Phono interconnect cable advice sought

Scottdazzle

Phono interconnect cable advice sought
« on: 25 May 2009, 12:27 am »
I have a VPI Classic on order.  I had heard conflicting stories about the VPI ic's so did not order them with the table. The VPI table uses cables with RCAs on both ends.  In theory, it seems like any low capacitance shielded cable ought to work fine. Blue Jeans and Morrow, etc offer low cost cables that might fit the bill.  Do any of you have advice for me?  Thanks!

richidoo

Re: Phono interconnect cable advice sought
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2009, 03:31 am »
Don't know how they'll work with low voltage signal, but I find the Blue Jeans ICs I have to be warm, well balanced, incredible build quality, but a little veiled compared to JPS and Grover ICs I own when used at line level. The superior shielding of Belden 1505 might be useful for MC voltages. I thkn Blue Jeans is the best value at that price.

Congrats on the new table Scott.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2009, 03:30 pm »
Richidoo,

I guess I owe it to myself to try the Blue Jeans cables first.  They're so cheap (as in inexpensive, not shoddy) that even if they're not great for phono I could still use them for line level ic's. 

Thanks much.

Scott

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2009, 03:41 pm »
The Bluejeans cable, LC-1, has 12.2uf capacitance per foot. That might be one of the lowest numbers I've ever heard of. It's 25awg center conduct (solid) is an ideal signal trasfer size for the very low signal levels of a cartridge. The extreme shielding also adds benefit to using the cable where there are always possibilities of importing hum and other nasties into the IC.

Wayner

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2009, 08:07 pm »
Thanks Wayne. I always read your posts and trust your judgment (usually!  :lol:)