Supertweeters?

murphys

Supertweeters?
« on: 27 Jun 2003, 12:56 pm »
Supertweeters are becoming increasingly popular and I wondered if anyone has experience of mating these with the Omega speakers? The Fostex specification sheets for the FE167E (TS2) and FE207E (TS1) enclosures indicate that this is an option but do you lose the benefits of the single-driver approach? I believe the crossover would be absolutely minimal and the crossover point around 12 - 14K. Any advice or views will be gratefully received, positive or negative!

wunderlast

Supertweeters?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2003, 05:48 pm »
One advantage with the TS1 would be greater dispersion of high frequencies.  The 8-inch Fostex sounds great, but even with the whizzer, it is a bit beamy leaving a small sweetspot.

Minimal crossover - really minimal. Use a single cap on the tweeter to cut it off at 10KHz or better.  No need to add anything to the Fostex.  This will have no effect on the Fostex, and no crossover in critical range.

What is critical is that you get the phase alignment correct. One thing you could do (and Im sure there will be even better suggestions) would be to place the tweeter on top with the voice coil approximately aligned with the voice coil of the Fostex.  Listen.  Slide the tweeter back and forth and listen, stop when it sounds its best.  You would not lose any benefit of a full-range driver, as long as you get the phase alignment correct.

murphys

Supertweeters?
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2003, 12:34 pm »
wunderlast, thanks for the reply, very helpful and informative. I have the TS2R and I definitely intend to give this a try. Anyone else out there with experience of supertweeters?

Louis O

Supertweeters?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2003, 12:46 pm »
I've been working with a fostex supertweeter and really like it. It has extension to 50KHz and really flat. For the TS2/1, Grande 6/8 it works great. Just need a small cap. Wunderlast is right at about 10KHz. I have to figure out a way to make a cradle for it to fit on top of the cabinet.

Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Best Regards,
Louis

murphys

Supertweeters?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2003, 03:22 pm »
Louis, thanks for the reply, I was hoping you might be looking at this yourself. Which model supertweeter have you been using and do you think you will offer this as an upgrade, perhaps with cradle/cap and cables? I am in the UK and haven't found a supplier yet, anyone know of one?

calsaint

Supertweeters?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2003, 02:24 am »
I haven't really messed around in this area, but I've got a pair of 40-1218 Piezos that I'll give a shot on top of the 164s in this application. What voltage rating cap should I consider? I'll probably send the wiring out the port -- maybe the binding post cup--. Sheesh it'll look kinda funky (a good funky .. it'll fit right in with the Bottlehead/diy look)

Louis O

Supertweeters?
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2003, 01:11 am »
Hi murphys,

I'm using the Fostex FT-17H. Not to expensive and has extension to 50k. If you want I can send them to you. I don't know of a distributor in the U.K. I'm still working on the cradle. I'm sure I will be able to get it right very soon. An upgrade Super tweeter kit sounds like a great idea. I'll try to put together a package. Also I am working on a Super 8 wide baffle version of the Grande 8 with the Super tweeter. I will most likely show it at the Bottlehead VSAC show.

Hi Calsaint,

Looks like I'll be in your neck of the woods in October for the VSAC. If you can make it it would be great to meet you.

A great cap to use especially for the money is a Solen fast cap at 250V. I would wire the tweeters from the terminals. Can't beat them for the price. Axons are very similar too.

Many thanks ,
Louis

Bwanagreg

Supertweeters?
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2003, 02:07 am »
Also I am working on a Super 8 wide baffle version of the Grande 8 with the Super tweeter.

That sounds really intriguing. I'm glad that I'm working on a 7-channel system - 4 down, 3 to go.  These have potential as great front channel speakers, although I don't seem to miss anything on the high end of the TS-1's as they are.

Louis O

Supertweeters?
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2003, 12:34 am »
Hi Greg,

Sounds like your HT is coming along great. The Super 8s would work great for your fronts and center. I would like to post a picture of them when I get a pair properly finished. I just have MDF test boxes right now.

The speakers have good high end and the Super tweeter adds a bit of air to the music.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bwanagreg

Supertweeters?
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2003, 04:31 pm »
I'll look forward to seeing them. What are the dimensions of the Super 8s?

I just added a RAM CD player, and though it is likely still breaking in, the sound with TS-1's and my lowly Adcom 565/AMC 3030 combo is scary good on good recordings. I almost dropped a drink (talk about "jump factor") when I played Laurie Anderson's "My Compensation" on Life on a String. It has some amazing 360-degree effects that literaly zoom around your head. No, I was not using my surround processor. If anyone doubts how well the TS-1's image, listen to that recording.

Louis O

Supertweeters?
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2003, 12:08 am »
Hi Greg,

Thanks.
The Super 8s are 20"H x 9.5"D x 13"W. Just like a Grande 8, but with the drivers on the wide side of the cabinet. The 20" 4 post Skylan Stands work great. I put in twin 2" ports and the grill partially covers the baffle.

Glad to hear you got one of Bill's cd players. I heard a lot of good things about them and Bill is a great guy to work with.

I listen to my AMC all the time and just put in some new JJ el-34s. Great amp for the money and even came with Tam Transformers. Looks like I'll try out that cd too.

Many thanks,
Louis

calsaint

VSAC
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2003, 01:02 am »
I cannot believe it, but me with my Omega speakers, Adire sub, Bottlehead pre and amps, and general thirst for all audio DIY, cannot attend. I'm so bummed.  :banghead:

Louis O

Supertweeters?
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2003, 12:01 pm »
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear you can't make it. This show is custom taylored for you.
No worries I'm sure I will be out there again maybe for VTV, and they are in SF.

Best Regards,
Louis

murphys

Supertweeters?
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2003, 11:28 am »
Louis, thanks for the additional information and offer. I will e-mail you direct so that we can sort something out. I think an upgrade kit would be most welcome, commercial alternatives from the likes of Tannoy are relatively expensive and may not be as good a match.