Housteau

Re: The Holo Audio May KTE DAC and Serene KTE Preamp
« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2022, 03:12 pm »
Great review and I love your room!

Thank you.

VinceT

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2022, 03:52 pm »
I heard the Holo May at my friend's house.  That thing is no joke, it's a great DAC.

How did it compare to your tube dacs? I know bit of a loaded question because performance is system dependent.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2022, 05:55 pm »
How did it compare to your tube dacs? I know bit of a loaded question because performance is system dependent.

We’ll, I know myself well enough now to know that I will never be happy with a non-tubed digital source.  But if that were taken off the table, the May DAC would be my choice.

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2022, 10:12 pm »
Very nice review.  To me, the digital source/DAC is a major key to good sound from digital.   This DAC is right up there among the best. 

There are two major camps with high end DACs.  One side is firmly in the NOS camp, while the other side is Delta/Sigma.  Custom filtering is used for both types. 

I've heard both types that sound great.  Personally,  my preference is for Delta/Sigma.

StevenZ

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2023, 06:33 pm »
Are you guys still happy with the Serene preamp?

Housteau

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2023, 11:00 pm »
Yes, very much so.

Cappy

« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2023, 08:27 pm »
I've had mine for a year now.  I really like it a lot -- excellent sound and rock solid design.

Pez

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2023, 10:29 pm »
I own the May KTE edition and the Bliss KTE Headphone amp. Holo is one of those companies that releases solid gold gear. Excellent performance from both pieces and superb build quality. I've heard great things about the Red streamer from trusted sources as well.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2023, 11:07 pm »
I see earlier in this thread I wrote about a bunch of dacs I had been trying and had just recently (at that time) started using the Terminator. Fast forward and I wound up with the May KTE and Serene KTE preamp and love them. It would be very hard to replace these. I've heard the Tambaqui DAC and yes I think it bests the May, but not worth double the cost to me. I've used tube preamps prior to the Serene and the Serene is just so transparent. I've really enjoyed using it with tube amps. I'm sure there may be better pre's but again, I think you'd have to spend so much more to really outperform it. BTW, I was initially leaning towards the Spring KTE DAC with the preamp module, but from what I understand you can't bypass the DAC or bypass the preamp module so if you configure it with the DAC+Pre you can't try a tube preamp with the Spring DAC or try a tube dac with the Serene module. I'm sure its a killer product but I wanted the flexibility of being able to mix and match pre's and dacs down the road. That being said I'm very very happy with the Holo stack.

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct 2023, 11:58 pm »
I've had the May KTE edition for 18 months and have zero plans of replacing it. I like this DAC because it is neutral and true to the source, other brand DACs have the manufacturer's signature sound throughout their product line.

I used to use JRiver Media Player as my digital source. The May lets me hear that JRiver has a nice little mid-bass bump that makes even average recordings sound better, but once you hear it, the bump adds it's character to every recording whether it needs it or not.
I can play CDs using the digital out of an Oppo Blu-ray player into the May and actually it doesn't sound bad at all but the May does expose the limits of the medium.

I have been using HQPlayer with a medium powered music server and the combination really shows off how good the May KTE really is. The learning curve can be steep, the Audiophile Style HQPlayer thread is dauntingly long but the rewards are worth it. Hint: instead of reading the entire thread, read the last 5 pages and plug in the filters everyone else is using as a starter. You may never need to change.

But there is plenty to discover in all the conversations, I use the poly-sinc-gauss-long filter and upsample everything to DSD256, it's very nice. Other filters can closely approximate other manufacturer's DAC sound characteristics. The comments below are the most recent, a deeper search into the HQPlayer thread would uncover other DAC/filter similarities.

"Particularly huge effort went first into poly-sinc-ext2 and then later to poly-sinc-gauss-long to make these as good all-rounder filters as possible, for wide array of different music genres. Even though latter is called "long" it is still pretty much middle grounds in terms of length. These are what one could still call "compact" without trading off anything really.

"Note that given otherwise same parameters, only thing that filter length affects is roll-off steepness. Longer the filter gets, steeper it becomes. All other properties stay the same.

[Chord DAC] "Chord-style filters sinc-L group and sinc-short/medium/long the length also affects stop-band attenuation."
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/page/1189/#comment-1256131

[In the latest HQPlayer 5.2.0] "...find new linear phase halfband filters.
"I found the xs one to be very interesting. IMO it shows some similarity to xtr-short."

Miska replied:
"It is something I actually made because someone asked what would be closest to Mola-Mola filter, and there weren't any. So this one fairly closely matches the one used by Mola-Mola. And it is very similar to most DAC chip filters (ESS etc) in terms of response as well. Relatively slow roll-off and fairly low attenuation.

"Main difference to Mola-Mola and DAC chip filters though is that these are single stage to final output rate.

"Since halfband filters are non-apodizing, those are only suitable for content where the Apod counter stays 0 (or close, like under 10)."
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/page/1190/#comment-1256534

"So Mola-Mola Tambaqui falls in category of slow roll-off. Although still not nearly as slow as MQA filter which is down only by -18 dB at same point. Or ESS slow roll-off which is down by -12 dB. These are however only down by -3 dB at 22.05 kHz (green line), so these are halfband filters and thus will have notable leak around Nyquist."

Charts included in post:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/page/1192/#comment-1256677