Merlin Music VSM Me speaker review

Wind Chaser

Re: Merlin Music VSM Me speaker review
« Reply #20 on: 7 Feb 2008, 07:52 pm »
Geardaddy,

You haven't been around very long...stick around and you'll see a lot more of that "wrong spirit" :lol:

People come and go like the wind and they are not all that thin in skin.

I merely attempted to answer rockadanny's question and help others see what "propagada" is.

This doesn't need to become another polarized pissing contest.  Tolerance for divergent POV's is a good thing.  I'm not endorsing anubisgrau's post or "wrong spirit" as you call it.  rbwalt another newbie wasn't exactly gracious either.  So pass the peace pipe around and let it go! 8)

miklorsmith

« Reply #21 on: 7 Feb 2008, 08:01 pm »
NO MAN, YOU'RE WRONG.   :D  jus' kiddin'

I need an emoticon of a snarling dog, death grip on a bone.

mcullinan

« Reply #22 on: 7 Feb 2008, 08:01 pm »
Lets all smoke an internet doobie and put our finger in our belly button and see what we pull out. I have a bucket of fried chicken in mine.
Mike

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 7 Feb 2008, 08:19 pm »
Lets all smoke an internet doobie and put our finger in our belly button and see what we pull out. I have a bucket of fried chicken in mine.
Mike

KFC?  :drool:  :?   :(  (what happened to the vomicom?)

I use to eat that stuff religiously.  I'd enjoy it and less than a half hour later I'd be sick.  It was a weekly ritual.

Geardaddy

« Reply #24 on: 7 Feb 2008, 09:13 pm »
Wind Chaser, I did not feel you were operating in that "spirit" or for that matter anubisgrau.  I just think we need to be aware of it more than anything.  I also realize that its easy to misrepresent oneself online.  I have had many phone conversations with philes after stating some sort of dialogue online, and it was always striking to me how different they seemed.  All this being said, I little divisiveness and trash talking can eventually be productive on threads ...I discovered that on a recent "speaker showcase" thread I started... 

p.s.  I have been involved with Audiogon since 02 but only recently discovered AC.  I prefer its more informal and personal vibe 8)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 7 Feb 2008, 09:18 pm »
This is a good place, probably the best audio site on the web.

I'm surprised the Borg hasn't assimilated everyone yet.

rbwalt

« Reply #26 on: 7 Feb 2008, 09:58 pm »
gentlemen thank you all for contributing. i found it of interest reading everyone's take on the word propaganda. i will try to be a bit more gentle the next time in my responses.

rob w.

anubisgrau

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:20 pm »
sorry guys, didn't mean to offend anyone.... just a bit irritated with a constant flood of reviews on how magnificent merlin speakers are. good, excellent or fantastic probably they are, but they are not the only good speakers out there. I also know some people who don't like them at all - maybe just as many as the other side but you don't hear that.
it seemed like a pattern to me, but anyway..... who cares. at least we didn't have copy/paste business on different fora.

Geardaddy

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2008, 02:55 pm »
no worries dude.  You had a valid point....we have to watch ourselves.  I have a tendency (probably due to my audio hubris) to wave the flag for my equipment in an unsolicited manner.  This behaviour can be on the verge of propaganda...of the subconscious variety.

mcullinan

« Reply #29 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:10 pm »
I was thinking about one word to describe the MErlins and that word is tone. Thats what they are all about. Thanks.

And I have met plenty of people who also dont like the Merlins. To each his own I suppose. Plus the gazillion variables that are thrown into the assessment, it makes every opinion difficult to decipher.
Mike

rbwalt

« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:38 pm »
Anubisgrau so you are irritated by all the posts of how great the Merlin's are. i know you do not like them and you say many other people do not like them either. please tell us what it is about them that you do not like and why other people do not care for them. Oh by the way have you ever heard a pair of MXe's properly set up in someones home?

rob.

saisunil

« Reply #31 on: 11 Feb 2008, 04:50 pm »
My limited listening experience with Merlins have only been at shows.
For me, Merlins did least harm and never offended me. If anything Merlins did not have instant gratification or attention grabbing quality for me at the shows when my mind and ears are overloaded with different sounds.

From a straight box design point of view - it appears to be a tad overpriced.
But, they tend not be be fussy about room placement or sensitive about gear and cable matching like some speakers can be.

What I like about the company is that they have taken one speaker design and continued to perfect it over time.

This is probably not a "value" speaker but a speak with the least evil  :green:

All being said - I have not had a chance to hear them properly set up in someone home.

anubisgrau

« Reply #32 on: 30 Sep 2008, 10:42 pm »
Anubisgrau so you are irritated by all the posts of how great the Merlin's are. i know you do not like them and you say many other people do not like them either. please tell us what it is about them that you do not like and why other people do not care for them. Oh by the way have you ever heard a pair of MXe's properly set up in someones home?

rob.

rob, i have no opinion of merlin speakers as i have never heard or seen one but i know it's one of the most frequently reviewed speakers on a'gon, AA and similar boards. on the other hand, i personally know even more people who dislike them. it's very seldom that you'll find a healthy discussion on them, just raving.

personally i can only tell you whole that thing pushed me away from thoughts of buying them. my intuition tells me that not each and every review on the net is actually independent & non-affiliated. i've noticed that many many times. i know how some reviews on 6moons are made. maybe i was paranoid and maybe i missed the speaker of my life but i smelled a rat. sorry.

for example, i think that reference 3A de capo i is the best reasonably priced 2-way speaker on planet and it sells fantastic. according to a dealer i know, it sells much better than merlin.

where the hell are the reviews? i personally don't mind - if i mind i would write one - but i haven't noticed people posting the same review on these on each & every forum around.

anyway, i accept i can be wrong. maybe it's just bad moods -for what i have no reason actually.

melville

« Reply #33 on: 10 Nov 2008, 09:19 pm »
I have owned the DeCapo and the Virtuoso.  Neither of these came close to the quality of sound that I get from a pair of very early production Merlin VSM SE speakers.  The only upgrade that I performed was to have my BAM 'Supered'.  And I used the Virtuosos with an Art Audio Carissa and a Pcx modified Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1, both  very highly-regarded components.  I use an Accuphase a-30, Space-tech Labs QA 115 REG, and Pcx-modded Denon 3910 with the Merlins.  I have read several good reviews of the DeCapos, but ink on the Virtuosos is more scarce. 

drphoto

« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2008, 04:03 am »
I've recently sent back my TSM-M for the MMe upgrade. I'll post my impressions when I get them back and run in a bit. In my setup, I thought the plain TSM-M was a little bit 'brittle' in the high end, but some of that may be the lack of room treatments. However, Bobby promises that the upgrade removes any edginess but adds even more transparancy.