Need advice on dome or ribbon tweeter

ricardojoa

Need advice on dome or ribbon tweeter
« on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:11 pm »
Hi,
Im trying to figure what would be my best choice of tweeter for songtower. I am actually more interested with the ribbon tweeters as i heard how they offer better clarity and transperency. But i also heard ribbon also exhibit less vertical and horizontal dispersion in which i think it might be important to the way i listen to music. I dont actually sit in a sweet spot to listen music, rather i prefer listening music while doing others things which may include being off the sweet spot and off from the listening area. Which of the two is more preferable and does the ribbon tweeter really have much difference in terms of vertical and
horizontal dispersion with the songtowers?
Thanks
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2011, 10:29 am by ricardojoa »

srb

Re: Need advice on dome or ribbon werter
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:56 pm »
I don't have the RAAL, but I do have the Aurum Cantus G2 ribbon "werter" or "tqeeter".  The ribbons are more limited in their vertical dispersion than their horizontal dispersion.

I don't notice as much difference moving side to side out of the sweet spot as I do in different vertical listening positions - seated vs standing vs sitting on the floor.

The length of the ribbon affects the vertical dispersion.  Long ribbons have poorer vertical dispersion.  The LCY "half height double wide" ribbon previously used on the SongTowers had a bit better vertical dispersion.  Its a tradeoff, but I would personally prefer to have the ribbons for the times I am sitting in the sweet spot and forego the broader dome dispersion, even if I spent more time out of the sweet spot.

So, if dispersion is your priority, maybe you should get the domes (and save money in the process).  But one other thought is that if Jim and company feel the previous LCY ribbon had substantially better vertical dispersion, maybe he could build you a pair of the previous version as a compromise.

Steve

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2011, 07:07 pm »
I had the SongTowers with a dome in my condo and compared them with the Arum Cantus on my HT1’s.  I thought the price differential between the SongTowers with the dome and ribbon wasn’t worth it.  Having gotten my SoundScapes with the RAAL has made me reconsider my view.   The RAAL is a killer, at least, on my SoundScapes.

Bob

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2011, 07:54 pm »
I listened to a set of ST with the domes before buying. They were terrific, but I opted for the ribbons in set. I don't think you will be disappointed either way. If the price bump is affordable, go for the ribbons.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2011, 08:53 pm »
Hi,
Im trying to figure what would be my best choice of tweeter for songtower. I am actually more interested with the ribbon tweets as i heard how they offer better clarity and transperency. But i also heard ribbon also exhibit less vertical and horizontal dispersion in which i think it might be important to the way i listen to music. I dont actually sit in a sweet spot to listen music, rather i prefer listening music while doing others thing which may include being off the sweet spot and off from the listening area. Which of the two is more preferable and does the ribbon tqeeter really have much difference in terms of vertical and horizontal dispersion with the songtowers?
Thanks

Based on my experience with my previous speaker (ADS L1290) with a dome tweeter and my current HT2-TL with the RAAL ribbon tweeter, in your situation I would recommend the dome tweeter.  With my ADS, I could stand up and walk around the room without the highs dropping off.  With the HT2-TL, there's a big drop in high frequencies when I stand up and move around the room.

ricardojoa

Re: Need advice on dome or ribbon tweeter
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:34 am »
Thanks guys, i think i know what im leaning towards now and i might spend the money on the looks.