Triangle Borea BR03 bookshelf speakers

Tom Bombadil

Triangle Borea BR03 bookshelf speakers
« on: 18 Dec 2021, 12:51 am »
Anyone ever listened to Triangle Borea BR03 bookshelf speakers?

Not super inexpensive, typically selling in the $400-$500/pr range.  Both What Hi-Fi?  and the New York Times Wirecutter review board rave over them.

https://www.trianglehifi.com/en/produit/hifi-bookshelf-speaker-borea-br03/

From What Hi-Fi?: "The Triangles deliver a huge sense of scale, much larger than rivals such as the formidable B&W 607s. They can also boast impressive separation and precision."  "It’s not often we stumble across a pair of speakers at this price that sound as sophisticated as the Triangle Borea BR03s.  For the money, they’re savvy musical performers with a great sense of scale and an even greater appetite for presenting music in a transparent and mature manner. But are they speakers capable of worrying the current class-leaders?  Most definitely."

From Wirecutter: "The Triangle Borea BR03 pair is a great buy for serious music lovers who want the enveloping, captivating sound of real audiophile-grade speakers but don’t want to spend thousands of dollars or sacrifice a lot of floor space on tower speakers. The looks are refined (four finish options are available), and the engineering is outstanding. The Borea BR03 largely eliminates the unnatural sonic colorations—such as boomy, thin, or harsh sound—that come from almost all less-expensive speakers, and it produces a fuller, more satisfying sound than most bookshelf speakers do."

wushuliu

Re: Triangle Borea BR03 bookshelf speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2021, 01:25 am »
Hm, IMO looking at ASR's measurements of the Borea I see good and not so good. On the one hand the response is admirably flat, especially for the price. On the other hand the 6.5in woofer rolls off *really* high at 3.6khz in first order fashion meaning it'll bleed into the tweeter's range. So it's a heavy midrange speaker, won't have the widest stage but if the drivers are decent it'll be warm and smooth.

Triangle has a good reputation and frankly the Borea pulls off what B&W tries to do with their budget monitors - but with flatter response and less breakup in the woofer than B&W. So for <$400 I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Would be a great upgrade option for Danny/GR Research.

EDIT: Here's a review from a YTber I like a lot. Interestingly he describes the Borea as clinical, not warm. But he does mention not caring for the upper mids, as I would expect from the crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRsbcx4LKk
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2021, 05:33 pm by wushuliu »

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2021, 05:51 am »
The "What Hi-Fi?" review noted "There is a very slight peakiness to the treble, but nothing that would deter us. We’d simply recommend you refrain from partnering the Triangles with bright-sounding electronics."

But they also wrote, "There’s a nice tonal balance to the delivery, which is careful and considerate –sophisticated, even. In the past, we’ve tested some Triangle speakers that have sounded hard and bright in the treble, but that’s not the case with the Borea BR03s."

They gave it 5 stars out of a maximum 5 in value.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/triangle-borea-br03

In the NYT Wirecutter review, this Triangle bested ELAC's Debut 2.0 5.2, 6.2, and Uni-Fi UB5 along with the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2

Definitely not the flatest frequency curve I've seen. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2021, 11:47 am »
Sam Telig was a big fan of Triangle speakers, he usually wrote about the floor standers.  A French speaker, I've never heard them.  The consensus seemed to be yes they're bright, but it works, taken to mean the tonal balance is voiced to blend with a peaky treble.  Or a least a flat treble, which is often perceived as bright.  The question being can they be had for $400?
Yup.  On Amazon for $399 on sale, the BR02 model for only $299.  Some like the smaller woofers more on inexpensive models as they integrate with the tweeted better.

burnsy1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2022, 03:40 pm »
I'm a little late to the party but thought I'd share some thoughts.  I bought the br03's for my bedroom two channel system last year.  I've really enjoyed them and it feels like a lot of speaker for the price.  I don't necessarily find them bright, but do find the tweeters to be quite detailed.  For comparison my Canton Vento 836.2's are brighter and also more "airy."  To my ears it's a well rounded speaker from bass to mid to treble. 

I'm powering it with an old rotel rb976 connected to a Marantz 8802 in a pretty large bedroom, they pretty effortlessly fill the room.  To me the sound they produce begs you to listen more... they aren't boring to listen to by any means.

Happy to answer any questions about them if still interested... cheers.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2022, 06:36 pm »
I know this thread is a few months old, but I figure I would chime in on the Triangle Bro 3 speakers

.I put together a nice little system for under 1600.00 not including existing BS Node.

There has been a lot of buzz about this Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp around the web and it got my interest. Made in China but supposedly built in the same factory as Prima Luna. I ordered directly from https://www.china-hifi-audio.com. It was less expensive to order direct than through Amazon. Even though they charge you for international shipping via DHL it actually came from California via Fed Ex like it would from Amazon in 4 days. So, they are being stocked here but hitting you for the overseas shipping I still saved around 400.00 dollars. It's well made and weighs 65 pounds. Can switch between Kt 88, EL 34, and 6550 tubes. Point to point wiring, triode and ultra linear switching also from the remote, 25 watts triode 45 watt ultra linear mode, and built-in bias meter. It came with their brand Kt 88 tubes, but I was never a fan if thKT88 so i purchased a quad of EH EL34s. The pre section consists of three 6sn7 and two 6sl7. I swapped out the 6sl7 for a pair of Sylvania's. From what I have read switching out those tubes makes the most impact in tube rolling on this unit. It didn't mate well with the Audio physics speakers though sounded OK. I decide to look for something more suitable and of course CHEAP and settled on the Triangle Borea 3 which also has a lot of attention around the web 409.00. The Bro3 as it is nicknamed is kick ass for its size. Bass in my room is good especially since its only rated down to 46 hertz. These can handle deep bass just fine. Midrange is great I really like listening to piano, horn music as well as female vocals with this speaker. Top end to me is smooth and not harsh. Cymbals are crisp. I would say these are a neutral sounding speaker, they do not emphasize anything. Imaging is deep. I keep a narrow sound stage due to my toe in and room boundaries and because it sounds good to me, but they can go wide if that's what you like. This is a great speaker if you listen to jazz. It has exceeded my expectations. Nice having 2 systems to play around with.