CD player advances?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
CD player advances?
« on: 2 Jan 2012, 04:28 am »
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or not.  If not, please move it to the appropriate Circle.
Last night I was listening to a blues program on a Sherwood S3000-III and once that was over I put in a CD and the difference was appalling with the CD sounding really dismal.
I spent this evening comparing Jethro Tull's Benefit on vinyl with a CD-R I burned and the results were equally disappointing.  It seems that when the manufacturer's go for that "analog sound" they confuse it with mush. 
The Hhb BurnIt 830 Plus was close but no cigar - no depth to the soundstage whatsoever but at least it wasn't murk like the Jolida or Harman Kardon.
I have maybe 1000 CDs and CD-Rs and I like the convenience of CDs.
A shopping spree is coming up and I figure I can spend $1500 for a CD player.  Is there anything out there that will come close to a Well Tempered Classic with an Ortofon 2M Black or a 47 year old tube tuner?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: CD player advances?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2012, 04:49 am »

A shopping spree is coming up and I figure I can spend $1500 for a CD player.  Is there anything out there that will come close to a Well Tempered Classic with an Ortofon 2M Black or a 47 year old tube tuner?

Yes, but you'll have to find the Ark of the Covenant because they're packed in the same crate. But seriously, I'm running a pretty decent CDP here and it doesn't sound like vinyl. Apples and oranges to my mind.

D.D. 

guest1632

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2012, 09:04 am »
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or not.  If not, please move it to the appropriate Circle.
Last night I was listening to a blues program on a Sherwood S3000-III and once that was over I put in a CD and the difference was appalling with the CD sounding really dismal.
I spent this evening comparing Jethro Tull's Benefit on vinyl with a CD-R I burned and the results were equally disappointing.  It seems that when the manufacturer's go for that "analog sound" they confuse it with mush. 
The Hhb BurnIt 830 Plus was close but no cigar - no depth to the soundstage whatsoever but at least it wasn't murk like the Jolida or Harman Kardon.
Hi, Well, go get this Piano 1 from Virtual Audio, and then get a good power cord.

Ray Bron

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2012, 10:01 am »
I've been researching CD players for a few weeks now. None will take the place of a good turntable, but this one made one well-respected reviewer forget about his 10,000 LP collection (at least for a little while). This will be one of my next purchases. Nice unit and you can tube-roll with it!

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-CD-327A-Tube-CD-Player.html

2gumby2

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2012, 11:20 am »
In that price range, I would recommend the Sony SCD 5400. Going up a little further in price I would recommend the Arcam FMJ CD37. I own both and they are great players.

guest1632

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:11 pm »
In that price range, I would recommend the Sony SCD 5400. Going up a little further in price I would recommend the Arca m FMJ CD37. I own both and they are great players.

Ok, what prices for either player, and have you heard the Piano 1? Not saying either of the two players you've mentioned are better than the Virtual Audio player, but Rollo says you get that one and upgrade the power cord, and it then sounds marvelous.

Ray Bronk

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:14 pm »
Personally I would try to find a used TRL Modified Sony DVP-NS900V SACD/CD Player or other TRL modified unit.  Short of that find a good used Sony DVP-NS900V and send it to Paul Weitzel for modification.  You simply can't go wrong.  I picked up one from a fellow AC'er and couldn't be happier.

NB

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:26 pm »
Used is fine, too.
The track I used was Jethro Tull's "With You There To Help Me" which is a tough piece to reproduce.  There's an awful lot swirling overdubs and Martin Barre was giving his Les Paul a real workout. 
Ian Anderson had mentioned something about possibly replacing him right before the album was recorded which spurred him on some.
The guitar work at the end comes slamming out of the speakers on the vinyl and on the CD-R it was a bit tepid - picture Andre the Giant with a fifth of vodka in him turning into Barry Manilow with a nice plate of quiche lorraine and you've got the idea.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2012, 01:54 pm »
A used Resolution Audio Opus 21 would be my choice in your price range. Read some reviews. A bonus is customer support that can't be beat.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2012, 03:39 pm »
 Steve for years we searched for a CDP that was close in sonics to our Linn LP12. Now using a Kuzma Stobi S and Stogi S12" VTA arm.
    The winner for us was a Lector CDP 7TL.  Tubed using 12AT7s for cathode follower and gain. New they are not inexpensive and frankly do not sound the same. If you can find one used under $1650 great. The other  is a Plinius CD 101 which is a tad better in the low end only than the Lector.
    A disclaimer we sell Plinius CD101.

charles

charles

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2012, 04:04 pm »
Another vote for modding out a CDP or buying one that's already been modded. Several years ago I picked up a very well made Chinese tubed CD player for $500 and modded the hell out of it -- new tube, caps, diodes, discrete opamps, and clock. I'll put it up against any CDP at any price and it won't go home embarrassed. In fact, one day, a friend brought over his expensive transport/DAC combo and we couldn't tell the difference in sound.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2012, 04:24 pm »
What about adding a DAC?  You already have transports that are not likely to be improved on, you'll get more for your money by just adding the DAC hardware.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2012, 04:41 pm »
I spent this evening comparing Jethro Tull's Benefit on vinyl with a CD-R I burned and the results were equally disappointing.
Hi Steve,

Just so that I'm clear here, the CD-R was burned from the analog output of the turntable, correct? You are comparing the vinyl with a digital copy of it (not a copy of a CD version)?

cheers,

AJ

Old timer

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:07 pm »
Personally I would try to find a used TRL Modified Sony DVP-NS900V SACD/CD Player or other TRL modified unit.  Short of that find a good used Sony DVP-NS900V and send it to Paul Weitzel for modification.  You simply can't go wrong.  I picked up one from a fellow AC'er and couldn't be happier.

NB

I'll second that. I own a TRL/Sony 595 and a TRL/Marantz 8001. I bought the 595 in 2006? after a friend brought his TRL modified Sony 595 over and it bested my Esoteric DV-50 in every way possible. Better dynamics, better resolution, better staging, better focus, lower noise floor, more low level detail, etc.

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:11 pm »
Buy the $999 Marantz player and spend the rest on music. Far and away the majority of 'bad digital' is with the CD........ NOT the player.

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:33 pm »
I would get a Oppo BD-95 and send it to Modwright for the solid state upgrade.  It will sound better than just about ANY high priced CD unit.  It's THAT good.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2012, 05:41 pm »
AJ,
Yes, the CD-R was burned on the same system from the same album using an Hhb burner done last week.
Installing two NOS Bugle Boy tubes in the preamp really exposed the digital's shortcomings.  Before it wasn't that noticeable.
The systems are all tube components but they're not that "golden glow" sound, it's more Marshall Stack than Ampeg Gemini II if that makes any sense.
Lots of food for thought.

Freo-1

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2012, 07:24 pm »

PS: The Modwright Oppo will easily outperform the turntable/tuner combo.  If you REALLY want to get even better sound, go for the tube out upgrade.  Beats  or equals ANY setup, regardless of price.

Had some folks over for a listen the other day, and they could not believe just how good the Modwright Oppo units sound (and yes, they were vinyl guys).

audiobat

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2012, 08:49 pm »
Must have found his Oppo in the crate with the Arc of the Covenant? :lol:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2012, 09:02 pm »
AJ,
Yes, the CD-R was burned on the same system from the same album using an Hhb burner done last week.
Ok, cool, that's the way for a closer comparison.

Installing two NOS Bugle Boy tubes in the preamp really exposed the digital's shortcomings.  Before it wasn't that noticeable.
The latter would be expected, differences but subtle, as the the vinyl changes slightly with each play, perceptible or not. The former seems odd, don't know how a change in tubes could create significant differences on inputs of the pre.

The systems are all tube components but they're not that "golden glow" sound, it's more Marshall Stack than Ampeg Gemini II if that makes any sense.
Lots of food for thought.
I half expected to see a stack of Marshalls, but it appears you are a Maggie man. :wink:
Did you put on the vinyl and cue up the CDR at the same time, then flip between them, or was it one first, then the other?

cheers,

AJ