Another Audio Technica 440 MLa convert in the house

eric the red

Another Audio Technica 440 MLa convert in the house
« on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:40 pm »
 Finally spinning vinyl again with my recently acquired P3 with Incognito/Michell mods (the white looks very cool with the black and white Herbies mat 8)) . After ***ing up my Dynavector, I took the AT plunge after reading the shameless shilling here for it :green: and bought one from The Needle Doctor (great service BTW). Got everything dialed in and pushed play. Yikes. Absolutely brutal gawdaful screechy highs right out of the box and I was ready to post it on Agone after the first LPs. I kept thinking "What a pile of over-hyped crap" but then after about two days of non-stop spinning, somehow the screechiness disappeared and everything now sounds great. I'm taking a 3 day trip to LA today so we'll see when I get back if it's my ears or the cartridge breaking in, but I haven't had this much fun listening to music in years. Nice open well balanced on the lively side sonics. Apply the great bang for a buck label here :P

Airborn

Re: Another Audio Technica 440 MLa convert in the house
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2007, 10:23 pm »
Eric, good to see your rig is up and running again.  :singing:  I'm guessing the AT 440 MLa is feeding your Graham Slee Amp 2 SE, what do you think about the synergy of that combination?  Do you know if that AT works with low mass tone arms?

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2007, 11:26 pm »
Congrat's, Eric!

(living without vinyl is an empty feeling. been there)

WEEZ

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2007, 03:57 pm »
Give it quite a few more LP's before tossing it.   the break-in period is harsh with these.

Mine took a while, like a month.   Then after that period it took a week of playing with adjustments...then i really fell for the sound & performance.   I had become accustomed to styli that were large and not as sensitive to vta, vtf & azimuth.    find that sweetspot...

just a few dips in the magic eraser before & after each session is all that tip needs to stay factory clean.

ricmon

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2007, 04:09 pm »
Eric.  Did you use one of the TT setup lp's.  I used the HiFi News lp  and found it invaluable in setting up my TT in that some of the test tone sweeps revealed how my misaligned cart was the cause of shrillness (in only one of the channels) .  After a few minutes of tweaking perfection.

eric the red

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:06 pm »
Eric.  Did you use one of the TT setup lp's.  I used the HiFi News lp  and found it invaluable in setting up my TT in that some of the test tone sweeps revealed how my misaligned cart was the cause of shrillness (in only one of the channels) .  After a few minutes of tweaking perfection.
No I didn't but thanks for the tip. I used one of the protractors from Vinyl Engine and the Shure Stylus gauge. I'd like to get everything dialed in as acurately as possible so I'll pick up a copy of the Hifi news LP.