Roku/Netflix Adaptive Streaming = Meh

wushuliu

Roku/Netflix Adaptive Streaming = Meh
« on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:52 am »
A couple months ago there was a thread where some folks were sharing less than impressed experiences with Roku and Netflix. I defended both products based on personal experience and felt that there must have been something wrong on their end causing problems. Well, turns out I was wrong:

1. Netflix has some kind of adaptive streaming for newer devices which manages bitrate on the fly

2. Roku in a race to appeal to the lowest common denominator not only went with a cheaper chip after the Gen1 model, but also dropped buffering for on the fly playback w/ the caveat being the first 10-30 seconds of video looks like crap until Netflix's adaptive streaming hit the maximum for the end user.

In other words, they sucked :evil:. Even with wired connection and high bandwidth Netflix looked slightly blurred, image quality a little bit soft or off depending on the material. This was the same on a Panny Blu-ray player as well. So there is no escaping for newer devices (I do not know what the criteria are for getting adaptive streaming on a player). Add insult to injury, Roku feels that people would rather have instant playback even if the streaming quality has not been with buffering so the opening of any program or replay of a program looks like pixellated crap until the adaptive sorts things out. Unacceptable for anyone with the slightest interest in image quality. Other have complained about this on the Roku forum but they are dismissed by the cheer-leaders.

The GOOD NEWS: The original Roku which I own does not appear to use the adaptive streaming and therefore I have always gotten stellar HD quality playback for all programs, even old movies look flawless. Plus color balance to my eyes is more natural, without the 'pop' of the adaptive. This was why I was perplexed at the criticisms, but now I understand. So for those who want to experience outstanding streaming quality GET THE ORIGINAL ROKU. :thumb:

low.pfile

Re: Roku/Netflix Adaptive Streaming = Meh
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2012, 04:52 pm »
your post is timely wushu
I was just looking up rokus. I am looking for HD version. But it seems your older model has better streaming.

It seems like there are at least 3 generations...the newest have big rounds on the corners with no venting at the top, the version before that had little round corners, and the model before that had regular square corners and a large purple logo plate on the front face right side.

So, which model are you recommending that has acceptable buffering? you state "original Roku", but is the original 720 or 1080? my local craiglist has a few listed. I need HDMI.

thanks, ed

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:33 pm »
your post is timely wushu
I was just looking up rokus. I am looking for HD version. But it seems your older model has better streaming.

It seems like there are at least 3 generations...the newest have big rounds on the corners with no venting at the top, the version before that had little round corners, and the model before that had regular square corners and a large purple logo plate on the front face right side.

So, which model are you recommending that has acceptable buffering? you state "original Roku", but is the original 720 or 1080? my local craiglist has a few listed. I need HDMI.

thanks, ed

Hi ed, I am referring to the square 720p model...

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2012, 09:56 pm »
I'm not having that problem with my newer HD model. Did you sort it out?

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2012, 11:47 pm »
I'm not having that problem with my newer HD model. Did you sort it out?

No I stayed with the original. Maybe Roku resolved the buffering in an update. Regardless I still think the picture quality of the original is the best. A friend also brought over the new Apple TV to compare, and my old Roku still looked better. Sound was much better too. Roku (along with everyone else I'm sure) went with cheaper chips after Gen1 and I think it shows. But I am very picky about picture quality.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:00 pm »
Good thread, great information.  :thumb:

I can see now, that this thread should be "flagged" for the future. Someday, somebody, somewhere is going to comment about their Netflix/Roku unit not being as good as the unit they had "years ago". That's when this thread will surface again. Next thing you know, folks will be scoring Ebay for used Roku units to buy since they're better than the new ones.

Reminds me of the audio guys looking for the old Playstation 1001 models for their superior cound quality.  :lol:

Bob

mhconley

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2012, 10:46 pm »
I dumped Netflix streamng when they decided to charge for it on top of my disk subscription.  I did so because the picture, streaming through our PS3, frankly sucked.  That and they had very little content of interest to me.

I've been an Amazon Prime member for years and recently found Amazon has a lot of interesting content in their streaming video service which is free to Prime members.  So I've been looking at Roku players.

I was considering the Roku 2 XS but this thread has me reconsidering.  Would the N1101 Roku HD-XR be a better choice?  To me, picture quality is paramount.

Thanks,

Martin

nicksgem10s

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2012, 10:02 pm »
Wushuliu great thread.

Also would like to see if anyone can answer Martin's last question.

I am going to finally cut the cord on cable tv in the next month or two.

Convenience would also be great but I definitely want the best possible image quality first.

Can anyone else provide any updates or ideas?  I have not owned a Roku product but am seriously considering it.

I know that latest and greatest is not always the best quality so I appreciate your thread.

I use a 60" Panasonic plasma for TV and a home theater projector on a 106" screen for movies.

I currently have a newer slim PS3 and Panasonic BDP310 BD player. 

Both of these offer streaming Netflix but if I can get better image quality with another device I am ready to go.

Thanks for your help.

-Nick

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2012, 10:15 pm »
I can only speak from my experience. Best thing would be to order the Roku 2 from Amazon and compare image quality to the PS3 and Panasonic. You can return the roku easily with Amazon.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2012, 02:41 am »
I get excellent PQ from my Roku. Netflix can't compete with something like Vudu, but if you have a sufficient internet connection the Netflix HD feed is quite good. I don't know what it was last night, but we watched a movie called "The Caller" on Netflix streaming. This was one of the best looking titles I've ever seen from there. I usually give my Amazon HD streams a slight edge, but Netflix did a great job with this one. PQ is more a function of your internet than it is Netflix or Roku, IMO.

fredgarvin

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2012, 03:52 am »
No problems here either.

soundbitten1

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2013, 09:31 pm »

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2013, 09:38 pm »
Netflix will also stream with the Oppo 105,which supports surround sound audio and 1080P video.

Just picked one up.   So far, so good.

GerryD

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:11 pm »
I have a Roku XD(square model), Apple TV, and built in streaming on both my Panasonic plasma and Sony LED TV's.  I prefer the combination of the Panasonic plasma and Apple TV.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm »
I have a Roku 2 xs, I used to see the picture quality ramp up at the beginning of a show (or after pausing in the middle of one), I haven't noticed it in a long while. Maybe I changed, maybe the Netflix channel changed.

The older Roku models may not have adaptive video, but can they play Netflix in 5.1 surround?

Either way, I'm sure that's are lots of discussion about it at forums.roku.com