BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces

Hear Clifford Brown

Re: BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces
« Reply #420 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:06 am »
Thanks, I get it.  My friend has a BDP-1, sounds pretty amazing, he uses mPad.  I asked him and he said he never tried Max or Min, only went there to change settings and download the latest firmware, and that they work although not near as nice as MPad.  I'm happy knowing I can use them with my MacBook on an interim basis or longer until I decide to buy an iPad. 

gil99

« Reply #421 on: 9 May 2014, 09:31 pm »
New Mpod update available.

Gil

dlach

« Reply #422 on: 14 May 2014, 09:19 pm »
Hey James,

Not sure if anyone's previously listed the Cantata mpd client for windows & linux.  I just happened to stumble on it...still playing with it...Denny

https://code.google.com/p/cantata/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #423 on: 14 May 2014, 09:52 pm »
Hey James,

Not sure if anyone's previously listed the Cantata mpd client for windows & linux.  I just happened to stumble on it...still playing with it...Denny

https://code.google.com/p/cantata/

Thanks - let me know how it performs

james

dlach

« Reply #424 on: 15 May 2014, 04:13 am »
James,
Well, Cantata is turning into a pleasant surprise...at least for the half hour I played with it tonight.  It's a QT4 mpd  client for windows/linux that actually doesn't look like someone's first year programming project. Optional menu tabs can be configured down the left side of the screen.  Searches of my reasonably large music library are lightening fast for both albums and artists and playlist with values returned as I'm typing the search criteria.  Displays can be configured for simple or detailed tree structures.  Dozens of  stations of all genres are predefined in the Streaming tab, and there's some cool extra artwork, artist bio and lyrics displayed in the Info tab for the current playlist file.

I normally control my BDP-1 with MPDroid on my Motorola Xoom, which I think is the best Android app for the BDP.  But Windows users looking for something more comprehensive should checkout Cantata at the link above.  It installed with no problems on my Windows 8.1 laptop and connected promptly after typing in the IP address of my BDP-1.

There's one annoyance I found so far, when playing multiple tracks, at track change, it displays an error message of "unknown command - replay_gain_status"  Good luck getting that one to work.  So far, I haven't been able to configure that message out.

So, Windows folks...try it, you might like it.    -Denny

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #425 on: 15 May 2014, 10:22 am »
Thanks Denny - much appreciated.

james

ttsto

« Reply #426 on: 15 May 2014, 05:35 pm »
Thanks, Denny!

Quite captivating, it manages to distract me from normal tasks I do on PC :)

I like the most that it retrieves from different services "Similar Artists" and underlines the one you have in your library!

hawkeye99

« Reply #427 on: 15 May 2014, 05:59 pm »
I'm liking Cantata. It's similar to Gnome but Gnome doesn't seem to be supported any longer. Good find.

MoPac

« Reply #428 on: 25 Jun 2014, 02:06 pm »
 I don't own a BDP yet ( I know. Shame on me ).

My library consists of mostly ripped WAV with some FLAC downloads.  All the tagging was done manually, if necessary( mostly Classical ), using J River.  The tags are embedded in the FLAC files, which implys, to me, MPad would show the tags as shown in J River.  How would MPad display the WAV tags?

Thanks, Mop

MoPac

« Reply #429 on: 19 Jul 2014, 04:12 pm »
The full screen album art is good for me. Seems a bit faster as well.

Hey Alpha10
 I'm new to the BDP-2 ( got it yesterday ) and I'm new to MPAD ( version 2.1 ).  Having trouble getting album art to display.  My library folders  ( used with a Squeezebox Touch ) are set up like this:
 Genre ( Classical, Jazz etc. )
    Artist or Composer last name
        Album
 In the Artist folder are the tracks and an album art file with the naming structure [artist],[album] ie.
Shostakovich, Symphony No. 4.jpg.  All art shows using iPeng to control the touch.

Now I read that the above folder and art name arrangement will probably not work with MPAD, so I loaded some music on a thumb drive with the folder structure:
 Music
   Artist
     Album
 This time I renamed the art folder.jpg.  Then in "Connections" I set the URL and "Cover Filename" to:
   bryston-bdp-2.local/Music. ( I do have  http://  preceding it but did not want this to show as a link )
   folder.jpg
 Then I cleared the cache, closed and reopened MPAD.   Still no art.
P.S. the Moose shows the art.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Rich :duh:

MoPac

« Reply #430 on: 22 Jul 2014, 05:46 pm »
Update on MPAD album art.
 Changed the URL in "Connections > Advanced > Local Cover Art" to the IP Address instead of bryston-BDP-2.....  The art shows now.  The name of the root folder does not have to be "music" either.
 Yea! The art works :D
 Nea. I have to change all the art names to "folder.jpg" :cuss: :cuss:

Why can't MPAD use the first picture file it sees.  It knows where it got the track; Get the art from the same place.  Who cares what name the art has!

Spyman

« Reply #431 on: 23 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm »
I don't know who cares, but I just spent 5 days changing all my file names! I'll try your method of putting the address in instead of "bryston-bdp" etc. in Mpad. I hope it works!
Terry

MoPac

« Reply #432 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:53 pm »
Anybody:
  Have a very strange issue with MPAD.  There are, in some cases, two albums shown for the same artist in "Album" view: one showing the album art and all the tracks, and one blank album art with the notation  "???? -0 tracks - 0:00".  This blank album art does not show in "Artist" view.
  The tracks for the album came from the same drive, but from two different folders.  One was "Rock" and the other "Extra Rock".  Once the tracks from the two different source folders were combined J River was used to check the tags.  Don't know where this mystery album is coming from!  Anyone ever see this?
  NOTE:  Most of the albums in my library came from two separate folders as described above, yet only some show this strange empty-album partner. :scratch:

Thanks
Rich
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2014, 10:24 pm by MoPac »

R. Daneel

« Reply #433 on: 27 Aug 2014, 07:43 am »
Hi fellas!

I need a bit of help here.

Okay, so I connected the BDP-1 to a network switch. I have copied the IP address from the BDP-1 display into the Firefox address bar on the PC and it opened the interface. Which interface is this? Is this the "MAX" version?

Also, I have done the same thing on the Android smartphone in it's Chrome browser and it opened a very similar application that seems to have less menus. Is this the "MINI" version then?

I also see that the interface says "New firmware version available". How can this be when the machine has been with me for less than one week?
Cheers!
Antun
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2014, 09:13 am by R. Daneel »

Wapiti

« Reply #434 on: 28 Aug 2014, 12:51 am »
With respect to your last question, this is not uncommon; all it takes is for the unit to leave the factory with the then current version and - during distribution - a firmware update is released.

I just received a new mastering deck today.  One of the first things I did was to check for new firmware.  The latest version was released six weeks ago.  My new machine had the previous version on it.  It is now up to date. :)

steve88d

« Reply #435 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:03 pm »
Hi. Just bought a BDP-1 second hand (under warranty from an authorised dealer) It it connected to my BDA-1 and sounds spectacular. Trouble is I can only control it from the front panel. I have plugged the unit in to my router (lan cable) and typed bryston-bdp-1.local in to the address bar but all I get are google search returns on web pages containing bryston subject matter. I have reset the router, reset the network under setting on the front screen of the BDP and swapped out lan cables, still nothing. Getting very frustrated that I have only basic control over the player and have to go over to the rack to do it. BTW the lights at the Ethernet connection plug on the BDP are lit and flash and the light on the plug at the router light wheb the cable is plugged in to it. My computer knowledge is about depleted at this point. Please help.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #436 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:15 pm »
Hi. Just bought a BDP-1 second hand (under warranty from an authorised dealer) It it connected to my BDA-1 and sounds spectacular. Trouble is I can only control it from the front panel. I have plugged the unit in to my router (lan cable) and typed bryston-bdp-1.local in to the address bar but all I get are google search returns on web pages containing bryston subject matter. I have reset the router, reset the network under setting on the front screen of the BDP and swapped out lan cables, still nothing. Getting very frustrated that I have only basic control over the player and have to go over to the rack to do it. BTW the lights at the Ethernet connection plug on the BDP are lit and flash and the light on the plug at the router light wheb the cable is plugged in to it. My computer knowledge is about depleted at this point. Please help.

Hi Steve

Have you tried typing in the IP address shown on the BDP instead of the bryston-bdp-1.local?  It will be something like 192.168.1.149 

The IP address is shown by hitting the up arrow on the BDP while it shows BDP-1 on the BDP front panel screen.  If no IP address is shown then it is not connected to the router,

james

steve88d

« Reply #437 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:20 pm »
Yes I have. I have found the IP address on the player's front panel and entered it in the address bar all I get is web page unavailable.

steve88d

« Reply #438 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:33 pm »
When I put the IP address in to the address bar I am getting a web site called starwebsearch.com that links me to on line compute games???

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #439 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm »
When I put the IP address in to the address bar I am getting a web site called starwebsearch.com that links me to on line compute games???

OK let me send this to Chris and see if he can help - I assume you refreshed the webpage and possibly try emptying your cache.

james