Anyone heard the new VPI Classic?

PMAT

Re: Anyone heard the new VPI Classic?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2009, 06:59 am »
Please don't "oil" the walnut! If you don't know the type of finish, just wipe it clean for dust. Slightly damp clean, soft cotton t-shirt. Preferably not the one you are wearing at the time (looks funny from behind).  :lol:

Browntrout

« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2009, 08:00 am »
I "oiled" (?) my speakers and they look great. Why should't he oil the finish assuming it to be open grained?

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2009, 11:53 am »
If the walnut hasn't been finished with some urethane, he should occasionally oil the walnut with tongue oil to keep the wood from drying out and cracking.

Wayner  :D

Photon46

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2009, 11:05 pm »
Not to pick nits, but I'd not advise using tung oil unless you know for certain that the wood was originally finished with tung oil. Tung oil finishes need to penetrate the wood to work correctly and if some other type of finish has sealed the wood it's not going to work right. Plus, I've always found tung oil to polymerize & harden pretty quickly in it's container, so you always are having to buy a new jar or can every time you want to renew the finish. Browntrout asks why he shouldn't oil his speakers if they're "open grained." Even if you have what appears to be an open grain, there can be a sealing finish on veneers. The matter of open grain depends on whether a grain filler was used, not whether there's a sealing finish. Lots of times a manufacturer will shoot a matte or semi-gloss lacquer over open grain wood. You won't really hurt anything by oiling a finish like that, but you're not moisturizing the wood either.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2009, 08:48 pm »
Bump. Has anyone on AC heard it yet?  Harry Pearson loves it.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 9 May 2009, 09:57 pm »
tong oil is for virgin wood, not coated with any varnish or other coatings. Back in the 60's and 70's, most speakers, audio cabinets and turntable bases came with "oiled Walnut" finish.

Wayner

AudioSoul

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2009, 03:49 pm »

I second Wayners comments. If wood is finished you dont need any oils, just spray furniture polish on a soft clean towel to remove the dust. Most real wood products today are finished with laqcuer because it dries quickly (good in production situations) and is harder than varnish. :nono:

hondo

« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2009, 03:59 pm »
I have a VPI Classic , periphery ring clamp, center weight, and Benz Micro Ace SL S cartridge.  It is a wonderful turntable.  Considering the price, the value is extraordinary.  I like the Benz Ace so much that I ordered another one for one of my other tables.

BobM

« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2009, 04:37 pm »
So, saying "it is very nice" just doesn't cut it here  :wink:. We want in depth comparisons against other tables, so please bring it on ...

« Last Edit: 20 May 2009, 06:09 pm by BobM »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2009, 04:48 pm »

Mine's sitting 6' from me now...it came in on Monday.

But, I've got little time to set it up this week to hear it  :(

My (non-VPI made) periphery ring fit Sonny/Tuan's VPI model...so I'm hoping it'll fit the Classic, too  :thumb:

I'll mount a Grado to it...I love em'...and they are one of two brands (the other being Dynavector) that VPI sells.  So, I suspect, the table was in some way 'voiced' with a Grado along the way.

John

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2009, 07:06 pm »
You have time to take some pictures, don't ya?

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2009, 07:38 pm »

My (non-VPI made) periphery ring fit Sonny/Tuan's VPI model...so I'm hoping it'll fit the Classic, too  :thumb:

John

Your ring will not fit your new table. Send it to me and I'll send you money! :lol:

Paul

Scottdazzle

« Reply #32 on: 20 May 2009, 09:34 pm »
I have a VPI Classic on order, too. No word on when it might arrive. I put my wintage (thanks Doug) Thorens TD 125 and SME 3009 II on ebay. The arm went fast and the table is still there.  If anyone is interested in a TD-125 with steady speed, excellent suspension, and nice looks, take a look. If a current (as of yesterday) AC member buys it, I will quietly give a $50 discount after the auction.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2009, 09:34 pm »
You have time to take some pictures, don't ya?

Wayner

Allrighty...got me my fancy Blackberry with 3mp camera built in right here.

Ain't that VPI box a beauty? :lol: :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2009, 09:46 pm »
btw guys - I'm nearly awash in VPI Classics (in walnut) :o

I actually (will) have two - long'ish story how that came to be, but I bought them for $2250.00 + $30 shipping ($2280.00 total)

If anybody wants one, it's just $2280.00 + whatever it takes to ship it to you on FEDEX Ground. My other option is to just return it for full credit...but I'd rather pass on the fun to someone that does not want to wait. They are not in large scale supply yet...I kinda' doubt there are 100 in the US as of this writing.

I'll probably ship this actual sealed one (pictured above) as I'll wait the other to come in (doubtful that I'll be able to set mine up anytime soon...I am friggin' swamped right now)

I don't know who or why the hell Magna Carts would be selling so strongly in this economic pickle we're all in - but, I'm just thankful they are and do  :thumb:

Ciao, John

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2009, 12:04 am »
John,

I can't believe that you haven't even opened the box yet. :scratch: If I had an extra 2K I'd buy your spare. :drool: Have you decided what album to play for the virgin table?

Congratulations, :thumb:

Roy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2009, 12:22 am »
John,

I can't believe that you haven't even opened the box yet. :scratch: If I had an extra 2K I'd buy your spare. :drool: Have you decided what album to play for the virgin table?

Congratulations, :thumb:

Roy

Well, technically RajaRoy - I haven't paid for it yet as I bought it on a credit card  :icon_lol:

Although my oft-meandering posts would seem to indicate otherwise...I'm rather focused on one or few things at a time in my life (I believe in a healthy balance...tho that means different things to everybody).  Right now it's work, basketball (personally playing and watching the playoffs), eating, sleeping and showering (with a little nookie when my allow for it :wink:)

I can only do a few things well at a time...if I take on too much, I'd likely flub it.

Work is really a lovely grind right now....to keep up I've been putting in 10 hour days for several weeks now. No complaints - its all for good cause  :dance:

I'm not sure what I'll play on the Classic to begin.  I found it took 20+ hours for the new main bearing I bought for the HW-19 MK. III (that BoneDocPaul/orthobiz now owns) to break in, so I'm not so concerned what I play initially so much as whatever I am playing hour 20+ sounds on the new table :)

John

Sonny

« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2009, 03:24 am »

Mine's sitting 6' from me now...it came in on Monday.

But, I've got little time to set it up this week to hear it  :(

I'll mount a Grado to it...I love em'...and they are one of two brands (the other being Dynavector) that VPI sells.  So, I suspect, the table was in some way 'voiced' with a Grado along the way.

John

John,
if you need help....setting it up or want company setting it up, let me know...I am just around the corner and still unemployed, so there's lots of time on my hands!  Let me know John!!!!

Also, hope the ring fits, it sure sounded good on my TNT table!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2009, 03:54 am »

I don't know who or why the hell Magna Carts would be selling so strongly in this economic pickle we're all in - but, I'm just thankful they are and do  :thumb:

Ciao, John

Its a good product....that's why.. :wink:

Off topic....is the new flat cart finally out John ? :scratch:

hondo

« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2009, 12:43 pm »
An old VPI ring fit my Classic.