USB Microscope?

analognut

USB Microscope?
« on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:46 am »
The recent discussion regarding examining styli has prompted this question:

Does anyone use a USB 'scope with their computer to examine their stylus? I was checking these things out on ebay and it looks like they come in a huge array of prices. Could one of these things on the supplied gooseneck be used to examine the stylus right on the tonearm? That would be right up my alley!

Or am I missing something here?   :dunno:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: USB Microscope?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:30 am »
Seems like a great application for a "cheap" USB microscope.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2009, 01:35 pm »
I'm checking woot.com every day. I assume one day they will have a USB microscope. Heck, they've had weather stations and other weird stuff before. I also assume they will have it on the day I DON'T check.

Such is life.

Paul

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:27 pm »
My daughter has the Bionic Eye by EyeClops.  I have to carry a TV down to my carts but I will check them out and see what I get.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2009, 02:50 pm »
I have one of the inexpensive USB microscopes I use for working on surface mount parts. I never thought about using it for inspecting my stylus. If I remember tonight I'll point it at the stylus and grab the image. We should be able to see all the dust that is normally not visible, I'm sure it will look hideous. :)

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:10 pm »
How's this for looking at a stylus? Cheapo at Rat Shack. No USB scope here.

Wayner  :D

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:15 pm »
Nice picture, Wayne.  Is that my Elyss?   

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2009, 08:56 pm »
Yep! Nice stylus, heh?

Wayner  :D

analognut

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2009, 09:54 pm »
woodsyi- Thanks for the comeback. Please let us know how your EyeClops works!
mgalusha-
Thanks for volunteering! Let us know how it turns out, would you? And yeah, if you have a pic to post that'd be super!
wayner-
I know you have experience with those loupes. I have never even examined a stylus, let alone know what power is needed. What power would you suggest for a good check-up? And if you have any tips you care to share those'd be appreciated as well!
Thanks A/C   :)

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2009, 11:47 am »
The magnifier from Rat Shack has 3 lens, a 5X, 10X and 15X (oops, that's 30X power, not 50X) and can be used in any combination of all three, or in singular power. My stylus assemblies in my Audio Technica AT440MLa are removable, so in just a few moments, I can have that out for examination.

It takes a bit of practice to find the stylus, believe me. It's kind of frustrating the first time you try, but you eventually will figure it out and zero in on the stylus. look for wear on the back side of it. It will look black and have wear like water erosion. A little is probably OK, but if your approaching that 500 hour time, and it looks questionable, think of how much money you have in your LP collection. A worn stylus is the enemy. Also examine the tip. I had one that I had on an arm that I accidently dropped. I didn't think I did any damage, but then it sounded funny. Upon examination, I had bust off the tip completely.

This is another reason that I am not fond of MC cartridges as I guess I doon't know of any that have replaceable stylus assemblies. Anyway, try to treat your stylus like it's extremely delicate, cause it is. The cue lever is your best friend. I never lower the arm using my hand. The cueing lever keeps things in control and the gentle decent assures a safe landing for the stylus at beginning of play.

Wayner

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2009, 11:40 pm »
I'll have to check out the Rat Shack magnifier. I have some cheap macro lenses for my digital camera and was wondering how close and clear the Canon G1 would shoot. Not too bad for a quick experiment, a better camera with high quality lenses would probably do better. Looks like the Goldring 1042 Fritz Gyger tip is still intact.

Wayne

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:42 am »
Great pictures, Wayne. That is what it's all about. Stylus examination. Great camera close-ups!

Wayner

Dan Kolton

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:08 am »
These photos are pretty, and tell you the tip is still where it belongs, but you can't assess wear at this magnification unless it is way past the point of killing your vinyl.  Take a look at http://www.micrographia.com/projec/projapps/viny/viny0000.htm.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:25 am »
These photos are pretty, and tell you the tip is still where it belongs, but you can't assess wear at this magnification unless it is way past the point of killing your vinyl.  Take a look at http://www.micrographia.com/projec/projapps/viny/viny0000.htm.

You are absolutely right, just playing around until Mike and woodsyi post some pics.  :)

Mariusz

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:26 am »

Link does not work. :scratch:

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:31 am »
Remove the period after htm. --> htm

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2009, 08:10 pm »
I looked at my carts with the Eyclops Bionic Eye (x200).  I could not get any stability with my hand to get a steady picture.  It was really like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  I got some glimpses of the needle and grains on the metal at the bottom of the carts to think this could be useful.  The Bionic Eye only has an analog video-in to a TV and the picture can't be captured.  So I ordered a USB stand mounted scope that will magnify up to 400x with camera function.  I will post pictures next week.  My carts look fine with a 15x loup but I want to see the crystals on the tip.  :wink:

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2009, 12:07 am »
Finally had a chance to try and capture some images today. Thankfully the arm wand is removable (Morch UP-4) so I could put it and the camera on my bench.

These are from a $79 usb camera. It says 200x on the box but that is with digital zoom, not sure what the native resolution is. I'd guess about 50x but I'm not certain.

Anyway, here are a few including a couple with some fuzz on the tip. I touched the tip to my extreme phono "solid state stylus cleaner" and it actually seems to have gotten the diamond pretty clean. Now, about all the dust on the rest of it...

Cartridge is a Scheu-Benz. Basically a modified Benz Glider.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2009, 12:25 am »
That is pretty amazing. I have never seen a diamond mounted that way, the things I miss with normal vision.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2009, 03:10 pm »
I think Mikes photos show that it is extremely difficult to get proper lighting to see stylus wear facets, and that 50x magnification with digital zoom ain't gonna get it.  I'm afraid a good lab type 200x microscope with proper lighting is necessary.  Look again at the results on the micrographia site.