Front Ported Omega CAM's

Khedspeth

Front Ported Omega CAM's
« on: 18 Sep 2020, 03:51 pm »
I was lucky enough to snag a front ported version of the Omega CAM in walnut.  Just put them in the system late yesterday but have spent a few hours with them.  They are better than expected and in my small room have plenty of bass.  I had a REL sub on standby if needed.  Louis was great to work with and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.  Only question is, what's the next Omega I put on order?

Kevin

Holygeezer

Re: Front Ported Omega CAM's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2020, 01:42 am »
Whichever one calls to you...

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2020, 01:10 pm »
Q: So what's the win in front-porting the CAMs here versus the normal rear-porting?

Thx,
Doody

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2020, 01:15 pm »
Q: So what's the win in front-porting the CAMs here versus the normal rear-porting?

Thx,
Doody

Same as with any other speaker......can be placed tighter on walls?   :dunno:
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2020, 04:10 pm by sunnydaze »

seikosha

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:54 pm »

Thx,
Doody

The win is just as sunnydaze stated...more flexibility in placement, the potential loss is that some of the port noise/chuffing can be heard easier.

Khedspeth

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2020, 01:49 pm »
That was definitely the advantage for me...placement.  I have a small room and often pair these with a small sub if needed (rarely needed).  In my listening room, listening level and musical choice any port noise is less important to me than room placement.  Overall, I am very pleased with how these sound and if I order more, I may see if Omega will front port them also.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:22 pm »
Well, there really shouldn't be port noise. The port on the (standard) CAM's seems to be an aperiodic vent. I assume your front ported CAM's are the same way. Shine a flashlight in the port mouth and you'll see for yourself. Still, it makes sense to put the vent in front for your purposes as it needs a little bit of space to breathe.

Khedspeth

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2020, 04:28 pm »
Well, there really shouldn't be port noise. The port on the (standard) CAM's seems to be an aperiodic vent. I assume your front ported CAM's are the same way. Shine a flashlight in the port mouth and you'll see for yourself. Still, it makes sense to put the vent in front for your purposes as it needs a little bit of space to breathe.

You are correct, you can see and feel the dampening material/aperiodic vent just inside the radius of the port.