Gainclones with Omegas?

nodiak

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:11 am »
HI all,
Am using LM3875 integrated. Using Decware zsla-1 linestage. What about Mini Max or Mapletree pres with gc's? Any experience?  GHM, I have Audiosector dac also (thanks to Paul B's rec.).
Don

maxwalrath

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:26 am »
Getting very nice results with the upgraded EE minimax with the Patek, but I haven't tried any other pres with this amp.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:31 am »
Quote from: nodiak
HI all,
Am using LM3875 integrated. Using Decware zsla-1 linestage. What about Mini Max or Mapletree pres with gc's? Any experience?  GHM, I have Audiosector dac also (thanks to Paul B's rec.).
Don

Hi Don,

What are you using for CD source and speakers?  How do you like the combo?  Interestingly, I have a ZSLA-1 (a fully upgraded one that is) but have never tried with the SB2/DAC/Patek.

nodiak

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2006, 04:05 am »
Thanks for this thread, finally hear from others w/gc and tube pre!
I have only had gc for a month or so, zsla-1 for ~ 2 weeks. A good combo for sure. I want to try some more tube variety. And a more versatile pre, (zsla-1 isn't made for that but it definitely does what it is supposed to very well). Foreplay III another one I've considered.

Hi Paul, thanks for the recommendation, it's working out great. I like the dac alot and am now using it with stock Sony 685 (can't help myself, I'm a multi disc guy, 5 is just right for my lifestyle). Have a Vinnie iMod, will get it going later in week. I'm using ob's: Silver Iris' and also B200 ( I will try B2's in aperiodic soon, but unfortunately more generic execution than Louis'). Small room, bass is ok. I'd be very curious if you ever try zsla-1 with Patek. I have a Peter LM3875 kit too, and hope to find the focus to put it together soon.

maxwalrath, is it true mm can be rolled from dry to juicy, etc.? Supposed to be very mallable, which I would like.

Don

GHM

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2006, 04:05 am »
Hi Don..how do you like the AS DAC? I'm also curious to know what kind of speakers you use. I didn't realize it was so many GC users around here..this is great! :D

I've also enjoyed the EE Mini Max and Scott Nixon monoblock GCs. This combo is what got me looking hard at the GC and tube preamp combos. The EE and GC are very musical IMHO. I could easily live with the EE Mini max. From communicating with Bill the U.S. distributor for Eastern Electric. The upgraded MiniMax is a couple of steps ahead of the model I've spent time with in bass and stability.

Looks like my post went in just a few minutes late. :lol:  Glad to hear the DAC working out for you. The EE MiniMax's sound can be tailored just by changing tubes..that is true.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2006, 05:16 am »
Quote from: GHM
Hi Don..how do you like the AS DAC? I'm also curious to know what kind of speakers you use. I didn't realize it was so many GC users around here..this is great! :D

I've also enjoyed the EE Mini Max and Scott Nixon monoblock GCs. This combo is what got me looking hard at the GC and tube preamp combos. The EE and GC are very musical IMHO. I could easily live with the EE Mini max. From communicating with Bill the U.S. distributor for Eastern Electric. The upgraded MiniMax is a couple of steps ahead of the  ...

Hi Don & GHM,

Don, did I tell you GHM talked me into the GC and NOS DAC to feed the FTA2000s?  No regret whatsoever.  Also, Srajan once told me to match a tube pre such as EE Minimax or ModWright SE with Peter's GC.  So it's a matter of time before I make that move.  So far, the "minimalist" me has been happy enough not to add anything into the mix, save numerous CDs recently purchased from Amazon.

nodiak

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2006, 06:02 am »
Paul,
I do remember you mentioned GHM's recommendation. I've read the seperate mm pre and Audiosector 6 moon reviews. That's good to hear they are rec. together. Makes sense to me now that I've heard what I have. Could easily be a pair I'd like. I'm also curious about "fullsize" tubes like octals Dmason mentioned before. I'm enjoying the way things are going equipment wise.

Don

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2006, 06:14 am »

I've also enjoyed the EE Mini Max and Scott Nixon monoblock GCs. This combo is what got me looking hard at the GC and tube preamp combos.
Which reminds me :? .....I've got to dig out those Nixon amps (put them away after they came back). Since I have the A8's...never did try the Nixon amps with them. I'll match them with the ModWright preamp. Might be a nice combo.... 8)

masi76gc

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:37 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

I've also enjoyed the EE Mini Max and Scott Nixon monoblock GCs. This combo is what got me looking hard at the GC and tube preamp combos.
Which reminds me :? .....I've got to dig out those Nixon amps (put them away after they came back). Since I have the A8's...never did try the Nixon amps with them. I'll match them with the ModWright preamp. Might be a nice combo.... 8)

Now, there's the amp that I have been waiting to hear about, the Scott Nixon monos.  I would be really curioius to hear more about people's experiences  with the Scott Nixon amps driving the Omegas.

GHM

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2006, 01:32 am »
Quote from: masi76gc

Now, there's the amp that I have been waiting to hear about, the Scott Nixon mono ...

Loanwolf42 :lol: ..let me listen to his SN monoblocks for a couple of weeks. This was my first endeavor with the GC amplifiers. The current SN monoblocks use the same chips as most other GCs out there. So they all sound very similar IMHO. Thanks again LW42!!!

Bemopti123

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2006, 02:54 am »
Quote from: masi76gc
Quote from: lonewolfny42

Now, there's the amp that I have been waiting to hear about, the Scott Nixon mono ...

I got my highly modified pair from Parts Connexion about more than a year ago.  All I can say is that for the money, they are worth their price and more.  Of course, I have the FTAs paired with them, a very different speaker design than the Omegas.  I am sure they will work fine.  Ask LW42 for his experience.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2006, 05:59 am »
GHM....Glad you enjoyed the listen... :wink:
    I have found them....packed away. I'll set them up tomorrow with the Omega's. It's been awhile since I've listened to the the Nixon's....so....I have forgotten how they sound. Time for a refresher..... 8) [/list:u]

nodiak

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2006, 06:55 pm »
Just to continue the discussion - hope it is ok to use Omegas space.

I just bought a used MM pre off Audiogon, and am having Morningstar do the upgrades. It will be good/interesting to further explore tube pre with LM3875 and Charlize amps. My only concern is in using a pre with gain, as that doesn't allow either/both the amp or pre to be run "opened" up for more possible saturation. Especially the gc which is very powerful.

I am interested in this issue of using pres and amps without too much gain, so what is there is used more fully rather than "dumbed down" to fit the room, and so missing out on dynamics. If anyone wants to continue the discussion (which for me is learning) elsewhere that would be great. I didn't know where to post about this issue. Hopefully I described it well enough. I've just been learning about the probable benefits of high efficiency speakers with lower power amps and lower gain pre's.

Don