I have ordered a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive turntable.....

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Wayner's system is frequency limited?  Not hardly!  His main system uses wonderful full range huge electrostatic speakers driven by state of the art electronics, not even AVA equipment in the big room system.  He doesn't talk about it much because his true love is discovering rationally priced great equipment for the rest of us.  I have been there, heard that, love it.

His small room setup with several sets of speakers and more TT setups then I can count has great near field sound too.

The crappy anti-skate on the Pioneer would have been disappointing enough for me to reject it too.

Don't open mouth about Wayner's systems without having a clue as to what he really has.

Frigging stupidity and antagonism around here is starting to get to me.

Frank Van Alstine

sunnydaze

Frigging stupidity and antagonism around here is starting to get to me.

Frank Van Alstine

What Frank said!!     :thumb:

a.wayne

Frank ,

My comment was based on his system listed with the 1200 , so careful how you throw that irony around, your Buddy  was the aggressor here and frankly it doesnt matter the SL1200 is not a Hi-Fi table , no amount of Dogma is going to change my opinion on that......

Maybe less dogma and more discussion would work ,instead of coming in and throwing fodder for the little people ,  he's  not the only one with a fullrange SOTA system ...

Regards 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

:lol:

a.wayne

a.wayne can you not take info for face value and leave it at that? Wayner, like everyone else here, is entitled to like what they like for whatever reason they wish. You seem bent on proving nothing but your own opinion on the subject matter and Wayner. Just stop. This is ridiculous. :duh:

Go start a thread about the belt drive TT's around $1000 that you like, versus thread dumping here. Hell, start a thread about these $1000 TT's and express why you like them better than the Technics 1200 (and derivatives). This is a thread about the PLX1000 (which is marketed as a 1200 replacement). Wayner was merely comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Anyone interested in the PLX1000, probably likes the Technics 1200 or is interested in it for their own reasons. Why must you insist on pointing people towards oranges, when they're really just interested in apples?

Please read back slowly best to read full content before responding i dont care what he likes , you or anyone else , i never told him to not like or like , he made statements that need to be address , pay attn thats where the discussion was going...

I dont care what he likes , he attacked me personally , i respônded , please get over it .....

RDavidson

I read the whole thread. You have yet to say anything directly related to the PLX1000, but have plenty to say about belt driven tables and a little about your experience with the 1200. Why do you feel Wayner has to answer to you? Are you the TT review authority? He provided info that was pertinent to him, and likely some others. You can take it or leave it.

Personally attacked you? And this was entirely unprovoked? Don't think so. In fact, you were the first to say anything directly offensive, when you called Wayner ignorant. So yeah, I've read the thread.

I have absolutely nothing to get over. I'm good. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm by RDavidson »

a.wayne

Wait , what,  So  i said plenty  about  belt drive and nothing about the 1200, i see what "they" are saying  .......  :lol:

:rotflmao:

RDavidson

Wait , what,  So  i said plenty  about  belt drive and nothing about the 1200, i see what "they" are saying  .......  :lol:

:rotflmao:

Wait. What? Funny you state that I need to read, when you are at fault for this exact accusation you made against me. :lol: :lol: :lol: I said that you said "little" about the 1200, let alone ANYTHING helpful to this thread about the ACTUAL TOPIC, which is the PLX1000.  :duh: :duh: :duh:

You made it quite clear from the onset that you're here to do nothing but thread dump (on the Technics 1200 and derivatives such as the TT that is the topic of this thread) and claim superiority of belt driven examples. Because Wayner likes the 1200, you question HIS opinion, then bash it, then bash him, then bash his system. Because YOU are above using such a non-hifi piece of gear, you decide to stink up this place versus taking your opinions to a thread on belt drive "hi-fi" tables where you'd be more welcome.

You're done. Thanks for showing everyone your true colors.

a.wayne

I read the whole thread. You have yet to say anything directly related to the PLX1000, but have plenty to say about belt driven tables and a little about your experience with the 1200. Why do you feel Wayner has to answer to you? Are you the TT review authority? He provided info that was pertinent to him, and likely some others. You can take it or leave it.

Personally attacked you? And this was entirely unprovoked? Don't think so.

I have absolutely nothing to get over. I'm good. :thumb:

Most if not all  of the conversation was about the 1200, Wayner asked for a suggestion i gave it, he said he was not interested in a beltdrive and then it was all 1200 discussion from then on, I even suggested a KD500 DD over the 1200 , he also posted a comment about feedback, with a video , 1200's have horrible bass because of this , it kills the mid too , they are prone to feedback,  most of the discussion was along these lines, so yes your comprehension is lacking, there was no belt drive discussion, we moved on after the link...

Wait. What? Funny you state that I need to read, when you are at fault for this exact accusation you made against me I said that you said "little" about the 1200, let alone ANYTHING helpful to this thread about the ACTUAL TOPIC, which is the PLX1000.

I increased font size to help out ,  you may want to see i was not discussing his review,  But Keep going .....

You're done. Thanks for showing everyone your true colors.

Yeah you nailed it .......... :rotflmao:

RDavidson

This is a PLX1000 thread, which makes it indirectly a Technics 1200 thread, which is of interest to those who like inexpensive DD tables for whatever reason they wish. :duh:
Go suggest oranges (ie belt drive TT's) to people who are looking for oranges! :duh: :duh: :duh:

There's a reason the KD500 doesn't have the following of the Technics 1200. How is the KD500 better than the PLX1000, let alone the 1200? Simply because you made one suggestion of a DD TT, doesn't somehow validate your actual intent here, TO THREAD DUMP.

a.wayne

You still at it , Hillarious .......... :lol:

RDavidson

Yup hilarious. :duh:
Can you not take a dump elsewhere, and just allow this non-elitist thread to continue?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Hopefully Woodsyi will come along and shut this thread down. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
To whom it may concern,
The KD500 happens to be a DD table that came w/o an arm.  It was a popular table, not obscure, but wasn't in continuous production "forever" like the 1200.
The 500 is a servo controlled DD.  The KD600 is quartz locked - a more appropriate comparison perhaps.  There were versions of these tables that came with arm.  The 550 and 650 each had S arms with removable headshell.  It doesn't matter how the Pioneer is being marketed, since when is it inappropriate to discuss other tables with a review? 

Problem is, this wasn't a review, but is taken as such.  This is pointing out certain features that didn't meet OP's minimum requirements.  OP could have overcome these problems with a little effort, but I suspect the hum was a deal breaker.  My disappointment is in knowing only what I suspected and virtually nothing else.  Stereophile review said it beat everything < $2K even with these problems which weren't mentioned.  Not a lot of illumination was offered here, and I've read a couple of testimonials that were very positive. 

So, where do we stand with new tables under $1K ?  I don't know, pick your compromise.  BTW, a KD550 or 650 spanks a 1200 all day long - no contest.  Not sure what that has to do with anything.  Maybe the Pioneer PLX-1000 MKII will be even better and get the fan boys to shut up.  After all isn't it the 1200 MKII and later we're talking about and aren't users modding to the extreme, even main bearing and arm replacement? 
neo

yeldarb

Thank you!
« Reply #94 on: 8 Mar 2015, 03:43 am »
I think your review was certainly adequate, especially since I didn't have to buy the damn thing.  Now that you have disclosed your antiskate calibration with a blank disc, how about some details on how to do it?  I am currently adjusting by eye.  If the cantilever doesn't appear to be anything but vertical in the inner grooves, I am pretty happy.  And this method seldom agrees with the calibrations.  But it sounds good, with no distortions.

I have direct drive TTs and, when I sold HiFi, back in the late 70s, I frequently told customers that it didn't matter if the platter was propelled by ground squirrels, as long as they could run consistently.  Nothing works perfectly, for a long term.  Belts and idlers deteriorate, and DD certainly doesn't have that problem.  If the platter has decent mass, cogging should be barely noticeable.  I have owned belt drives, too.  And they can transmit motor irregularities as wll.

Thanks again for your review of NEW equipment, Wayner. 

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
shut down threads ! c'mon , freedom of speech . just ignore posts you do not agree with . no rebuttals tend to stop the trolls in there place , no ?

wushuliu

I say close it. I don't see the discourse getting any better from here. Oh, well, can't say I didn't see it coming. Just wish it didn't have to end this way every time.

steve f

Like Frank and probably many others, I'm getting tired of the BS comments by a few people. A technics 1200 not a good table? Or a members honest review of the Pioneer doesn't matter. I am all in favor of freedom of speech. Your freedom ends when it harms others.

Please shut this thread down.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Like Frank and probably many others, I'm getting tired of the BS comments by a few people. A technics 1200 not a good table? Or a members honest review of the Pioneer doesn't matter. I am all in favor of freedom of speech. Your freedom ends when it harms others.

Please shut this thread down.

Seriously, someone was harmed?  Maybe someone got their feelings hurt, but even that's unlikely.  This is an audio forum or are you unfamiliar?  You say you're in favor of freedom of speech, but..... 
You'd really like to suppress all dissenting opinion?  Maybe it's okay if it's worded just so? 

"A technics 1200 not a good table?"
Good is a relative term.  The 1200 is better than some and worse than others.  Good compared to what?

"Or a members honest review of the Pioneer doesn't matter."
There was no review.  That's part of the problem.  Some deficiencies were pointed out and that's as far as it went.   Was this an honest attempt to acquire yet another table, or a money back opportunity to trash the Pioneer?   While I believe it was an honest attempt and those deficiencies were a deal breaker, there was no other evaluation, not even speculation of relative goodness.   
neo

Rocket

Hi Wayner,

Thank you for posting your opinion on the issues that you felt meant that the Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable was not suitable for your system.  I agree you shouldn't have to modify a unit to have it work the way you want it to, especially, if you may have to return the unit for reimbursement. 

There is a lot of hyperbole on the internet and it was great to have your opinion regarding this turntable.  I remember years ago being swept away with product hyperbole on the PS Audio HCA-2 digital amplifier.  I think I read one negative review and bought the amplifier based on all the positive comments.  Unfortunately the one negative review was correct regarding the amplifiers performance.  The amplifier has been sitting in storage for 8 years now!

Btw Wayner, is the person who modifies the grado cartridges for Audio Van Alstine.  I think I'll have to try one of these cartridges one day. 

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2015, 09:38 am by Rocket »