Introduction new member from IL

GSinIL

Introduction new member from IL
« on: 18 Jun 2022, 12:49 am »
Hi everybody,

I am in the process of ordering a pair of Super 3 High Output XRS for my system.
Tons of questions that I try to find answers on the forum rather than distraction Louis from building speakers with my emails or phone calls ;)

I live in the NW burbs of Chicago, close to the WI border.

My system:
Dual 1229
Logitech Transporter
Jolida tube CD player
Rogue Audio RP-1 preamp
DecWare Zen amp
ZU Omen DW speakers

Cheers!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Introduction new member from IL
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2022, 12:11 pm »
Welcome!

Louis enjoys phone calls.  (He must as he does almost no marketing, hasn't participated in his Circle for 11 months, and publishes almost no specifications.)  I'm a single driver owner, gave up trying to get basic information out of him, and went in a different direction 18 years ago.  However my single driver speakers are no longer available and only 90 dB/w/m efficiency, but reach into the 30's Hz range.  I like Louis, met him at a small audio show about 20 years ago.  At that time his loudspeakers used Fostex 4, 6, and 8 inch drivers. 

Being a purist I disdain whizzer cones or multiple drivers, which is where Louis has headed.  And what is "Omega Synergy Drive" as described on his web site for the Super 3 High Output Monitor (a passive loudspeaker) anyway?  It obviously has a crossover as per the description.  Seems like he wants his cake and eat it too. 

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2022, 12:36 pm »
GSinIL enjoy your speakers - I have the same ones! Exercise some patience while they break-in. cheers

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2022, 12:55 pm »
Are you happy with your ZU Dirty Weekends?  If so, you may want to carefully evaluate how the Super 3 HO XRS may or may not meet your needs.

seikosha

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2022, 12:58 pm »
While I don’t have the Super 3 HO, I do have the single driver version as well as the Omen DW’s.  The two speakers present differently and it’ll be interesting to see how you like the Omegas.  As was previously mentioned, give them time to break in.

seikosha

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2022, 01:06 pm »

Being a purist I disdain whizzer cones or multiple drivers, which is where Louis has headed.  And what is "Omega Synergy Drive" as described on his web site for the Super 3 High Output Monitor (a passive loudspeaker) anyway?  It obviously has a crossover as per the description.  Seems like he wants his cake and eat it too.

JLM, isn’t only one of the drivers on Louis's design receiving a signal from the crossover with the other getting the full unadulterated signal from the amp?  If so, in a sense, you can argue that Louis does get his cake and eats it too.  Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I understand it.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2022, 01:49 pm »
Welcome!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2022, 02:24 pm »
JLM, isn’t only one of the drivers on Louis's design receiving a signal from the crossover with the other getting the full unadulterated signal from the amp?  If so, in a sense, you can argue that Louis does get his cake and eats it too.  Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I understand it.

Yes and afaik only one part in the bass driver circuit.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2022, 02:27 pm »
Welcome GS,

Also in Illinois, near where IL, IA, and MO gather.

Lin

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2022, 10:18 pm »

That's correct. The HO models are rather unique 1.5 way designs. The 2nd driver only reinforces the bass frequencies and perhaps midbass a bit. So the speakers go lower and have greater power handling than their single driver siblings. I think you'll be very happy with the 3HO's. The HO designs definitely give you the cake and let you eat it too. ENJOY!