Which speakers with Bryston B60R integrated amp for Rock music?

heliumflight

You know, on the back of your Bryston is a couple of metal jumpers connecting the power and
the pre section of your integrated.
Remove that jumper and polish it with some sort of VERY FINE metal rubbing or polish.
Make it shine like crazy. Then clean it well with alcohol and then apply either Caig DeOxit or Quicksilver Gold or ProteX metal treatment.
Clean all the rca inputs with Caig DeOxit by the way.
Also clean the powercord inlet in the amp.

Why would you want to clean all these surfaces?
Well, a 16 year old amp is bound to have som buildup on the metal surfaces!!!
A good clean is good for the amp, and the sound!!!

Matching the Physics Yara... My guess would be the Epos speaker!!!
But also the DAli Lektor 3 would be good, it should be more warm in the sound, it is also easier to drive I think, that the Epos. But both these speakers do ha a slight peaky treble.
Also if the speaker cable you are using also is 16 years old, I'd suggest re-terminating it...
Cut the ends of the speaker cables, small stumps, to expose new unused surfaces.
Cleaning the speaker terminals on the amp is also a good idea!!

But the most important thing is to CLEAN that jumper and those rca's that connect the pre and power section!!

However... there is a old Dali goodie, it is called the Dali Grand Coupe.
Looks like this:

They do need a powerfull amp.
But I'm sure the bryston will kick them into life quite nicely.
They are ably to play just about all kinds of music.
They are only found on the used market now (around 1000$, and it's likely 10 years old..), but they are smashing!!
And they have a tunefull and adequatly resolved bass!

And if you REALLY want a Warm sound and an insanely easy to drive speaker...
The Pioneer HPM 40!!! I've seen them on sale for like 100$!!!
One might need to recone the woofers, but still...
Presence, warmth and punch and quite resolved also, very tunefull bass! Organic sound I'd say.

Lastly, the DM4's have a fuse inside... over the years one will get some arcing on that holder..
It might be a good idea to look inside and see if the metal surfaces are corroded in the fuseholder...

Imp.

Let me gather all the things I need to do once i get back home....

• Rca inputs clean
    metal jumpers clean with alcohol
    speaker cable re-terminate
    Clean the DM4 fuse holder

I dont think I can get my hands on Dali Grand Coupe but have Ushers V 602 floorstanders. Will it have bass impact, bass extension & low bass frequencies

Kindest regards
helium

Amp: Bryston B 60-R (60wrms @8ohms)
Speakers: B&W DM4 (need to upgarde as bass lean and not warm)
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC MK4
I.C: Shark / Monster cable Thx
Cables: 4mm Jamo OFC

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
I 2nd, or 3rd, the JBL recommendation. A definitive rock speaker. Try to get something used, something from their professional line. There were so many different models made, it would be best if you found something then did a little internet research on it.  Post back here with a model # if you can.

heliumflight

I will definately look at JBL option and come back to you with the model number so that you can share your wisdom and save me from burning my fingers.

* edited as there was a reply to my message while I was typing

JBL or Cerwin-Vega.

As JBL is available here. Any specific model of JBL to pair with my baby amp

Sure. Check out the Studio L880 or L890 models. These are floorstanders. They're sensitive enough to use with the B60. However, they do benefit from using larger amps. I use the L890s myself (with a 4B SST pro) and they're absolutely wonderful, especially for the price!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Ok, no problem. Those are pretty good speakers as well. The main point is what sounds best to you, not anyone else. Are any of those floorstanders?

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Let me gather all the things I need to do once i get back home....

• Rca inputs clean
    metal jumpers clean with alcohol
    speaker cable re-terminate
    Clean the DM4 fuse holder

Kindest regards
helium

A good clean is always good!
Also, a good de-gauss is something I also feel is prudent on older systems...
Densen De-Magic, it's a cd that you play in your system, that will work magic with the system.
What it does is set up a reverse polarity magnetized signal in the circuits and demagnetize the print and components. Rather unique this cd! You play it say 5 times fairly loud the first time, then say once a week, and then you play the 3minute track lower and about 2 or three times in a row.
The track does sound absolutely horrible, it's a sort of strange hum noise in 3 levels.
What it does is that is sort of makes you components "sonically" younger... It's a great product!!!
---
As for the JBL's I agree, they are good for rock, so if you can get such a speaker, I'd opt for those over what I wrote, more LF reach, more punch.
I suggested more large bookshelf's and those some times like more power to really sing than a floor stander.

Now on the subject of bass warmth, there is a matter also...
Because ... once you hear a speaker that really can kick and resolve the important powerrange of music "250 - 60hz", any and all improvement here also help toward a more pleasing bass experience...
So bass warmth might not be what you are really looking for, but one could almost say that you are looking for a better "power range " in your speaker. If the speaker in addition can go down to 35 -45 with this clarity and punch, ok, now we are talking good bass!! I believe the JBL 880 and others will do this.
It's 90.5db in sensitivity and about a 4 ohm design I believe. You will be able to play "rather" loud with it I think. The  880 is also front ported, and that can be important for that "punch" sensation in the sound, playing rock...

The frequency range from say 34hz and down are primarily used for spatial cues, what this means is that those frequecies define the recorded space, as reproduced by your loudspeakers.
And in a "rock" speaker, those are not really "needed" ...
So when looking for a good rock speaker, it could be importnat to remember that you don't need it to go down VERY low... you need response and punch, and preferably clarity down to about 40hz, or so, that will suffice nicely!

If you are by now feeling particularly tweak happy, I've got more ideas...
I'm on a roll here so i'm also gonna mention what could be an improvement for you in addition.
The Musical Fidelity X10-D tube buffer. I'm not gonna say more about it, than that it exists.
Check it out and read about it if you want. It will complicate you set up somewhat, and should only be looked at very last in a round of upgrading, but it might be worthwhile!
It will "warm" the sound you see...

If.. you for some reason are contemplating a new set of speaker cables down the lane...
I have a suggestion for that as well.
Audioquest CV-4 with 36/48volts of di-electric pre-bias. It must be "powered" for say over 36h for the effect to really level off and start working...
It's fairly cheap... about a little under 500 us dollars for a 10 foot pair. (from $200 without the bias system)
And I think that this cable is a bargain, considering what it can do for an "older system" ...
my 2 cents...
I'm gonna be so bold as to say that after cleaning the system, and densen de-magic'ing it, a set of at least "standard" Audioquest CV-4's will do wonders for the about 200 buckaroo's this will set you back. You might wanna do this, before adding new speakers also..  :D

What kind of track would I have used to assess all of these "tweaks" I'm suggesting?
Lenny Kravitz - "I belong to you" AND/or "American Woman". These have a nice blend of bass, attack and decay and harmonic content within the recording. Great for tracking what is actually happening sonically!
Also Mark Knopfler's - "Sailing to Philadelphia" album. It is soooo "complete" in it's harmonic content I feel and will give you a great indication of how your system is able to convey "emotional impact" in music. A very well recorded album!!!
Great for assessing "tunefullness", "pitch accuracy" and so on in the deep end too!

Imp.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2009, 11:59 am by Imperial »

heliumflight

Thanks to all who are attempting to show me my kind prefernce of speakers.

Didn't get much sleep yesterday as I was implementing all the tweaks in my system.

Later on in the day I went to a JBl showroom and heard ES80/ 90. This was connected to a Harman Kardan AVR. This is strictly what I felt.

The vocals was if someone stuffed a pair of socks. The midrange was not clear, muffled and resolution was lost. The bass was kickin' but folks these speakers are not my cup of tea.

Am I making sense? Is this so difficult. This hobby seems more of a science. All I wanted was a pair of speakers...

werd

You know, on the back of your Bryston is a couple of metal jumpers connecting the power and
the pre section of your integrated.
Remove that jumper and polish it with some sort of VERY FINE metal rubbing or polish.
Make it shine like crazy. Then clean it well with alcohol and then apply either Caig DeOxit or Quicksilver Gold or ProteX metal treatment.
Clean all the rca inputs with Caig DeOxit by the way.
Also clean the powercord inlet in the amp.

Why would you want to clean all these surfaces?
Well, a 16 year old amp is bound to have som buildup on the metal surfaces!!!
A good clean is good for the amp, and the sound!!!

Matching the Physics Yara... My guess would be the Epos speaker!!!
But also the DAli Lektor 3 would be good, it should be more warm in the sound, it is also easier to drive I think, that the Epos. But both these speakers do ha a slight peaky treble.
Also if the speaker cable you are using also is 16 years old, I'd suggest re-terminating it...
Cut the ends of the speaker cables, small stumps, to expose new unused surfaces.
Cleaning the speaker terminals on the amp is also a good idea!!

But the most important thing is to CLEAN that jumper and those rca's that connect the pre and power section!!

However... there is a old Dali goodie, it is called the Dali Grand Coupe.
Looks like this:

They do need a powerfull amp.
But I'm sure the bryston will kick them into life quite nicely.
They are ably to play just about all kinds of music.
They are only found on the used market now (around 1000$, and it's likely 10 years old..), but they are smashing!!
And they have a tunefull and adequatly resolved bass!

And if you REALLY want a Warm sound and an insanely easy to drive speaker...
The Pioneer HPM 40!!! I've seen them on sale for like 100$!!!
One might need to recone the woofers, but still...
Presence, warmth and punch and quite resolved also, very tunefull bass! Organic sound I'd say.

Lastly, the DM4's have a fuse inside... over the years one will get some arcing on that holder..
It might be a good idea to look inside and see if the metal surfaces are corroded in the fuseholder...

Imp.

A Bryston dealer here uses a Dali floorstander with his brystons for demo. He even has pmc in stock and chooses to use the Dali's. I have heard them and they are very nice speaks with bryston gear.

heliumflight

A Bryston dealer here uses a Dali floorstander with his brystons for demo. He even has pmc in stock and chooses to use the Dali's. I have heard them and they are very nice speaks with bryston gear.
[/quote]

Dali is available here. Can I know the model no

werd

Dali is available here. Can I know the model no
[/quote]\

here is the link http://dali-speakers.com/display_content.php/INT/speakers.html/173

I am pretty sure these were them, but they were last year or the year befores model.   :thumb:  They use ribbon tweeters. That is probably why they sound so good, as my AZ's have a ribbon tweeter and Bryston are fabulous with ribbons with the new sq series.

They were the Helicon 400's and about 6k a pair.

heliumflight

I am pretty sure these were them, but they were last year or the year befores model.   :thumb:  They use ribbon tweeters. That is probably why they sound so good, as my AZ's have a ribbon tweeter and Bryston are fabulous with ribbons with the new sq series.

Helicon series is way too expensive for me.

Doesn't the Ikon 2 and Lektor 2 use ribbon tweeters?

I hear Dyanaudios have good midbass for impact. How are the Dali's in this area?

konut

Didn't get much sleep yesterday as I was implementing all the tweaks in my system.

Later on in the day I went to a JBl showroom and heard ES80/ 90. This was connected to a Harman Kardan AVR. This is strictly what I felt.

The vocals was if someone stuffed a pair of socks. The midrange was not clear, muffled and resolution was lost. The bass was kickin' but folks these speakers are not my cup of tea.

Am I making sense? Is this so difficult. This hobby seems more of a science. All I wanted was a pair of speakers...

These are from the JBL consumer line and are cheaply made crap. Seek out a dealer for the professional line to get a taste of the real JBL sound. If you can find used JBL pro monitors, that would be ideal.

Just to be perfectly clear. JBL makes at least 3 lines of gear: consumer, pro, and sound reinforcement. It used to be that the consumer line was the pro line in nicer cabinets. That isn't the case anymore. Now the consumer line is mass market crap until one gets up to the really expensive stuff, + $2,000. The pro line is studio monitor grade. The sound reinforcement line is made to be used by bands for entertainment shows.

For your purposes, the best bang for your buck would be to find some used pro line or even older consumer line gear. Speakers from even 40 years ago were really good. Keep a sharp eye out for any older JBL gear that might come up for sale.

werd

Helicon series is way too expensive for me.

Doesn't the Ikon 2 and Lektor 2 use ribbon tweeters?

I hear Dyanaudios have good midbass for impact. How are the Dali's in this area?

Yah i know, you just asked what model they were and i sent you the link. go see what they have for bookshelves if there is a dealer around. Shopping is fun as hell. 

I remember the lowbass to midbass extension was seamless on that floorstander. The pics dont show you how good they look either in real life.

heliumflight

speakers...

For your purposes, the best bang for your buck would be to find some used pro line or even older consumer line gear. Speakers from even 40 years ago were really good. Keep a sharp eye out for any older JBL gear that might come up for sale.

I'm getting vintage speakers...
JBL Sf 25
B&W DM3000
Magnapan SMG

Used
Acoustic energy Aegis evo 3...

I will really appreciate some advices from your experiences.

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2009, 04:34 pm by heliumflight »

konut

The JBL SF25 is from the sound reinforcement line. It is easily the most efficient of the 3 you list, meaning it will be the loudest with the B60R. It SHOULD be fine for rock. I have not personally heard this particular model. If you can audition it before you buy that would be ideal. Be advised that these are 42kg so be prepared to lift some weight! It would be easier for you to bring the B60R and a CD player to where the speakers are, to audition, rather than the other way around.

math-geek

I don't agree with the post that said Dynaudio speakers are not suited to rock music especially considering that their pro series speakers are used the world over as studio monitors.  They are very neutral in their presentation.

That said, I happen to own a 2B and use a separate preamp running Dynaudio Contour 1.3s(similar to Audience52s) and I listen to a wide variety of music, including an extensive collection of classic rock and heavy metal.  The combination sounds incredible, Dynaudios maintain their composure at extreme levels and can handle LOTS of power.  Their lies the problem, the B60 and 2B will drive them to reasonably loud volumes before clipping but you can tell that they could use substantially more power(think 3B).

If you plan on adding an outboard amp in the future Dynaudios may be of interest, otherwise listen to the recommendations that these gentleman are giving you.  This site is just a wealth of information.

Congratulations on the Bryston B60, enjoy!

Earl

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine

Right, that's what I heard when auditioning the JBL L880s @ Fry's electronics. The H/K receiver is at fault there.

Also, the ES is not as good as the Studio L series.

The L 890s hooked up to my 4BSST Pro are dynamite. I promise you.

Daverz

It's probably not helpful, but if you'll indulge me for a moment, I just have to mention that I used Dunlavy SC-IIIs with a B-60 for years and it was a wonderful combination, warm and sweet.  I set the combo up again today, and I haven't enjoyed reproduced music this much in a long time.  They only go down to 50 Hz, but the sealed-box bass is very high quality bass: plangent, tight, and fast.    They are also fairly efficient (92dB).  Your ears do need to be least 8 feet away from each speaker.   But they probably don't have the slam that you might be looking for for rock.  And most impractically, they are not easy to find as, being 6 feet tall, people don't like to ship them.

heliumflight

They are also fairly efficient (92dB). 

Yes I'm trying to find more sensitive speakers with my baby amp.

Can you suggest more brands/ models as careful pairing needs to be done.

I know math-geek mentions that my Bryston B-60 will drive the Dynaudios well for a 150 sqft so now this is really becoming confusing... :duh:

heliumflight

Folks I've narrowed down by search for speakers for Rock music, weight in instruments, full bodied presentation with snap and authority. Please enlighten with your personal experiences...

1. Totem Arros
2. ProAC's Studio 130
3. Dynaudio DM 2/8

Kindest regards
helium

Amp: Bryston B 60-R
Speakers: B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford  MK IV
I.C: Shark 
Cables: 4mm Jamo OFC 
Music: Classical Rock
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2009, 04:08 pm by heliumflight »