Fisher turntable?

hayseed

Fisher turntable?
« on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:43 pm »
Most of the references to Fisher I find on AC with the search function reference their receivers.  I've recently acquired a Fisher MT-6335C turntable and can't seem to find out much about it.  Perhaps some of you know whether Fisher turntables of that vintage are commendable to any degree or in any way.

For readers who have never heard of anything like this model, I'll offer some description.  It's a direct-drive, manual, with auto return. Separate speed dials for 33 and 45, and quartz lock to hold the setting (which seems to be working well according to the built-in strobe light).  At the moment the front-mounted tone-arm lift (cue) isn't working.  Platter has some weight to it, but probably a quite lightweight compared to my Dual 1229. Base is plastic.

Instead of a standard headshell and half-inch cartridge, the previous owner outfitted it with a Numark 1 with CS1 stylus, more of a DJ (heavy-tracking weight) set-up than hi-fi.  But stylus has had minimal use, and on some records seems to track nicely well below mfrs suggested 3 grams or so.

I'm trying to decide decide whether to keep it for a back-up turntable in my budget, vintage, barely-aspiring-to-mid-fi system. 
--Can anyone vouch for what this TTs best qualities might be?
--What tweaks might help me get the best out of it (I have read the tweaks sticky, so you can refer to things there)?
--Can it be converted to play 78 rpm, too?
--I'm thinking of replacing the cartridge, but does anyone want to speak up for strengths of this one?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

TheChairGuy

Re: Fisher turntable?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:30 pm »
It's probably more than a bit like this one (6330 from Fisher): http://www.vinylengine.com/library/fisher/mt-6330.shtml

I think Vinyl Engine requires you to register to download the free manuals there.

You could've paid a lot more for a lot less table....Fisher is and has been gargantuan, $$ multi-billion Sanyo's elite brand in their audio stable.  Sanyo never reached cult status as Sony, Panasonic/Technics, JVC and others in Japan have, but they are no slouches :)

Throw 5 lbs of plasticlay (non-hardening modeling clay) inside of your machine and find out what it's capable of.

Enjoy, John

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:38 pm »
Yup, turntables like mass. You can never have too much poundage. It will lower the compliance below the audible level so vibrations affect that sensitive cartridge less and less.

Bob

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2009, 06:28 pm »
Yup, turntables like mass. You can never have too much poundage.
Bob

Here's a Fisher with mass:
http://www.myvintagetv.com/updates2/lincoln/lincoln_changer.htm

Paul