Who's contemplating HT4's with 10 inch woofers?

Big Red Machine

Who's contemplating HT4's with 10 inch woofers?
« on: 5 Jun 2009, 06:10 pm »
I am kicking around the idea of the smaller version because my room is only 13.5 x 20.  While fully treated, I am guessing the larger woofers, while fun, my overpower my room.

I am also kicking around the idea of a painted speaker.  Something metallic. :dance:

turkey

Re: Who's contemplating HT4's with 10 inch woofers?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm »
I am also kicking around the idea of a painted speaker.  Something metallic. :dance:

But that plyboo or whatever kind of bamboo Jim used is so pretty. :)

jackass

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2009, 07:12 pm »
I ordered pair #001. :D. My room is about 18 X 22 and I had the same concerns. Jim thinks the 10" version should be capable of ~25Hz. The difference in price between the 12 and 10" versions is pretty substantial as well.

Chris

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2009, 07:52 pm »
I'm sure you would be perfectly happy with the 10", but for the record, the12" box tuning is dead flat in the area that excites room problems the most.  It (the 12") would probably work better in a small room than the current HT3. 

jackass

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:09 pm »
I'm sure you would be perfectly happy with the 10", but for the record, the12" box tuning is dead flat in the area that excites room problems the most.  It (the 12") would probably work better in a small room than the current HT3.

Dennis,
Is this a function of woofer size or the design of the HT4? In other words, do you forsee the 10" version as more problematic then the 12" for a smaller room?

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:11 pm »

The prospect of either version excites me:thumb:

BRM- if you go painted are you getting the MDF cabinets? or bamboozled?
Hey, Jim might be able to get a good deal on some metallic auto paint from either GM or Chrysler.  :o
(Sorry, I know things are pretty rough around there right now, I have many friends and family directly affected, but I couldn't resist an attempt at humor)

Cheers,
Greg

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:22 pm »
Hey, Jim might be able to get a good deal on some metallic auto paint from either GM or Chrysler.  :o
(Sorry, I know things are pretty rough around there right now, I have many friends and family directly affected, but I couldn't resist an attempt at humor)

Cheers,
Greg

Funny, I just bought some Chrysler High Performance Red and some Lamborghini Super Fly yellow yesterday.  Shooting the red right now.  Didn't get much of a deal on it though  :duh: ...

- Jim

JMD

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2009, 10:46 pm »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2009, 11:37 pm »
Jeff Bagby designed the HT4 woofer "system" for maximum extension, and I suspect that's the way the 10" will be done.  But nothing's happened yet.  I'll let Jim handle bass questions from here on out. 

Dennis,
Is this a function of woofer size or the design of the HT4? In other words, do you forsee the 10" version as more problematic then the 12" for a smaller room?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2009, 12:00 am »
I'll be tugging at Jim's ear next weekend about cabinet dimensions for the 10's.  So get going will ya! 

jackass

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2009, 12:49 am »
I'll be tugging at Jim's ear next weekend about cabinet dimensions for the 10's.  So get going will ya!

I can't speak for depth of the cabinet but my understanding is the width should be about the same as the HT3. I would assume the hight should be the same as the HT4 12".

jackass

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2009, 12:50 am »
Jeff Bagby designed the HT4 woofer "system" for maximum extension, and I suspect that's the way the 10" will be done.  But nothing's happened yet.  I'll let Jim handle bass questions from here on out. 

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2009, 01:04 am »
Jeff and I have been communicating on the 10" woofer cabinet for a few weeks now.  I have modeled a number of scenarios.  If we go for maximum flat extension, a 12" wide cabinet (same width as HT3) turns out to be about as deep as the 12" cabinet.  So we will be looking at perhaps moving the F3 up a littleresulting in a cabinet that is not quite so deep.

Regardless of which way we go, we will probably start building prototype test cabinets this coming week.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:16 am »
Are we looking at 2" walls or not necessary with the 10's?

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:26 am »
I just missed the chance to hear Jim's HT4's last monday
not enough time before a plane ride out, maybe august

until I get a larger room (new house)
I'll be very content with the Ht3

fsimms

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:45 am »
At some level, who isn't considering an HT4!  :lol:

Until I get a chance to hear them on my own, like audiotom, I am satisfied with my HT1's!

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2009, 11:50 am »
At some level, who isn't considering an HT4!  :lol:

Until I get a chance to hear them on my own, like audiotom, I am satisfied with my HT1's!

Bob

I'm speakerless right now.  But I also don't have $10k laying around. :duh:

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2009, 11:56 am »
Are we looking at 2" walls or not necessary with the 10's?

I'm looking at 1 1/2" wall for the 1" version.  It should be plenty sufficient. 2" walls with a 12" front baffle would result in a cabinet that is far too deep.  Even 1 1/2" will be a challenge and I would like to keep the front baffle the same width as the top section to keep costs down.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:37 pm »

I'm speakerless right now.  But I also don't have $10k laying around. :duh:
You are speakerless?  :(  That must be awful.  Sorry bud.

I think the 10" versions will sound great in your room.  I look forward to seeing how things progress. 

s_cervin

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2009, 07:27 pm »
Pete,

Whatever you decide will be great I'm sure.  Just glad to see you are still around, didn't see you at AKfest.

SC