Retro-fitting new feet on Pioneer PL-560

EaRich

• Great music & a jiggling fishing pole = priceless!
« on: 24 Jan 2004, 04:49 am »
Hello All.  I need some advice about updating my old Pioneer PL-560 turntable from some of you vintage lovers out there.  I have this table hooked up to my system and on occasion do play some of my albums but have to tolarate a loud rumble unless I turn the volume down real low.  I'm sure part of the problem is the wobbly entertainment center I'm housing the table in.  But the main reason is that the feet have, long ago, deteriorated and I have the base sitting on four small rubber "isolation" cones.  With all of the latter day technology in the form of isolation cones, I think that I should be able to find something that would 1) screw into the existing holes in the base of the turntable  2) be able to level the plater and  3) give great vibration isolation.  Does anyone have experience doing this on this or a similar turntable?  I'm also wanting to send the table somewhere to give it an overall bringing up to specs (or beyond).  Any suggestions?  How about maybe some DIY projects to make this old diamond sparkle? Any info on the proper way of cleaning the plastic dust cover?   Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.  
Here is a link to some pictures:
http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pl0560.html

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:00 am »
For the feet, I would talk to Gary at Pandafeet

http://www.pandathumbaudio.com/

I use his product under my Dac and phono pre with great results.

These will NOT screw in, but will help you non the less.  They are also very reasonably priced.

gary

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:09 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, marbles. EaRich - if you have any questions, feel free to email me (gary@pandathumbaudio.com).

-Gary

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:41 am »
Hi EaRich,

Like Marbles, I don't have experience with the Pioneer but I've tweaked a few similar to it back in the 70's and early 80's.

First your feet. The Panda feet (Sorbothane) as Marbles suggested might work well. I haven't tried them before. What I have done and am currently using under my Systemdek are Isolation Cones from Parts Express. No need to go for Black Diamonds or any of the boutique names. These get you 90% of the way there for $17. They come in sets of 4 and are availible in gold or peuter. They are adjustable so you can level your table (absolutely critical in turntable setup). They come with thin (abt 1/16th thick) rubber isolation that has tape on both sides for mounting. Don't use this. Use plain old double sided Scotch tape for mounting. On the threads of the isolation cones use a few wraps of teflon tape to take up the slop in the threads. Finally, use just three of the four they send you. This way you get better coupling to your rack (more weight per point).

Heres the link
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-720

Second, If I remember correctly, the Pioneer's platter isn't solid. It's hollow on the back side. If this is true, it rings like a SOB. This could be a big chunk of your problem. Pull the platter off, turn it upside down and apply a thick layer of rope caulk to it. Rope caulk is availible at WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, almost any decent hardware store. Apply it evenly around the bottom of the platter so that the platter stays evenly balanced. You can check the balance by balancing it on sumething with a rounded blunt end (like a small ball peen hammer, the ball side). If it falls over, take some caulk off the side it fell to (obviously). Be careful that you don't put so much caulk on the bottom side that it interferes with the belt. Don't use plumbers putty. It dries out in a realatively short time (<1 yr).

Last, clean your platter bearing. You want get all of the old oil off of the bearing and race. Electronic component degreaser (tuner cleaner from Rat Shack works fine) will strip the oil. Sop up the leftovers then apply a fresh coating of Mobil (or some other) Synthetic motor oil to the bearing and race.

Also, if the plinth is hollow plastic rather than solid MDF (as I suspect), pack it with rope caulk too.

If you do these few tweaks, your table will be transformed, promise.

Have fun tweaking,
Scott

PS I've got one for the arm too but it isn't very pretty.

EaRich

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:42 am »
Thanks Marbles for the quick response and link.  And Gary, I've taken a peek at the Panda Thumb site.  I'll give it a good look over when I get home from work in about half an hour.  Thanks again.  Anybody else?

EaRich

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2004, 05:57 am »
Thanks to you too Scott F.!  Don't recall right now what the platter is like but this is a direct drive TT.  I'll look into your tweeks after I get some stable footing under this baby.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2004, 03:06 pm »
I have several DDs, including a PL-560.  Mine came w/ the Audio Technica feet but i don't like them.  Sorbothane will work on lateral vibrations, but I think the panda feet are too narrow.  I use KAB Sorbothane hemispheres on my modded 1200 with great success, but not directly under the table, as I get better results w/ Goldmund cones.  I use the hemispheres under a non resonant Moca wood board that hosts the cones...