need instructions for use, milty zerostat3

Berndt

need instructions for use, milty zerostat3
« on: 24 May 2009, 05:08 pm »
Hi guys, just was gifted a used milty zerostat 3.
I need instructions for useage.
I emailed the importer who replied the instructions were on the back of the box.
I didn't recieve the box.
I've seen the reviews of said product but am still slightly unclear as to its proper use.
Thanks in advance, Bill

Wayner

Re: need instructions for use, milty zerostat3
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2009, 06:05 pm »
Bill,

First off, don't zap the records on the turntable, do it somewhere else.

Here is the instructions on the back of the box:

Hold Zerostat about 12" from record. Squeeze the trigger slowly (a powerful stream of positive ions projects over a spread of about 16"). Release the trigger slowly and negative ions are produced.

So basically squeeze slowly, then release slowly over the record.

Oh, If there is a little cap on the front nozzle, remove it when you do the zapping. To test if it works, put the nozzel on your arm and squeeze the trigger, you should feel a zap. You can also do it to a copper waterpipe in a darkened room, you should see a spark.

Wayner

hifitommy

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2009, 06:42 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68282.0

i did this post as a reply but the site timed me out and when i resent it, it became a new post.  well, here it is again, just click.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2009, 06:48 pm »
hifitommy's method is not what is stated as directions for use and will build up a static charge on the LP surface. The object is to neutralize static charges on the record. You have no idea if they are positve or negatively charged.

That is why the instructions say to point at the record, squeeze slowly, then release slowly (still pointing at the records). This puts positve and then negatively charged ions on the surface and neutralizing one or the other (since the charge type is unknown).

Wayner

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2009, 07:26 pm »
so, you hold the record in one hand, the device in the other 12" away from the lp.
Squeeze slowly and release at the same rate afew times?
Thanks again, Bill

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2009, 08:22 pm »
Just squeeze and then release, once. Repeated use (IMHO) can perhaps start turning on you. I also think you can tell an LP is charged up when you take it out of it's sleeve, by the way it behaves. If it's all charged up, it will have all kinds of "klingy" issues. It also helps to do a damp brush on the record surface with something like a discwasher brush, lightly damped with some kind of alcohol/water solution. I use a 3 to 1 formula with the 3 parts being filtered water and the the 1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol. I put this in a small spray mist bottle and spray my brush, before I brush the record side. This I do before I play each and every side. Cleans the record, knocks down static. My records are clean, slippery and static free. Only once in a while will I give them a Zap with the Zerostat.

Wayner :)