Super V co-axial baffle in granite?

Trismos

Re: Super V co-axial baffle in granite?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:19 pm »
Wouldn't the wood screws be a conduit for vibrations and negate the foam effect?

I was going to suggest that the holes for the screws could be bigger than the screw itself so it rides up and down like a shock absorber might, but that seems a little sketchy. Maybe if the screw had a soft plastic sleeve. Like tubing.

On the other hand it would seem easier just to have soft foam on both the bottom and top of the cross-over enclosure so it sits fairly snug sandwiched in between when all closed up. 

nickd

« Reply #21 on: 26 Nov 2012, 08:37 pm »
I used soft rubber bushings under the crossover board too. I suppose you could enlarge the screw hole and use rubber grommets top and bottom (like a compressor bushing). At some point, you just have to build it. The drive to hear them play just takes over :guitar:

I stopped tweeking so I could start listening. My V's are on spikes front and back. They weigh about 200 LB. I suppose most vibration is drained to the floor. The liberal application of no-rez vinyl & foam made more difference than anything else. I also used inserts and machine screws instead of wood screws.

I think my pair is one of 3 pair of cabinets made with Baltic birch plywood by Jparkur. I picked the plywood because I have always liked the natural warmth of the material. I have considered granite in other builds as the material is reasonable now and the fabricators are hungry. I think the sound of granite in a loudspeaker might be cold and hard however. That's why I never persued it any further. I read somewhere that it is not a naturally damped material. I have seen it used on turntable plinths though :dunno: 

Trismos

« Reply #22 on: 27 Nov 2012, 04:27 am »

I have considered granite in other builds as the material is reasonable now and the fabricators are hungry. I think the sound of granite in a loudspeaker might be cold and hard however. That's why I never persued it any further. I read somewhere that it is not a naturally damped material.

The cabinet is not supposed to "sound" ......

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #23 on: 27 Nov 2012, 05:33 am »
Wouldn't the wood screws be a conduit for vibrations and negate the foam effect?

I used isolation discs, 4 of them between each crossover board on both my builds. The screws simply help the crossover board in place, but will not transfer energy as the holes were drilled in the crossover cabinet to let the screws drift.

nickd

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:51 pm »
The cabinet is not supposed to "sound" ......

Agreed,
but they all do, even the exotic types (made from phenolic sheets or synthetic resin / mineral blends) can have a "dead" sound.
Well maybe "mostly dead" :lol:
Cabinets for me are a blend of art and science. I haven't built a perfect one yet. I'll keep trying though.

Trismos

« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2012, 09:08 pm »

Agreed,
but they all do, even the exotic types (made from phenolic sheets or synthetic resin / mineral blends) can have a "dead" sound.
Well maybe "mostly dead" :lol:
Cabinets for me are a blend of art and science. I haven't built a perfect one yet. I'll keep trying though.

I hear you. The granite was mainly going to be an aesthetic touch to showcase the P-Audio co-axial. Something like this:

Bizarroterl

« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2012, 05:58 pm »
If you're still having problems getting the granite company to respond it may be because they don't know how to make the cuts you need.  If that's the case you could look for a waterjet service company.  They can cut stone almost any way you want.  I had some wall plates cut from some travertine I was using and the cuts they made were extremely accurate.

nickd

« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:00 pm »
The granite will look awesome indeed. I might worry about it cracking when you tighten down the P Audio coax. That driver is a beast.

Trismos

« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:29 pm »
The granite will look awesome indeed. I might worry about it cracking when you tighten down the P Audio coax. That driver is a beast.

There would be no lack of grommets and gaskets!