An entire generation duped.

jimdgoulding

Re: An entire generation duped.
« Reply #40 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:56 am »
Reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend of mine.  He was lamenting the paucity of smart movies and TV shows.  I pointed out that smart people are the minority, so any time you make something that appeals to intelligent people, you have severely limited your potential market, right out of the gate.  Most TV, most Movies, and most music are dumb because people, as a rule, are dumb.
That's why there is cable.  Larry David slays me.

Rischa

« Reply #41 on: 20 Mar 2012, 02:14 am »
Rischa (the OP), LPs and equipment to play them on have always been around.   You were not deprived or duped out of anything, evidently you just weren't looking for it.

Obviously I'm just being a bit melodramatic for effect when I use the term "duped." I don't seriously consider myself a victim in all of this.

But you're absolutely right, I wasn't looking for vinyl. This is my point. CD's were the status quo for my generation and this is what I think is sad. It never even crossed my mind to buy a record when I was in my teens, and I'd say that was true for 95% of us back then. But obviously there were people who knew better--audiophiles and older (wiser) folks--that never stopped listening to or appreciating vinyl.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #42 on: 20 Mar 2012, 02:47 am »
Hey, don't fret. It's not too late to enjoy records as you have discovered.

Digital is Hi-Fi by the numbers, literally. Vinyl not so much.

Personally, I really like music a lot. Both formats are viable but the edge goes to...records.

Berndt

« Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2012, 03:59 am »
You've got to remember that music in the horrible 1980's sounded awful too.
Everything was made with synths and exploding drums that sounded like gunshot's. Compere Darkness on the edge of town with the tunnel of love. All music sounded like Toto and Duran duran.
Piano's were synths that sounded like piano's, and strings were synths that sounded like strings. This music sounded good on cd's.
I had to ride 10 Km on my bike to by a record, and can't remember how many times I went back to return a scratched or bended copy.
I was happy with the cd for a while.
Until 1989 when Masters of reality and Lenny Kravitz came with their debut cd's, I realised that I wanted LP's and a more organic sound.
I threw away my awful Bon Jovi and Whitesnake cd's and started listening to The GUN CLUB and NICK CAVE and PIXIES and the CRAMPS and TOM WAITS.
And I got my love for music back.
Perfect sound forever!! :thumb:

Exploding drums that sound like gunshots?
Do you have a recording in mind? I think that sounds like a good thing, btw. Some of the drums on Dios "Holy Diver" sound machine gun like.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:34 am »
...when a quality winyl recording played back on a $1500 analog rig will sound better than the same quality cd recording on the most expensive redbook rig on the planet.

doug s.

Wow, that has not been my experience at all if the same mastering is used for both.  But I know this is the vinyl circle...

ya, i guess you're right - if this was the digital circle, i certainly woulda said a redbook cd played on a $1500 digital rig would sound better than any winyl played on the most expensive winyl rig on the planet!   :lol:

doug s.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #45 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:40 am »
I think vinyl and hirez are both inherently better sounding formats than redbook.  Listening to Shostakovich via SACD rip right now...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #46 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:56 am »
I was into stereo music and equipment since 1965.
When digital came out i bought one of the very first generation $1,000 Cd players.
I soon tossed my LPs. CDs did seem better AT the time.
All the record companies were surprised by how fast Cd took off.
LP was so yesterday.

Fast forward to around 1995 or so, when  iwas given the opportunity to buy a large classical LP collection. I did not even have a tt.
So I took them, bought a used tt.
LPs were dirt cheap then so i bought 13,000. or so.. since my average cost was under 20 cents each.
I had to cull to move, so  dropped down to 6,000 LPs and have kept  the LP collection at 6,000... Just improving it with new aquisitions and discarding lesser stuff.
At this point I can say (with my over $30,000 system) that Lps and CDs just have a different basic sound, and neither sounds 'better'.

I do enjoy the total convenience of Cd. I can throw five into the changer and listen for hours.
Then LP I canpay more attention to the changing of the sides, the Lp care etc. Interesting either way.
I read in magazines like The Absolute Sound, the war against digital, then a gradual acceptance.
Who cares. No one is forcing anyone to play one or the other, whichever is one's fav product.

And it is true the music business seems to shoot itself in the foot all the time with crappy production values...

Æ

« Reply #47 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:12 am »
People are 100% correct when they say vinyl is richer, fuller, and more dynamic than digital.

Richer and fuller, yes. More dynamic, how do you figure? Dynamic range is measurable.
CDs are capable of 90dB dynamic range, maybe more. Vinyl comes nowhere near that.

DS-21

« Reply #48 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:25 am »
I think vinyl and hirez are both inherently better sounding formats than redbook.

If that were true, then how come 60 audiophiles from the Boston Audio Society couldn't reliably detect any differences between straight-up hi-rez and hi-rez downsampled to redbook in what in theory is a very sonically obtrusive way (by converting the hi-rez to analog, and then doing an A/D conversion to redbook) in the course of listening tests that spanned a year?

Brad Meyer and David Moran, "Audibility of a CD-Standard A/DA/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback," 55 J. Audio Eng. Soc. 9 (2007), at 775.

The benefit to the newer formats is not quality in 2-channel, but discrete multichannel. Pity that audiophiles by and large are too reactionary to step up to modern multichannel reproduction, and prefer to continue wallowing in 2-channel mediocrity.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #49 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:18 am »
Another long thread of nostalgic vinyl fans posting their personal opinions as facts.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #50 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:26 am »
If that were true, then how come 60 audiophiles from the Boston Audio Society couldn't reliably detect any differences between straight-up hi-rez and hi-rez downsampled to redbook in what in theory is a very sonically obtrusive way (by converting the hi-rez to analog, and then doing an A/D conversion to redbook) in the course of listening tests that spanned a year?

Brad Meyer and David Moran, "Audibility of a CD-Standard A/DA/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback," 55 J. Audio Eng. Soc. 9 (2007), at 775.

The benefit to the newer formats is not quality in 2-channel, but discrete multichannel. Pity that audiophiles by and large are too reactionary to step up to modern multichannel reproduction, and prefer to continue wallowing in 2-channel mediocrity.

Well hey, audiophiles can't reliably distinguish tube amps from solid state amps in blind listening either.  Clearly, audiophiles are not to be trusted!

And, as an audiophile myself, I can state with certainty that I myself do not trust my own ears.  I know they deceive me at every chance they get.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #51 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:53 am »
Some post LP is more dinamic than digital. It is nerve to say it, as 33rpm LP had small dynamic range, only 65dB max.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #52 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:15 am »
Some post LP is more dinamic than digital. It is nerve to say it, as 33rpm LP had small dynamic range, only 65dB max.

yust cuz digital has the potential of more dynamic range does not mean it is, in practice.  and, dynamic or not, to my ears, digital music is sterile...

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #53 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:24 am »
It seems to me, just via reading, if you were faced to make a decision based on reading alone, it is a complete stalemate on all sides.

Redbook sounds as good as anything out there as long as it is well recorded. Anything out there. Then, you have Redbook sounds much better if you rip it to a computer and play it from that. We don't know why exactly, but for whatever reason, audio sounds better ripped from RAM and sent through a dac than read by cd directly as a transport(what?). Then we have hidef audio through a computer, and it doesn't matter what kind of computer, standalone Squeezebox, Mac (has magical audio powers), and PC, into a standalone dac eviscerates vinyl and redbook. Then we have vinyl is superior to all. It has life and snap and pop. then we have well recorded redbook and vinyl as indistingishable via blind test. Then we have redbook is capable of all the dynamic range and resolution we'll ever need and hi-rez is a scam, but no, hi-rez is what you really want.. and on and on. Dacs are important. No, dacs are irrelevant, preamps matter most, etc, etc.

Here's the audio book I would buy: someone makes direct analysis and measurements of the most popular types of audio gear, from low to high end, without shot-calling brands, and gives a no holds barred, unbiased analysis of the range of possibility with each gear at each price point, their direct importance in a sytem, and once and for all settles the issue of which media type is superior.

Because at this point, I see no point in unplugging my cd player.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:39 am »
A rant:

I just got into vinyl a couple months ago at the age of 33. The more I listen to records, the more peeved I become that my generation was deprived of them. People are 100% correct when they say vinyl is richer, fuller, and more dynamic than digital; but more to the point, vinyl has texture and presence, two things I've never heard from digital.

Nobody had vinyl when I was a teenager in the 90's. Not only that, but we all actually believed CD's were better. I would have been all over vinyl back then had I known better.

I'm curious what made CD the dominant format. Was it that recording companies had a bunch of money invested in the technology, and therefore promoted digital more? Was it just the convenience of CD's that made them more popular?

It definitely wasn't sound quality. As I write this, Steely Dan Aja is spinning on my tt, a record which just yesterday I pulled from a dusty cardboard box and paid $.99 for. Needless to say, it's beating the CD version to a bloody pulp. This is one of my all-time favorite classic-rock albums that I've heard many times before (or thought I had until now), so if anyone was going to hear a difference between the two formats from this recording, it'd be me.

Well, that's it. Just a quick rant about how my generation was deprived of vinyl. The world should be so lucky to have my problems, no?

My system:
Rega RP-3 with Elys2 cartridge
Emotiva USP-1 preamp
Odyssey Khartago Extreme amp
Bluejeans speaker cables
Tekton Lores
Happy ears
I'm curious what made CD the dominant format. Was it that recording companies had a bunch of money invested in the technology, and therefore promoted digital more? Was it just the convenience of CD's that made them more popular?
I live all those days, so what happened was that Philips see LP sales were decreasing every year since the 1960 years, the general public was no longer buying LPs, because it became aware to everyone that it was a waste of money, due the LP short useful life.
Nor used stores could sell any used vinyl, because people wanted to buy used vinyl far less than new, it mean hi noise, or worse a needle in loop. :duh:

It definitely wasn't sound quality.
I see it was sound quality too, as the 1970/80 turntables were not this good as today, and it were more expensiviest than today, so it were easy to assemble a system with a cd player.
Unfortunately record companies used to press CDs with mastering tapes equalized for Vinyl, and it sound very bad.
rbCDs sound good if the recording and mastering job is good, and with SACDs so the def capability is huge, I never listen a vinyl better than this CD(recorded in DSD):
http://www.amazon.com/Blonde-Various-Artists/dp/B00005JCHS/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332228279&sr=1-3
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2012, 09:06 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 20 Mar 2012, 07:59 am »
yust cuz digital has the potential of more dynamic range does not mean it is, in practice.  and, dynamic or not, to my ears, digital music is sterile...

doug s.
OK, it is normal, your brain are used to the vinyl euphonic sound, so you like it. Otherwise digital are not euphonic and more transparent than LP.
Fortunately for vinyl the RIAA EQ Curve do a great job to boost the mid-bass range 70-300Hz and it give a satisfaction felling that die hard fans love.
Also a good cartridge made alot of harmonics that enhances the sound til the hi freq, it is a mechanical system but it works.
The 33rpm LP was the only useful invention of CBS.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 20 Mar 2012, 08:13 am »
It seems to me, just via reading, if you were faced to make a decision based on reading alone, it is a complete stalemate on all sides.

Redbook sounds as good as anything out there as long as it is well recorded. Anything out there. Then, you have Redbook sounds much better if you rip it to a computer and play it from that. We don't know why exactly, but for whatever reason, audio sounds better ripped from RAM and sent through a dac than read by cd directly as a transport(what?). Then we have hidef audio through a computer, and it doesn't matter what kind of computer, standalone Squeezebox, Mac (has magical audio powers), and PC, into a standalone dac eviscerates vinyl and redbook. Then we have vinyl is superior to all. It has life and snap and pop. then we have well recorded redbook and vinyl as indistingishable via blind test. Then we have redbook is capable of all the dynamic range and resolution we'll ever need and hi-rez is a scam, but no, hi-rez is what you really want.. and on and on. Dacs are important. No, dacs are irrelevant, preamps matter most, etc, etc.

Here's the audio book I would buy: someone makes direct analysis and measurements of the most popular types of audio gear, from low to high end, without shot-calling brands, and gives a no holds barred, unbiased analysis of the range of possibility with each gear at each price point, their direct importance in a sytem, and once and for all settles the issue of which media type is superior.

Because at this point, I see no point in unplugging my cd player.
Anything out there. Then, you have Redbook sounds much better if you rip it to a computer and play it from that. We don't know why exactly, but...
Seems the optical reading from Laser are not perfect (the disc polycarbonate, wet, air and light prejudice the reading), compared to a computer HD, and a computer soundboard had smaller jitter(I read afew years ago, it could be 9pico seconds), than a Laser transport.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:02 am »
Reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend of mine.  He was lamenting the paucity of smart movies and TV shows.  I pointed out that smart people are the minority, so any time you make something that appeals to intelligent people, you have severely limited your potential market, right out of the gate.  Most TV, most Movies, and most music are dumb because people, as a rule, are dumb.
Out of topic, but reading, music and movies are mind laundering, but TV is the most powerful brain washing we are exposed, with the ColorTV intensity increased, and in the 1990years boys began tobe silly, and girls become vulgar and authoritarian.

As result we are living today in a generation of adult fools, teenagers are more dumbs, and unable to read a book or question anything, they accept anything TV shows, and challenge only their parents.

BobRex

« Reply #58 on: 20 Mar 2012, 03:16 pm »
I live all those days, so what happened was that Philips see LP sales were decreasing every year since the 1960 years, the general public was no longer buying LPs, because it became aware to everyone that it was a waste of money, due the LP short useful life.
Nor used stores could sell any used vinyl, because people wanted to buy used vinyl far less than new, it mean hi noise, or worse a needle in loop. :duh:

It definitely wasn't sound quality.
I see it was sound quality too, as the 1970/80 turntables were not this good as today, and it were more expensiviest than today, so it were easy to assemble a system with a cd player.
Unfortunately record companies used to press CDs with mastering tapes equalized for Vinyl, and it sound very bad.
rbCDs sound good if the recording and mastering job is good, and with SACDs so the def capability is huge, I never listen a vinyl better than this CD(recorded in DSD):
http://www.amazon.com/Blonde-Various-Artists/dp/B00005JCHS/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332228279&sr=1-3

Are you working off of facts or just your own opinion?  You don't mention convenience and the ascendence of cassettes as being the downfall of lps.  Why not?  After all, CDs were developed to replace the cassette, which was the dominant form of music purchases, BECAUSE of their convenience and ability to play in portable players - think cars.

Short life of LPs?  Say what????  I've got lps over 50 years old that play fine.  How long of a life do you want?

As far as turntables from the 70's and 80's not being as good.  Well, factually wrong again.  When was the LP12 developed?  How about that wonder of wonders the SL1200, or it's many predecessors (SP10?).  I sold hundreds of high quality tables back then, many of them are still revered today.  Can you say Yamaha PX 2 and 3, Micro Sekei, Revox, VPI, and Sota, as well as the almighty assorted others?  Also keep in mind that many of the people now discovering the "wonders of vinyl" are doing so with rejuvinated cheap tables from the 70's and 80's, so there goes your expensive complaint.

Now if you would have mentioned the multitude of problems plauging the LP pressing industry, then you might have had a point.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #59 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm »
Are you working off of facts or just your own opinion?  You don't mention convenience and the ascendence of cassettes as being the downfall of lps.  Why not?  After all, CDs were developed to replace the cassette, which was the dominant form of music purchases, BECAUSE of their convenience and ability to play in portable players - think cars.

Short life of LPs?  Say what????  I've got lps over 50 years old that play fine.  How long of a life do you want?

As far as turntables from the 70's and 80's not being as good.  Well, factually wrong again.  When was the LP12 developed?  How about that wonder of wonders the SL1200, or it's many predecessors (SP10?).  I sold hundreds of high quality tables back then, many of them are still revered today.  Can you say Yamaha PX 2 and 3, Micro Sekei, Revox, VPI, and Sota, as well as the almighty assorted others?  Also keep in mind that many of the people now discovering the "wonders of vinyl" are doing so with rejuvenated cheap tables from the 70's and 80's, so there goes your expensive complaint.

Now if you would have mentioned the multitude of problems plaguing the LP pressing industry, then you might have had a point.

this is correct, on many lewels.  besides the intense marketing of the major labels, it was the conwenience of cd that that helped it supplant winyl.  it amazed me that anyone would ewer purchase a pre-recorded cassette, but they did.  cassettes sounded so bad, especially pre-recorded ones.  i had a lot of cassettes - i made them for my car.  but i never listened to them on my home stereo.  tapes i made always sounded better than the pre-recorded iterations.  but still not good enough for the main system.  i knew a few folks w/top-of-the-line decks - nak, rewox, tandberg, etc.  i still thought they sucked compared to a decent turntable.  (one guy i knew had about 500 bootleg grateful dead tapes and about 100 bootleg little feat tapes - all from live concerts.  he's the only guy i ever knew who wasn't nuts to have spent big bucks on a top-line nak deck.)

so, if folks were buying pre-recorded cassettes, it's obvious that the "masses" were more interested in conwenience than sound quality.  for relatively minimal inwestment in time and money, people could have bought blank tapes, an album, and had better sound in their homes w/the album, and better sound in their cars, cuz the tape they made will sound better than the pre-recorded tape anyway.  (unless the go cheap, w/the lower quality tape - like the pre-recorded iterations.)  but most folks didn't care - too lazy to record an album, and who cares if cassettes sound like shite; may as well listen to the cassette in the home as well as in the car. 

quality sound didn't stand a chance, what w/most folks not caring about quality, and w/the marketing drive to obsolete winyl, which is really expensive to produce.

doug s.