Class D versus the rest

werd

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #600 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:37 am »
I don't sell the TPA3116... In fact there is no marketing for it besides DIY.

All of the engineers of high end gear will tell you design is first, before parts, and parts are the $. There's no $80 transistors in these things.

Anybody trying to build a system should ask me since I do not sell NOTHING. I do not care how much you want to spend and I not interested in your feedback.

You should probably learn that very engaging bit of social enlightenment.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #601 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:47 am »
Am I to assume this is the response of some body who invested in these amps?  Do not take it to heart they are still amps. Probably not bad but who cares they are cheap. What did you Expect? Entrance and acceptance into audiophile heaven for $300?
So you say cheap? Since they're so cheap, why don't you buy the Crown and judge for yourself? How can you seriously judge it without listening?

werd

« Reply #602 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:00 am »
Because I have heard enough Class D and watched it evolve into a legitment powerhouse in amplification. I was expecting a decent spec. When I finally looked at it (not heard) I realized the reality. Do not waist my time with - oh you haven't heard it. I get that - not heard. What's your point?

Folsom

« Reply #603 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:09 am »
Werd, can you see the benefits to having an all in one chip, as opposed to many yesteryear class D options?

werd

« Reply #604 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:18 am »
That is not enough info? What do you mean "all in one chip"

JohnR

« Reply #605 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:23 am »
From what I saw in the spec sheet, Crown use 0.5% THD as the point where they decide on the power output rating. The only spec for THD says "< 0.5%". It's not unreasonable to assume that anywhere below the "knee" it's considerably lower.

werd

« Reply #606 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:10 am »
From what I saw in the spec sheet, Crown use 0.5% THD as the point where they decide on the power output rating. The only spec for THD says "< 0.5%". It's not unreasonable to assume that anywhere below the "knee" it's considerably lower.

So amp specs are dependant on what?  Marachino amps are .002% distortion on any feel good scenario?  .5% is embarrassing and bad for distortion. 

But you raise a good point. How often distortion raises it's ugly head. When is it .005 and when is it 1%.due to it being in "working mode" ?

jk@home

« Reply #607 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm »
 I returned mine yesterday only to free up the funds for a new SS preamp (NuForce MCP-18). I will watch this thread to see how things play out. When the time comes, may re-buy the Crown again, but this time order two at once, for mono amp use. If they take as long to break in as is suggested here, I would want both amps breaking in together.

jk@home

« Reply #608 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:43 pm »
...I never expected this amp to surpass my Job amp, but for me it does. Some here will prefer the Job. If the Job was $300 and the Crown was $1700, I would still buy the Crown. At very low listening levels, the Crown really takes the cake. I like comparing different amps, and for 300 bucks, I said why not. Life is short, play with as many toys as you can. :thumb:

Thanks for the comparison. I can only assume I didn't give my 1500 sufficient break in time.

OzarkTom

« Reply #609 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm »
Thanks for the comparison. I can only assume I didn't give my 1500 sufficient break in time.

Yep, none of this equipment sounds very good unless you break it in properly.

OzarkTom

« Reply #610 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:53 pm »
Because I have heard enough Class D and watched it evolve into a legitment powerhouse in amplification. I was expecting a decent spec. When I finally looked at it (not heard) I realized the reality. Do not waist my time with - oh you haven't heard it. I get that - not heard. What's your point?

He sounds just like me until I tried this Crown.

OzarkTom

« Reply #611 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:06 pm »
Anybody trying to build a system should ask me since I do not sell NOTHING. I do not care how much you want to spend and I not interested in your feedback.

You should probably learn that very engaging bit of social enlightenment.

Ok, I will bite. So what speakers and amp do you recommend?

jk@home

« Reply #612 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:27 pm »
Yep, none of this equipment sounds very good unless you break it in properly.

At least this next time around, I will have a pre with high gain, low output impedance, and balanced outputs. So I will be able to play with the Crowns input levels more. And I can always add a tube stage upstream if need be later.

guest61169

« Reply #613 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:52 pm »
I can respect that some hobbyists decide which equipment is good or bad, strictly on specs.  Back in the 80s when I was new to the hobby, I would go out to the newstand and buy the new Audio Magazine Equipment Guide and narrow down potential equipment choices by looking at the specs and the prices!  And later by reading literature in which opinions are given but tainted by a vested interest.  As the audio magazines have shown, you can have a vested interest (or even a bias) without actually selling the item.  I'm glad that a few hobbyists still make unbiased decisions by actually listening to a piece of equipment.   

guest61169

« Reply #614 on: 29 Oct 2014, 02:31 pm »
At least this next time around, I will have a pre with high gain, low output impedance, and balanced outputs. So I will be able to play with the Crowns input levels more. And I can always add a tube stage upstream if need be later.

Here are some articles on gain structure:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #615 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:17 pm »
Are you selling Marachino amps? :lol:

werd

« Reply #616 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:24 pm »
Ok, I will bite. So what speakers and amp do you recommend?

Ok I know I sound like a Dick but contraire to what people might think I like all you guys. But I have to say in audio a lot of folk here appear to be their own worst enemy. They run to the next fad with hope and gleam that they've found the next hidden lil gem. Got some news. That ain't happening.

If the criteria for an amp is cheap buy a $300 Crown. But if you do not know what you want in amplification then diving head first into the next fad is just a waste of money.

You are asking what should you buy. I need to know what the criteria or preference in amplification is first.  Do you like low distortion and noise SS amps or are you willing to give up feedback for low feedback class A tube distortion How do you like your sound?

Amps are like car engines. Some amps sound like all their performance is wound up in first gear like a big ole Diesel engine. All the umph is in low gear like high power Class A. Some amps are like engines you find in a dubbed up Hyundai. You gotta get it to speed and it winds around the track at 8000 rpm like. Don't fall to low in rpm or it'll bag out.. like 100 watt Class D amps. Those amps need to be revved up to get a what ever transients it can muster out. Usually not much..lol.
So I am not going to tell yah get this high feedback low distortion 100 watt class AB amp if you want to be sitting in first gear listening to tube distortion.

orientalexpress

« Reply #617 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:37 pm »
Are you selling Marachino amps? :lol:
Now that funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #618 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:44 pm »
As a former dealer. I sold Classe, David Berning, NYAL Futtermans, Threshold, Bryston, Hafler, Bedini, Conrad Johnson, Spectral, Musical Fidelity, Aragon, Belles, Rowland and a few others for amps.

For speakers, I sold Celestion, KEF, Acoustat, VMPS, Spendor, Meridian, Mordaunt Short, Castle, B&W, Pro-Ac, Goetz, Rogers, and a few others.

So what would you say is a great amp and Speakers?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #619 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:49 pm »
Werd,

You like to portray yourself as an expert, dispensing wisdom to the unwashed masses.
 What are your qualifications? Were you born with perfect pitch? Do you have an EE? Have you ever built an amplifier? Do you play a musical instrument?
BTW, how's your hearing? When was the last time you had it checked?
How did you come to the conclusion that you know it all?
I checked your equipment list. Hmm... so you're into fancy and expensive wire. Did measure the specs on this boutique wire?
You paid North of $2000 for some 10' speaker cables! :lol: OTOH you won't cough up $300 to check out an amp! That must be mere pocket change to you. :P