vinagunner

Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #100 on: 21 Jun 2015, 11:46 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:34 am by vinagunner »

guillaume bougard

« Reply #101 on: 22 Jun 2015, 06:51 am »
finally got around to uploading the short video of 3i desktop blasting some heavy drum and bass by Sly & Robbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NhjgDnjS5Y

oskar

« Reply #102 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:56 pm »
So where are all the pix?

ju-sa

« Reply #103 on: 14 Jul 2015, 01:11 pm »
Finally, requested pictures from my Omega set-up:

- CD player: Densen B410 Plus
- Vinyl gear: Rega RP3 with Elys2, Rega TTPSU and Trigon Vanguard phonopreamp
- Tuner: Denon TU-215RD
- Amp: RWA Signature 16
- Speakers: Omega XRS6 Alnico

My listening spot is a part of the living room of ca 430 square feet, listening takes place in equilateral triangle of 6,5 ft.

DBC

« Reply #104 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:08 pm »
Very Nice.

What finish is that on the Omegas?

Thanks for sharing

ju-sa

« Reply #105 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:37 pm »
Very Nice.

What finish is that on the Omegas?

Thanks for sharing

vinagunner

« Reply #106 on: 14 Jul 2015, 06:51 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:34 am by vinagunner »

ju-sa

« Reply #107 on: 14 Jul 2015, 07:17 pm »
Very nice, ju-sa. Beautiful speakers! RWA has always been an interesting option with Omega. Have you compared the Sig 16 with other (tube) amps. I love SET, but have to admit the heat of tubes can be annoying with small children around.

Before RWA I had Luxman N100 tube amp (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/luxman3/100.html) and Iiked it a lot. Even EL84's ain't expensive tubes (excl. some NOS tubes) I noticed when the amp is running even 14 hours per day that will cause some additional expences in terms of tube replacement. While RWA can be operated by batterys or mains current those expenses can be minimised. However, the batteries must be replaced sometimes but I listen (background music or radio) using mains current and when a more concentrated time for music is available I switch to batteries. I also tested briefly the Densen B200 and B300 combo but IMO it was not meant for Omegas.

In regard to sound, Luxman and RWA are different, I cannot conclude which one is better. As you know, it depends on ...

One day when I get older I may consider acquiring a B300 or 2A3 based tube amp for those late evenings when nobody tells be what to do (i.e. the rest of the family is away or sleeping).

Br. Jukka

vinagunner

« Reply #108 on: 14 Jul 2015, 07:29 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:35 am by vinagunner »

ju-sa

« Reply #109 on: 14 Jul 2015, 07:40 pm »

(Mind you, the kind of output tubes alone don't determine the sound of an amp)

That's correct, and not all the B300's or 2A3's sound the same, no surprise to anyone who has even as little experience as I have with tube amps.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #110 on: 12 Oct 2015, 09:51 pm »
I think vinagunner has started a great thing here and I hope it continues as long as is humanly possible, so I've made it a sticky.  :thumb:

I also want to add a picture of a system that surprised the daylights out of me.  The system is comprised of: Firestone Big Joe V1.3 8w/ch gain clone, Pure i20 digital iPod/iPhone dock, 6Gen iPod Nano, and just acquired Omega Super 3U's in real Walnut (love the Walnut, never had it before).

My first Omega speaker was the predecessor of the Super 3U, the Super 5 Monitor (with 4.5" HempCone driver) about 6 years ago.  They are what converted me to single driver speakers right out of the box, and they were my reference for close to 2 years.  When the RS5 driver came along I brought in the Super 3T, Super 3i, Super 3 Desktop, and the Super 3XRS, but not the Super 3U.  Did I ever miss the boat on that one. :scratch: 
The RS5 Super 3i captivated me so much with it's sound and versatility that I felt a bigger version of it (the Super 3U) would be almost redundant and not as versatile. :duh:

The Super 3U is not a bigger Super 3i - it's a totally different animal.  It has the same cabinet volume and tuning as the giant killing Super 3XRS, and sounds every bit as good quantitatively albeit with a slightly different sound signature.  The main differences (from memory) are: tone is virtually identical, soundstage is not quite as wide as the 3XRS, but deeper and higher up.  Masters of gorgeous midrange.

Currently they're hooked up to a humble front end (haven't tried tubes yet) and I'm quite shocked at the sound.  The midrange and sense of space reminds me of the Alnico Monitors in some ways.  It makes me think of the 500, 1000, and 1500 dollar systems that were shown at RMAF recently.  This system would fit into the $1500 dollar category price wise, but into the $10,000 category performance wise.

Addendum: Strange; I forgot a very interesting aspect of this system - it's low level dynamics are off the charts.  I was listening to some choral music at low volume and noticed no loss of detail, dynamics, imaging, texture, fullness, focus,  and sense of space than at higher volumes, and how well controlled the dynamic swings were.

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2015, 08:25 pm by Canada Rob »

beowulf

« Reply #111 on: 12 Oct 2015, 10:59 pm »
Nice write up CR!  The Walnut is great looking ... that doesn't look as dark as the Walnut that are on my Omega's.  Is this a new veneer?  Any chance of getting a close up in natural light?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #112 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:58 am »
Thanks beowulf,

The picture isn't the greatest.  They're actually very dark - darker than the sample on the Omega website.  About the color of 50% dark chocolate.
I've never had walnut in before, and just love it's cooler tone.  The silver of the screws and the silver of the logo go so well with the cool tone of the Walnut.  Louis, as usual did a great job.  BTW, even though the Super 3U is not on the website, Louis will still build them.

vinagunner

« Reply #113 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:35 am by vinagunner »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #114 on: 13 Oct 2015, 08:36 pm »
Clever move, CR. Let's hope this is one of those never-ending-thread :thumb:

Nice system you've got there. I like the style of the (former) Omega badge in the picture, it matches the logo of Omega watches, as I wear Omega wrist watch myself   :icon_lol:

Thanks vinagunner,

The Super 3U (and the Super 5 before it) are/were favorites of mine.  It's fun to play them for someone and then see the surprise on their face when I pull the grills off and they see that tiny driver (which sounds so huge).  I personally love the minimalist asymetrical look of these speakers with their grills off.  Louis said the driver offset aids in imaging.

Vlad

« Reply #115 on: 29 Oct 2015, 12:00 am »
Hi Rob,

Is Super 3S model still available? It is not listed on the website.
Can somebody post a picture of 3S please?

Thanks,
Vlad

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 29 Oct 2015, 12:08 am »
Hi Rob,

Is Super 3S model still available? It is not listed on the website.
Can somebody post a picture of 3S please?

Thanks,
Vlad
Hi Vlad,

The Super 3S is long gone.  The Super 3XRS is what holds the position the Super 3s held in the 3 series lineup.

FireGuy

« Reply #117 on: 4 Dec 2015, 09:04 pm »
One good thing about buying yourself Xmas gifts is that you can control when you open them.  Case in point, new flat panel stand I put together with gear transfer.  Seven + hours.  Can't hurry this up too much.  Here's a result of that work.  Super 5's now are  more open from the new config as well as improved off axis.  Omega's are simply too good to be true.  Astounding in all respects.

milford3

« Reply #118 on: 5 Dec 2015, 01:14 am »
One good thing about buying yourself Xmas gifts is that you can control when you open them.  Case in point, new flat panel stand I put together with gear transfer.  Seven + hours.  Can't hurry this up too much.  Here's a result of that work.  Super 5's now are  more open from the new config as well as improved off axis.  Omega's are simply too good to be true.  Astounding in all respects.

Outstanding FireGuy!  The Super 5's will sound even better now.

FireGuy

« Reply #119 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:25 am »
Thanks Milford3.  Previous config was more adhoc and speaker placement was not optimized.  This has now changed for the better.