A reference recording: Dead Can Dance, MOFI Silver Label....

Wayner

I received this for Christmas, called Spiritchaser. It is stellar in every way, shape and form.

One of the best LPs I have ever heard. MOFI did an outstanding job on this one.

Highly recommended for all you fellow vinyl guys and gals.

Once again, a band I had never heard of.

Wayner

Sonny

Wayner, you should get the other one as well from Dead Can Dance called "Into the Labyrinth".  Also on MOFI!
I have both and also the Spirit Chaser on MOFI SACD (Japanese) as well!

Wayner

Sonny, it's on order, 6 weeks out!!!

Can't wait!

Thanks for tip tho.

:hyper:

vortrex

I got this and 'Into The Labyrinth'.  both are pretty incredible sounding.

Wayner

Good, then I wasn't imagining things. I heard reverb go out about 2 blocks in either direction. What language are they singing in? Sounds like American Indian of some tribe at times, other times it sounds like It's from Voo-Doo central.

The explanation for the name as I understand it was that most musical instruments used by the band were from trees and animal skins, therefore the "dead can dance".

Whatever.

Wayner

WGH

What language are they singing in? Sounds like American Indian of some tribe at times, other times it sounds like It's from Voo-Doo central.

Lisa Gerrard sings many of her songs in a made up language that she started using at the age of twelve.

rcag_ils

It would help me a great deal to make the purchasing decision if someone could tell me what type of music they play. Is it disco, rock, soul, jazz, hip hop, classical or all of the above. If it's a rock band, do they sound anything like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or Neil Young?

WGH

It would help me a great deal to make the purchasing decision if someone could tell me what type of music they play. Is it disco, rock, soul, jazz, hip hop, classical or all of the above. If it's a rock band, do they sound anything like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or Neil Young?

None of the above. The closest description would be ethereal old world trance poetry.
Listen: http://www.last.fm/music/Dead+Can+Dance
Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7Oc1eAIfI

ricmon

None of the above. The closest description would be ethereal old world trance poetry.
Listen: http://www.last.fm/music/Dead+Can+Dance
Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7Oc1eAIfI

lmao....that's a great description of their music.  Their projects have caught my eye for some time now.  Maybe I'll get one of the MoFi editions.

Ric

Wayner

Very heavy into non standard rhythm and poetry. There is a hint of "old world" and a small amount of asian hints.

You may like it not because of the musical style, but because of the recording quality.

Wayner

vortrex

Re: A reference recording: Dead Can Dance, MOFI Silver Label....
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm »
it sounds like some sort of ethnic/industrial cross to me, at times.  I don't get too into the music but it will surely make your system shine and is fun to listen to here and there.

PierreB

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm »

Wayner

Will be my next album. Dead Can Dance is a great group.
If you like James Taylor, buy the JT album also from MoFi. Wow.

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:35 pm »
And for those of you with an SACD player, MoFi remastered the whole DCD catalog about a year or so ago.  Equally good job.

nathanm

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:42 pm »
And for those of you with an SACD player, MoFi remastered the whole DCD catalog about a year or so ago.  Equally good job.
Damn…that is tempting.  I totally don't NEED it, but it would be an interesting A\B comparison.  Erm, idiot question time…I thought SACD was a dead format these days.  Not so?

Wayner, I am glad to hear of you discovering Dead Can Dance.  In my view you can't go wrong with anything they've ever put out.

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm »
Once in awhile this old country boy strikes out into different modes, thanks to the many friends I have. This LP has, again, opened new doors of adventure for me. I rank DCD with Andreas Vollenweider, perhaps even beyond him.

Editorial time: Why more folks don't know about this band is beyond my understanding of music promotion. I just don't get it.

W

Photon46

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:14 am »
I was introduced to DCD nearly twenty years ago in a college music appreciation course I was taking. I was immediately struck by their music and they've remained a favorite ever since. I've been wanting to buy the vinyl reissues, but I bought the black velvet box SACD set when that was issued. As much as I love 'em, how many times can I justify buying the same music????

vinyl_lady

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:19 am »
I heard DCD for the first time at RMAF in 2010 and frankly couldn't leave the room fast enough -- not something I wanted to listen to for more than 30 seconds. I never got into any of the new age stuff with chants and the like. I know lots of folks like DCD and use them for critical evaluation and to show off a system, but it's just not my cup of tea music wise. Everytime I try to branch out beyond rock n roll and its derivities, I am reminded why my collection is essentially all rock n roll. As they say, different strokes for different folks. 8)

On the other hand, the James Taylor MoFi sounds like a record I need to add to my collection.

Laura

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:21 am »
Just in case you all haven't been to the "Dead Can Dance - The Official Site" recently you can sign up to download a free 4 track EP.
http://deadcandance.com/

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:24 am »
I heard DCD for the first time at RMAF in 2010 and frankly couldn't leave the room fast enough -- not something I wanted to listen to for more than 30 seconds.

That is sooo sad.  :bawl:
I'll be sure leave them off my demo.

Wayne

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:31 am »
Being a huge fan of DCD, if you can find it - Into the Labyrinth is my favorite.