Does anyone have Oblivion for yet?

mcrespo71

« on: 11 Apr 2006, 06:16 am »
I know it's out on multiple formats.  Does anyone have this yet and care to comment on it?  I'm trying to figure out if I should get it for my PC.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2006, 06:36 am »
IMO, there are major major gameplay issues.  The biggest is that enemies level up with you so you basically always feel weak.  Money is hard to come by unless you're a petty thief that steals every spoon and pair of pants you come across.  Gems and jewelry are worth about as much as a set of silverware.  Offensive spells are very weak and healing spells are essentially useless.  Most hardcore players are tweaking their play style in such a way that they are able to increase as many of their stats as possible while remaining as low level as possible.  For PC, though, mods are already available to tweak a lot of this stuff.

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2006, 02:25 am »
Thanks for your comment.

cbj

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2006, 01:04 pm »
I picked up a copy a for the PC about two weeks ago.  I really haven't played it yet aside from just making sure the the graphics and sound settings were fine.  I tend to follow the feast-or-famine routine with games and my time has been devoted to other projects.  On the other hand my wife likes to unwind after work playing computer games for an hour or so and has put a little time into it.  RPGs are her favorite type of game followed by RTS and FPS.  We haven't played any of the other Elder Scrolls series and haven't played any of the MMORPG.  Having said that she has declared it to be the best single player RGP that she has played.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2006, 05:52 pm »
The elder scrolls series of games are certainly among the most ambitious ever created.  Daggerfall and Arena provided even more freedom if you had the imagination to handle it with.  They just mucked with the gameplay a little too much in this one.  Luckily, it seems that it's not beyond repair with mods.  I really would enjoy a complete overhaul of the gameplay.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2006, 03:25 am »
I could pick up the xbox 360 while am here in Singapore, but the game-compatibility issues linger.  So when I am in Baltimore next month I will be bringing back the console and at least this game.
I have read just about everything about this game.  I for one, am going to buy the PC version next year once I get a PC that will run this game with AA and all the other blings.
The modders will make this game over the top.  Right now you can put in mods on the PC version to fix all the little things like leveling up.
By the way, Bethesda is making a patch.

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2006, 02:19 am »
Alright here is my little review so far of Oblivion.   The world is big, I must be getting older, or I need to play more sober.  I have to start taking notes as well.
I am playing through the 360 at 720p on my 93' inch screen.  It does play very dark at night and in dungeons.  So I have to play late at night as it stays light until 10pm or so.  I have ambient light coming in through the curtained windows!
When it is daytime in the game the graphics are amazing and the tale(s) is involving.  There are many side quests and lots of bad things to get you.  I have only played for about 5 hours, which is just a getting my toes wet.  You start out quite weak, as a good roleplaying game will do.  Then slowly get stronger and more addicted.  I have tried to just play in short spurts, it does not work.  Hence the reason for my freshman character.

At this stage I can honestly say that if you are into a fairly non-linear game this is for you.  If you really get frustrated without blinders and have to fend for yourself in a big bad world that you can get lost in for a while, you may stay away.
The music is done very well and really comes into the mood of the game.  All 6 channels are used quite well.
So back to more of it tonight, just gotta play for at least 2 hours to make it worthwhile.
Now Burnout Revenge is a hop in, hop out kind of game.

LordCloud

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2006, 09:50 pm »
I basically agree with ooheadsoo. I am not too happy with the leveling up of enemies and money is ridiculously hard to come by. Actually, money is very easy to come by, adequate amounts of money is what's hard to come by. My spells that I have are not as effective as I would like against enemies, but so far, it's costing too much money to get more powerful ones. I'm also not a fan of the combat system, it's just not my cup of tea.

Now having said that, I totally love the game. I have put over twenty hours into th game, and I have done nothing to affect the main quest. At times I even forget there is a main quest. The side quests are great, I love the open ended game play. But, the more I play the game I am starting to think that the side quests aren't as optional as "they" would have you believe. I can't imagine getting through the game without the strength these quests provide you.

All in all, I think the game is absolutely amazing, it is definately a step in the right direction but not perfect. If you like RPGs or just want to go on a HUGE quest, this may be the game for you. I like it.