VTAF and Groovetracer products - opinions?

watercourse

VTAF and Groovetracer products - opinions?
« on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:01 am »
I just installed a full set of the Groovetracer products to my P5, and I am really impressed with the lowered noise floor, lowered wow/flutter, and a better overall presentation and balance in low frequencies (acoustic bass shows the clearest improvement). I installed the Reference subplatter, the heavyweight counterweight, and the acrylic platter. Also using Dynavector DV20XL, Herbie's Way Excellent II mat with 4mm shims to maintain Rega-standard VTA, and the outboard motor.

I think the Groovetracer gear really gooses the P5's performance up a few notches and gives it a refinement that was not possible with the stock parts. I can go on with why I think this, but suffice it to say that the subplatter made a major difference that rendered the stock one unusable, for reasons having to do with pitch stability and lowered noise floor. The other products were relatively easy to switch back and forth, and so differences were ascertained by direct comparison. The acrylic platter really made clear how the stock glass platter affected esp. the bass presentation and high frequencies. The counterweight probably made the least difference in my system once the other two pieces were in place, but improved microdynamics in bass was the most apparent change.

Since I was skeptical that I would get this much from the Groovetracer products in the first place, I was wondering if anyone has tried out the 3-point VTAF product that Pete Riggle has out, and what your impressions are. I like to think I'm more of a set and forget kind of guy, but also open to potential improvements where I can get them. Also, having cool projects for a weekend always makes the work week go that much faster ;)

I have a related question about azimuth which I'll save for another thread.

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2010, 04:19 pm by watercourse »