What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks?

Wayner

I was listening to some Klaatu last night and thought, what a hell of a band! I found these guys by accident, buying music 'cause it had a cool LP cover. Remember those days? So now I wonder how many bands just didn't get the marketing hype cause some big shot at some record company just didn't really think it was "good enough"? Do you know of any similar bands like this from around this era?

Wayner

ohenry

Here's one: Captain Beyond.
Captain Beyond consisted of singer Rod Evans (Deep Purple), guitarist Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt (Iron Butterfly), bassist Lee Dorman (Iron Butterfly), and drummer Bobby Caldwell (Johnny Winter).

It seemed they could never get out of the gate due to no record company support and no touring opportunities.  Their first self-titled debut in 1972 was progressive and tight; check it out sometimes if you haven't had the chance.

Wayner

I actually have that one!!!!!

Wayner  :eyebrows:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I was listening to some Klaatu last night and thought, what a hell of a band! I found these guys by accident, buying music 'cause it had a cool LP cover. Remember those days? So now I wonder how many bands just didn't get the marketing hype cause some big shot at some record company just didn't really think it was "good enough"? Do you know of any similar bands like this from around this era?

Wayner

http://www.beatlesagain.com/breflib/klaatu.html

lonewolfny42

What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks....

Ambrosia....

The Babys...

JoshK

Slight tangent...  here is a modern band that sounds like they stepped out of the '70s.  There sound is very '70s prog and not bad, pretty good actually.

Black Bonzo - Sound of the Apocalypse

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Apocalypse-Black-Bonzo/dp/B000Q7ZJ4Y/ref=pd_krex_fa_t_

A couple of other modern prog bands you might like if you like this (try the samples)
Phideaux
Beardfish

orthobiz

Crack The Sky
Get the first two albums
1. Crack The Sky 1975
2. Animal Notes 1976

Unbelievable prog, Wayner would love it (if he doesn't already have it).

I will make a pilgrimage this year to see them in the Baltimore area.

Going to a record show tomorrow:
Will look for Camel (thanks Wayner) and some of the other stuff just mentioned.

Paul

dB Cooper

Boomtown Rats
You might have never heard of them but may know one of their members: Bob Geldof

SlushPuppy

Todd Rundgren. Most people know the name. Some can remember (maybe) one or two of his songs. Only a few know he has 20+ studio albums, not including his 12 work with Utopia and 3 with Nazz. Big headed genius in my opinion, and my all-time favorite musician.

bummrush

I think Todd even produced one of the Bands first records,also that Capt Beyond,i still want to buy ,dancing madly backwards, killer tunes.

lonewolfny42

Big Red Machine

Crack The Sky
Get the first two albums
1. Crack The Sky 1975
2. Animal Notes 1976

Unbelievable prog, Wayner would love it (if he doesn't already have it).

I will make a pilgrimage this year to see them in the Baltimore area.

Going to a record show tomorrow:
Will look for Camel (thanks Wayner) and some of the other stuff just mentioned.

Paul

Yes!!  Very cool back in the day.

My all-time favorite band:  City Boy  I have every album and most of the CD's.  Very hard to find.

Big Red Machine

What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks....

Ambrosia....

The Babys...

The Babys - I have an album or two of theirs.

I was also into Pat Travers back then and saw him live at a local hotspot.  Wild!

orthobiz

I think Todd even produced one of the Bands first records,also that Capt Beyond,i still want to buy ,dancing madly backwards, killer tunes.

Todd produced The Band's third outing, Stage Fright.
How about The Hello People. Todd produced one of theirs, too.
Have You Seen The Light is a great album by The Hello People.

Paul

orthobiz

Yes!!  Very cool back in the day.

My all-time favorite band:  City Boy  I have every album and most of the CD's.  Very hard to find.

Hey, I have the first City Boy vinyl. I need to dust it off and listen. Off the top of my head, the 5000 Years
song stood out.

I have Ambrosia, too. I need some Klaatu, though...

Right now I'm having a Wayner moment and am listening to Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII.

Paul

Paul

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Todd produced The Band's third outing, Stage Fright.
How about The Hello People. Todd produced one of theirs, too.
Have You Seen The Light is a great album by The Hello People.

Paul

I was lucky enough to work sound for the Hello People at the Ohio University Cavern coffee house. Great bunch of guys and a hoot to see. The Mad Red Ant Lady Strikes Again!!

orthobiz

Cool factoid, Konut!
I never saw them and I'm pretty sure they're not out on CD as yet...

Paul

orthobiz

Oh yeah,
What about

Deaf School from Liverpool? 1975-1977, three albums, the first two were a 2-fer in the States.
It's like cabaret/pub-rock and the third album (for fans only, admittedly) is their punk effort.

And, of course,
Gruppo Sportivo, pick up Mistakes (or 19 Mistakes on CD). Great melodic stuff, kinda like
Martha and the Muffins.

Paul

lonewolfny42

SlushPuppy

Yes....City Boy......got those Lp's packed away...a good group.

How about....

Split Enz...

String Driven Thing....

Cat Mother & The All Night News Boys...

Elephants Memory...

Two great calls Lonewolfny42!

I love the Baby's and Split Enz. Split Enz was light-years ahead of their time.