp System with Bluetooth® and 4-inch Select Speakers
Product # 13807
$199.99

Anything to look at on used market(craigslist)?

I have the smaller Kanspeaker with the 3" driver.  I have been using it everyday in my class.  Sounds excellent BUT, depending on the size of the garage, perhaps a sub will be on call.  Clear, very clear delivery.  The amp is a 15 watt digital integrated.  I forgot the model.  They do not make them anymore. 

Class D board + some sort of used speaker sounds to be on call.  No powered stuff for me unless you want to chuck it when the electronics go bust. 

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2016, 03:57 pm »

The key to a good tpa311x amp is making sure the output filter matches speaker impedance. So if you have 4 or 8 ohms etc make sure the tpa amp is tailored for it. Otherwise I'd pick another option.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:44 pm »
If you are wanting a little larger speaker with good midbass and a warmer sound, consider the Boston Acoutstic CS26ii.  They use a 6.5" woofer and sound very good at $200pr.  I have a friend that has them with Marantz gear and they sound great.  They perform above their price point. 

Those Martin Logan's will sound very clear but thin,  they need a sub for sure.  The Elac's will need more power to play loud.  I believe their Sensitivity is 85 or 86db.

I have a Dayton Audio DTA-100a amp driving a pair of Monitor Audio S1's and it sounds great, punchy bass, good air and transparency with a wide sound stage.  It plays very loud.  The DTA-120 is a little more powerful and better built.  Figure about 25 to 30wpc actual usable watts as the distortion increases above this.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2016, 06:44 pm »
These Klipsch Powered speakers are all you need, just connect to your phone with bluetooth and you are done. They are currently 30% off too:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15PM-Powered-Monitor-Black/dp/B01A7J534G

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:26 am »
How about these JBL powered speakers? http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128892.0

dburna

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:14 am »
How about these JBL powered speakers? http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128892.0

+1 on the JBL LSR305s.  I just picked up a pair for my work desk (working from home) and have been delighted with the sound for the money.  Haven't truly cranked these, however, so I can't speak to how well they might do in a larger environment. 

-dB

KR500

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2016, 02:14 pm »
I have both the Dayton amp and the SMSL .
The Dayton amp is kind of underwhelming and the input jack fell off the first time I used it.
Had to to return it it for a replacement. It's in my small workshop and it's okay for that .
I have been using the SMSL for TV for a long time now and it is definitely better than the Dayton.My dos centavos

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:08 pm »
The Dayton amp is kind of underwhelming and the input jack fell off the first time I used it.
Had to to return it it for a replacement. It's in my small workshop and it's okay for that .
I have been using the SMSL for TV for a long time now and it is definitely better than the Dayton.My dos centavos

Which Dayton?  DTA-100a or the DTA-120?

KR500

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2016, 08:01 pm »
Sorry , yes the later 120

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2016, 08:23 pm »

What do you like better about the sound between the 2 amps?  I am looking at buying another C&C digital amp for a spare bedroom.  I was going to buy another DTA.

chip

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:36 pm »
Great info keep it coming while I enjoy some beers on vacation.  :beer:

KR500

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2016, 12:45 am »
I thought the Dayton had more "low end " but it seemed like distortion being emphasized really. Pretty lo-fi sounding and disappointing .
The SMSL is definitely clearer sounding and for the fifty so bucks I paid a better sounding C+C amp
The $99 on sale Audio Source Amp 100 I modded blows it out of the water by miles but it also costs twice as much as the SMSL unmodified . The extra mods move it a better category but then it also has a much larger footprint than either the Dayton or SMSL.