First stab at a turntable since the 70's.

pansixt

Re: First stab at a turntable since the 70's.
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:08 pm »
That is a wide variety of tables.
The Clearaudio Concept has gotten some good reviews.
But if you can swing it, I would have to agree with Neo, and look very hard at the Scout.
If I were to pick up a second table or one to replace my Sota, that would most likely be the one.

James

Bigload

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2011, 04:46 am »
I did a bunch of on line browsing, read a ton of reviews, and ended up ordering a Music Hall MMF-5.1 Special Edition.  Not really sure how good it is, but it should be plenty good enough to get started.  Then I got way back in the bottom of a storage closet and dug out my old albums.  Can't wait to give them a spin.  I don't think they have seen the light of day since '76.  Jefferson Starship, Iron Butterfly, BTO, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Skynrd, Allman Bros, Foghat, HUH?  Did I really listen to that stuff?  Wish I could fit in those old Levi big bells too.  This will be fun. 

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:29 am »
I played records this morning for the first time in over 25 years.  I have 70's RR too, but today I listened to Bernadette Peter's first album, Everything but the Girl, and Joni Mitchell's Miles of Aisles.

It was fun.

Bigload

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2011, 02:34 pm »
I will have to get busy and get some new vinyl bought to go along with all of the old 70's stuff as well.  These days, I am a little more into Jennifer Warnes, Chris Botti, Ray Charles, Diana Krall and Miles Davis type stuff.  Drives my kids nuts. 

Bigload

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2011, 03:40 am »
Now that I have a MH MMF5.1SE headed my way....

I need to get my phono pre plan lined out.  I can use my Onkyo AVR (TX-NR5007, a dandy AVR) until I get my longer term strategy in place.  I can send my AVA Star hybrid pre amp back to Frank and have him add the phono circuits.  Or...I can buy a stand alone phono pre.  What suggestions would you guys have for a stand alone that would be a good compliment for my system?  Or...forget the stand alone and go the AVA route??  Suggestions??  Thanks.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2011, 08:34 pm »
I have the Insight+ AVA board in both of my Insight+ EC preamps and it is an excellent board. Few outboards under a grand will touch it.

Wayner

WC

« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2011, 09:37 pm »
I have the Insight+ AVA board in both of my Insight+ EC preamps and it is an excellent board. Few outboards under a grand will touch it.

Wayner

Frank sells it for $750 on it own.

Bigload

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm »
I'm boxing up my AVAStar tonight and it will be on its way back to Minnesota.  Thanks!

Bigload

« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2011, 04:31 am »
My new MH 5.1SE arrived this afternoon.  OMG!  I think I get it.  Nothing has ever sounded better coming out of my Salk HT2TL's.  Nothing.  I started out with the new Pat Metheny "What's it All About" album.  Just blew me away.  And.... I am using my AVR (Onkyo 5007) as a pre until I get my AVAStar back from Frank.    Who cares about a few pops and ticks.  They are few and far in between and the incredible sound quality more than makes up for that.  I realize that this TT may not be the best one out there from all I read.  But it ain't bad!  And, it sure put a smile on my face tonight.     

DaveyW

« Reply #29 on: 6 Aug 2011, 06:46 am »
Who cares about a few pops and ticks.   

Unless caused by physical damage (scratches etc.), this is generally remidied by the use of a good Record Cleaning Machine - either bought or DIY.
Plenty of threads here on this topic.

And, it sure put a smile on my face tonight.   

Ahhh! And that's what it's all about - Welcome Back To Vinyl Mr. Load  8)

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 6 Aug 2011, 11:49 am »
Now that I have a MH MMF5.1SE headed my way....

I need to get my phono pre plan lined out.  I can use my Onkyo AVR (TX-NR5007, a dandy AVR) until I get my longer term strategy in place.  I can send my AVA Star hybrid pre amp back to Frank and have him add the phono circuits.  Or...I can buy a stand alone phono pre.  What suggestions would you guys have for a stand alone that would be a good compliment for my system?  Or...forget the stand alone and go the AVA route??  Suggestions??  Thanks.
Look into the Hagerman Bugle, has a rep for good performance/$ ratio, or get the AVA internal phono board.