48-50in TV, LCD. LED, Plasma, what model, from who?

Folsom

My mother is looking to replace her current TV (old HDTV projection, had a nice picture but is getting dark, plus it is huge).

She is asking me, and I always tell her it isn't all the fine language so much as the model of the TV specifically.

I've seen numerous HDTV's of sorts, and a lot of them can't seem to display proper color range of skin, and really suck at making you believe low light movie scenes. They are simply often very over saturated.

Advise?

WC

Re: 48-50in TV, LCD. LED, Plasma, what model, from who?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm »
Plasma. Panasonic and Samsung both have a range of models. How picky is she with the picture?

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm »

Rclark seems to like this one. For $600.00 I don't see how you could beat it.
 His got me interested in one. I wonder if he still like's it.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111957.0

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
LED's are LED lit LCDs (whereas old LCDs used fluorescent tubes for back lighting).......but that doesn't have the same marketing ring, so manufacturers keep referring to them as LED sets as if they were completely different.

Often at stores the sets are on "store display mode" which jacks up all the brightness / contrast / etc settings to max, so it's hard to judge quality as if they had their display settings properly.  About the only thing you can judge is which is brightest.

With all that said, I think many people including AV magazines agree that for videophiles plasma is still the way to go, and that Panasonic still makes the best ones (among other things because they are one of the few that still make the screens in house).  Samsung is usually mentioned as runner up (I think they also still make plasma screens in house). 

So going with just about any Panasonic plasma should be a good buy for deep black levels, high contrast levels, and smooth images.  The higher your budget allows will progressively give you better picture quality (and more bells & whistles). E.g. The Panasonic ST50 is the entry level series, but highly regarded, whereas the VT50 series is the top of the line & on many lists as the best, but almost double the cost of the ST series.

On the LED/LCD side the victors are less clear cut and more model specific.  The Sony X850 series is highly rated.  They have a 46 & 55 inch size. 

My main issue w/ LED sets is that many process motion in a way that makes the action see "cartoony".  Furthermore, all images, whether movie or video, end up looking like they were shot in video.  I like my movies to look more cinematic, and for that reason I prefer plasma (and in projection JVC projectors).

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm »
Rclark seems to like this one. For $600.00 I don't see how you could beat it.
 His got me interested in one. I wonder if he still like's it.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111957.0

I absolutely love it. The speed of the display, the richness of the colors, the blacks, fabulous image quality. Big thumbs up. I have a large rear-projector tv in my living room but this plasma is much nicer.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2013, 12:17 am »
Thanks for the replies.

She isn't a videophile but why waste money you know?

She is going to have to get a new DVD player with HDMI outs. I think I have explained to her well enough the dangers of buying HDMI cables from the usual places that want $100 for their "good picture quality model". I'll make her buy them from Blue Jeans Cable, save money, and support those dudes that make my favorite interconnects.

I'm not sure which Sony series you refer to. They all have an X in the name.

The Samsung might be a great option even if it doesn't do 1080.

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2013, 12:44 am »
The Samsung might be a great option even if it doesn't do 1080.

I'm still using a 30 year old 25" sony trinitron. I haven't gotten into video yet.
What's the importants of 1080 OVER 720?
I don't do gaming, just DVD'S and basic cable (Non HD.)

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:15 am »
Nothing. My LCD now sitting in my closet was 1080P. It's just a bit higher resolution, but really the advantage comes into play with very very large screens at close distances.

Most games are only 720P... Bluray looks awesome at 720P.

I figured get this because it looks great, and wait for the next true resolution jump, which is 4K, not 1080P, to begin coming down in price.

With this Sammy Plasma I have, you are not suffering for a little less resolution because the image quality and refresh are so darn good. It's nothing to lose sleep over. I don't.

Mine is 6 feet away at 51" size and I don't feel like it's missing anything.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:18 am »
One of the unXXeh6000 series Samsung. Pick your size. Add a decent blu-ray player with an apps portfolio (Nextflix, blah, blah, blah) and she'll be set for life.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/samsung-un40eh6000-led-lcd-tv

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:19 am »
It is just a bump up in resolution. It'll be most noticeable probably in sports broadcasts, as I think a lot of HDTV channels are only 720p. A lot of stuff just doesn't go above 720p yet. Blu-Ray however is mostly 1080p.

My dad has an old Sony Trinitron flat screen CRT. It looks freaking awesome with his old Pioneer DV-333 but it is way too damn small for the size of his room. It is like 37" and the distance is like 20ft or something. Kind of silly but some of us don't get to retire with a lot of $. It has component in, which is getting used. I mean the picture is cinematic. It might weigh as much as 3 plasma TV's (it takes two people and even then it is tough to move around) but it is a great TV if your room is small. Yet of course all the shows on TV leave gray bars on the top and bottom now.

I don't watch TV  :lol: .

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:26 am »
One of the unXXeh6000 series Samsung. Pick your size. Add a decent blu-ray player with an apps portfolio (Nextflix, blah, blah, blah) and she'll be set for life.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/samsung-un40eh6000-led-lcd-tv

I think she is going to get a PS3 with a remote because she knows for another $100 she'll have a fantastic player that does a lot of things. For $100 less she'll get a junker that feezes up and stuff.

I'll suggest the Samsung LED's too.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:27 am »
I've got one of those massive 34" Sony CRTs, about 20' from my chair.  Looks great but I rent few movies so it's fine for sports, regular cable programs.  In another 10 years when it dies I'll see what's out there.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:54 am »
I think she is down for the Samsung Plasma that Rclark got! With a PS3 and two Blue Jean Cables. Mission accomplished  :thumb: . She says Dish Network will set it up for her too; if she can't find the right TV at Costco.

She will be buying next month though most likely.

putz

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:15 am »
I have Panasonic and LG plasma sets and love them both. Only issue for me with Plasma is reflection. If Mom's room has open windows or lights that reflect off the screen it will affect the viewing experience. Not a dealbreaker but putting it out there.

Miss my 34 Sony HD CRT. Still haven't found a Plasma/LCD with a picture as good. Maybe the Pioneer Elite plasma did, but I missed that boat. Speaking of boats, that CRT weighed as much as one.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:35 am »
Have had a couple of Panny Plasmas, 2nd gen (42" and expensive) and 7th gen (58", half the price, 5x the picture).   Plasma's rule!   The others are ok, but don't rule.  I think LCDs are too bright and thus don't have good contrast.   Personal opinion.  My folks own a couple Samsung LCDs.  Not bad, but I'd rather own Plasmas unless heat was a huge factor, in which case I'd opt for the Samsungs.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2013, 02:37 am »
The Super Bowl is in 4 weeks. There may be a nice sale in her future.

My mom just bought a Panasonic plasma herself and she loves it.   

There is quite a bit of information coming out about the 4k and some about the 8k sets. Interesting reading if your a science and/or video guy.

WireNut

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:29 am »

If she needs analog outputs to hook to a receiver or stereo check the back of the TV.
 Some only have toslink outputs so they may need to hook up to a DAC.
 I'm in that situation.

rodge827

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:38 am »
Yo dudes, I tried to chime in on this earlier, but had some PC issues I hope are now fixed.
I just went through this same thing with my brother. He purchased a Samsung UN50ES6580, 50" LED, from Samsung.com on Cyber Monday. Bottom line is we were never able to get the picture to look right even with all of the very god support that Samsung offered.
He was able to return it, and is now waiting for delivery of a Panny TC P50GT50. He has to stay with a 50" to fit in his e-center.

The couple of issues he had were ghosting, edge light leakage, and the Motion Plus was a joke. The Smart Hub was pretty cool though.
Sports are his big thing along with a few movies now and then, no games. He also purchased the Samsung BD-E6500 which has the Smart Hub installed and will work on any HDTV. Samsung gave him a hard time for he return, but after being persistant he got results from the supervisor's, supervisor's, supervisor. :roll:

When things settle down from our Sandy issues we will be getting the Panny TC P50GT50 and an Oppo 103.  :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:51 am »
I'm still using a 30 year old 25" sony trinitron. I haven't gotten into video yet.
What's the importants of 1080 OVER 720?
I don't do gaming, just DVD'S and basic cable (Non HD.)

A good article by CNET about the differences between 720 and 1080p: http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

Just about only Blu-ray and some video games are 1080p.  HD tv is 720p or 1080i which most 720p TVs will do.  "Today's high-def broadcasts are done in either 1080i or 720p, and there's little or no chance they'll jump to 1080p any time soon, because of bandwidth issues."

I bought a 50 inch LG plasma  (http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-50-class-720p-plasma-hdtv-49-9-actual-diagonal-size-/item/50PA4500)  Not as well reviewed as rclark's Samsung but I got it for 500$.  And I think the picture is stunning.  Here is the CNET review for rclark's Sammy which they call "best budget plasma": http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51e450/4505-6482_7-35169613.html

Personally I don't think I would really recommend getting a 50 inch plasma to watch non HD tv unless sitting far away.  Honestly regular tv was probably as good on my old 32 Sony crt.

I think Plasma is stunning but if you will be watching a lot during daytime hours in a room with a lot of windows I would look at LCD or LED as the plasma screen turns into a mirror...

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:02 am »
just close the curtain or set the tv to dynamic mode, it's really not an issue. LCD's are irritating to watch when there is  a lot going on and they judder during large motion pans. My other flat is a Samsung 1080p lcd and the image just isn't as vibrant, pretty, and easy on the eyes. Plasma screen draws you in.