upgrading super 7's ?

jandrews

upgrading super 7's ?
« on: 13 Apr 2022, 05:59 pm »
Hello
I'm a user of some circa 2015 Super 7 monitors (Mk 1) which is a bigger cabinet (10w x 14d x 18h) than the current Mk 2
They sound lovely for most of my listening but it's only more complex music where I'm wondering if the driver is limiting the resolution a bit.
Simple instruments, solo performers, most jazz ensembles, chamber music , etc.  They are so so good. 
*Note these were purchased by me in 2015 and remained in the box as they were shipped to my by Louis until last year when I moved into a new home that had space for them...so , while they are broken in, I would estimate less than 400 hours on them

It's only slightly more chaotic or complex music with more instrumentation sometimes seems like it's just barely taxing the speakers...and often it's only passages, not whole recordings.  It also very well could be my amp. I'm currently using a Vista Spark now with them which is 20wpc.  I do have on-order a Van Alstine SET 120 which should be arriving in another week or so. (the Vista Spark will be moved to dedicated desktop environment)

So I'm not planning on doing anything yet, but am considering moving up to another Omega speaker.
Would the Alnico's be the choice if one was experiencing what I'm describing?

I'm also curious if anyone has ordering a different driver for their Omegas.  i.e. would a 6.5" hempcone alnico driver fit in my Super 7 which uses the 7" RS7 driver?
Seems like the obvious updrade would be the Super Alnico Monitor which is (11w x 14d x 20h).  Pretty similar to my Mk1 Super 7's.   The question is, is that a reasonable upgrade or will the speakers perform similarly?
Any other suggestions regarding getting my speakers to resolve more complex material?

thanks
JS

jmolsberg

Re: upgrading super 7's ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2022, 07:26 pm »
your current amp is the weak link in the chain you described. Those 7's can play some complex tunes

audiomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2022, 08:02 pm »
You might need a panel to fit over the opening if you want to go with the 6.5 alnicos. I think Louis has done that so I would give him a call and see what he says. Those are some nice speakers.

jandrews

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2022, 02:12 pm »
Thanks for the responses
Yes, perhaps it’s the amplifier
Looking forward to assessing improvements with the AVA set 120.
Will do that before considering new speakers but also contact Louis is a great idea.  He may have a suggestion

rar1

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2022, 11:55 am »
Maybe it is me, but I had both the Super 7 MKII & the CAMs and I preferred the sound of the Super 7s.  In fact, I believe the Super 7s may be the steal of the entire line, at least as it pertains to the monitors.  There was nothing that I played, be it CD or vinyl, that the Super 7s could not handle.  My listening is all over the place ... Opera, Americana, 60s & 70s Rock, Vocals, Traditional Jazz, but no electronica or rap or heavy metal. 

I would look at the amp being used.  I have had the best experiences with Prima Luna & Rogue amplifiers.  OK experience with Rega amplifiers.  No success at all with Croft amplifiers.   

Placement is probably the most important factor.  I have terrible placement options (on top of bookcases), so if I can get anything to sound decent it must be pretty good.  That was the Super 7s for me.

Best, Rich

Kalali

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2022, 06:48 pm »
You might need a panel to fit over the opening if you want to go with the 6.5 alnicos. I think Louis has done that so I would give him a call and see what he says...

Panel over what opening?

audiomaniac

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2022, 07:04 pm »
Panel over what opening?

The opening for the driver if the sizes are different.