Most invisible mini-monitor under $700? Epiphany, MA Studio2

mtwhickory

Two weeks ago I caught a horrible sickness.  I've had it before and it has once again taken over my life!  I call it audioitis.  There I was sitting in front of my HT system (Def Tech BP2006, ctr, rears to match, ATI 1505 amp, Sony SDP-E800, Pioneer Elite DVD, and Tributaries cables) "listening" to a TV show when I realized that I hadn't really listened to a music cd in 2 years!  I asked myself why and came up with two main reasons, 1) there was no magic to the music, and 2) all the fun was gone.  Something had to be done!  I quickly decided that the best answer was the proverbial "second stereo-only system".  I have had stereo only systems before with various combinations of Monitor Audio 700/301; Moscode 600maxi/B&K ST202+; APT Holman/Lazarus Cascade Basic/Counterpoint; LP12; Audioquest; and on, and on...  The Moscode/Lazarus/MA 700 combo was the closest to musical nirvana I ever came but was erroneously sold long ago.  A friend of mine in Anchorage had a killer system with an old Nak receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 2 speakers.  You could walk right up to the speakers and still couldn't tell the sound was coming from them!  They truly disappeared.  So this became my rough draft for my new stereo-only system.  

Action: I caught it so bad that I went down to my basement and unpacked all my old early-mid 1990's Stereophiles and looked for old mid-fi I might now find used!  Then I sold my ATI 1505 and my Sony processor on Ebay and bought a B&K AVR307 receiver.  I lost separates but gained DTS and the ability to use the DVD-Audio/SACD features of my Elite DVD player.  I also came to the conclusion that my Tributaries silver speaker cable is too bright so I purchased a "grab bag" full of AudioQuest/Transparent/Straight Wire cables which included various lengths and quantities of Midnight and Indigo.  While I was at it, I sold my fairly new Mitsubishi HS-U795 SVHS VCR and bought a 10 year old HS-U71 SVHS that is much better quality (when I get this disease it hits hard!).  

Now I turned my attention to the stereo system.  After weeks of computer research, countless reviews read, hours Ebaying/Audiogoning, and several back and forth emailing with similarly sick audiophiles, I have narrowed the choices down to the following:

Power- Jolida 202 or 302, Khartago/Etesian, or good Nak receiver (TA4 or 3, or RE-1)
Speakers- Odyssey Epiphany or Monitor Audio Studio 2
CD- Nakamichi or Sony ES (used/Ebay)

Advise/recommendations:  Has anyone listened to both the MA Studio 2 and Epiphany speakers?  The object here is holographic imaging!!! I want a pair of mini-monitors that DISAPPEAR!!!  Panels need not apply since I want to be ably to move my head (and cost prohibitions).  I also considered the Celestion SL700/600SE speakers but ruled those out because of cost and inefficiency.

Anyone listened to either of these two speakers with a Jolida amp?  Any other amp/integrated suggestions for holographic imaging?  I really like the Golden Tube Audio 40 years ago and considered the SI-50 or Anthem Integrated 1 but worry about service/reliability.

Main factors are:
#1-cost.  I want to keep this simple and cheap (fun).  
#2-Sonic invisibility!!!  Quantity of bass is not important.  Flat response/timbre/mid/high/female voices/Dick Olsher/Robert Harley not important!  I want a speaker that brings back the magic (read Wes Phillips review of the Monitor Audio studio 2, Stereophile Feb 1995- no talk of specs, just magic).

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  Please help me find the magic again!

Double Ugly

« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2004, 09:18 pm »
Text deleted due to poster ignorance.

DU

audioslave

epiphany
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2004, 12:46 am »
I listened to the Epiphany's at HE2004 and all I can say is "wow"! :D I have never heard of a speaker that small and inexpensive produce such a HUGE soundstage! If you are looking for speakers that disappear-these little puppies are your ticket to refound audio nirvana. I would go to the Odyssey site and look for a review of these speakers. They were highly impressed and all I can say is that I concur 100%. It is not lacking in the bass either.
Many reviewers have mentioned the $1500 system that Klaus sells as a stone-cold bargain in their general room reviews of HE2004. Paired with the Khartago/Etesian combination it is killer. Back when I was looking for a CDP, Klaus enthusiastically recommended the Sony 222es. There are excellent deals on the 'gon for these players. I myself got the 555es because I had the xtra $'s in the budget.
I would suggest you give Klaus a call and speak to the man in person. He is highly knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Good Luck and glad you came back to your 2-channel senses! :lol:

Rocket

system recommendations
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2004, 01:01 am »
Hi,

Firstly, i don't have any products from odyssey so i can give you an unbiased opinion.  

I don't think you can go past the recommendations that klaus receives for his products.  If you can't listen to all the products your considering inhouse then you should seriously look at the odyssey products.

In the 80's i had a pair of monitor audio 352's which received many raves in the uk audiophile press.  I found them to have fairly cheap drivers and xover.  May'be they have improved.

good luck.

rod

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:49 am »
Hi mtwhickory,

I won't make any comments on the Epiphony's since I own a pair.

We just finished up with a listening session at my house this evening where the guys that showed up did most of the listeing on the system with the Epiphony's.

If you go down to the Gateway Audio Society (GAS) regional circle and post a question about the guys impressions of them, they'll give it to you straight. Nearly everybody in our circle have heard them but the guys that were here tonight were G, bosterkiskco, Mike D and one of Mikes friends Kendrick.

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2004, 06:24 am »
Okay...I'm the odyssey dealer in singapore. So I suppose you should take this with a pinch of salt. Anyhow...here's what I think about the Epiphony...

http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com/Epiphony.htm