Another RMAF 2018 Show Review

Tom Bombadil

Another RMAF 2018 Show Review
« on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:24 am »
This is from "Enjoy the Music."  They focus on high-end gear, so not a lot of coverage on low priced stuff.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/RMAF_2018/weaver/

He does cover some Tekton speakers, Salk, ELAC, some Schiit electronics. 

Tom Bombadil

Re: Another RMAF 2018 Show Review
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:33 am »
In the above report, reviewer Greg Weaver gives one of the most overwhelming positive reviews I've ever read, of the Von Schweikert / VAC / Esoteric room.  They gave him after hours access to the room (which they frequently do for reviewers) to listen to recordings he brought to the show.  I believe this system would cost around $600K to $650K.

He writes, "This system brought me closer to the sensation of live music than any other system I've ever heard ... I heard an adeptness at maintaining proper loudness across the spectrum of each instrument, from its lowest to highest registers, its broadband accuracy, combined with the essential non-existence of any notable additional coloration or loss of harmonic body across the entire audible spectrum that was captivating.

Further, the degree of stark transparency to the recordings, its ability to reveal any nuance in detail or scale, replete with musical relevance, was completely disarming. Its ability to resolve so lucidly the subtle differences between recordings, and the nuances of each, to reveal staging cues and differences, is exceptional, unmatched in my experience, and only approximated by a very small handful of other speakers.

Transients were spectacularly fast and so clearly defined and cleanly delineated that the silence between musical impulses was distinctly resolved. There is a sonic representation so immediate and palpable, so vivid and articulate in detail, and so utterly correct in voice, that you simply must hear this extraordinary system to even begin to understand.
To merely say that this room earned Best Sound of Show would somehow diminish and detract from the unqualified allure it accomplished. This was a benchmark setting performance, one that has been seared into my heart and mind, and that will remain with me for the rest of my life."

I must say that I wish I had been there to experience its impact on me.

KLH007

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:44 am »
I was lucky enough to be invited to Greg's DJ party Saturday night and I completely agree with his findings about this system, after 4 hours of his wonderful record choices I just wanted to listen to a few more, memorable experience! Thanks to The Audio Company and Leif, Damon, and Kevin for putting this Holy Grail system on display and for the after-hours invite.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2018, 01:31 am »
In the above report, reviewer Greg Weaver gives one of the most overwhelming positive reviews I've ever read, of the Von Schweikert / VAC / Esoteric room.  They gave him after hours access to the room (which they frequently do for reviewers) to listen to recordings he brought to the show.  I believe this system would cost around $600K to $650K.

He writes, "This system brought me closer to the sensation of live music than any other system I've ever heard ... I heard an adeptness at maintaining proper loudness across the spectrum of each instrument, from its lowest to highest registers, its broadband accuracy, combined with the essential non-existence of any notable additional coloration or loss of harmonic body across the entire audible spectrum that was captivating.

Further, the degree of stark transparency to the recordings, its ability to reveal any nuance in detail or scale, replete with musical relevance, was completely disarming. Its ability to resolve so lucidly the subtle differences between recordings, and the nuances of each, to reveal staging cues and differences, is exceptional, unmatched in my experience, and only approximated by a very small handful of other speakers.

Transients were spectacularly fast and so clearly defined and cleanly delineated that the silence between musical impulses was distinctly resolved. There is a sonic representation so immediate and palpable, so vivid and articulate in detail, and so utterly correct in voice, that you simply must hear this extraordinary system to even begin to understand.
To merely say that this room earned Best Sound of Show would somehow diminish and detract from the unqualified allure it accomplished. This was a benchmark setting performance, one that has been seared into my heart and mind, and that will remain with me for the rest of my life."

At some point, money on a high end system is wasted.  Give me $650k and I'm not spending it on a hifi system, I'm spending it on live performances.  Lots and lots and lots of live performances.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2018, 01:49 am »
At some point, money on a high end system is wasted.  Give me $650k and I'm not spending it on a hifi system, I'm spending it on live performances.  Lots and lots and lots of live performances.
2 years ago I wanted to see how many shows I could see in one year while working.  I was able to accomplish just a tick over 100 shows.  It was a blast and extremely tiring though.  I know exactly how I'd do it with proper funding and not working. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2018, 01:58 am »
Agree with Tyson.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2018, 01:58 am »

I guess this is a clear example of how relative/matter of perspective it seems everything in this hobby is, even the meta of the hobby itself.  If nothing else, such a system can serve (mere mortals?) to show and or push the very boundaries of what is possible.

For my part, that $650K, a few years, and some careful investments would buy a whole lot of financial security, freedom, and time a whole lot sooner in life than currently hoped for.  I guess sometimes I'm boring but practical.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2018, 02:07 am »
Well, if you have a million bucks you can't figure out a good use for, then here's an audio system for you. We often hear that these systems are 'test beds' or 'proof of concept' system to try features that 'trickle down' to more rationally priced systems, but it'd have to trickle pretty far before I'd consider it.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2018, 02:35 am »
Give me $650K and I'm not buying this system.  But if I win $650M in tonight's lottery, I might.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2018, 03:29 am »
Not need this much the famous OB woofer Alpha15A sells for $79,99 each.

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2018, 03:06 pm »

I think there is a LOT of wasted in audio reproduction in the home. I think there Pro audio setups give you much more bang for the buck. I would start with active speakers as a great way to improve SQ and cut waste. Then you have cables. I believe if you cheap out on cables you are actually wasting money not saving money because you constrict the music between components. Mogami cables are used in a lot of studios and are another bang for the buck example of pro gear vs consumer gear. I think trying to replicate a live performance in your home is futile (so I agree with Tyson as you need to go out to the concert hall). If I can just replicate the sound they got in the studio when mixing the album I am good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2018, 04:26 pm »

Nice. I cannot agree more. The price is the price. Some can some cannot. However not the point. The point is achieving State of the art performance in music reproduction. Showing what is possible. A reference point of sorts. Live music is still the ultimate reference and we are so close I can taste it.
  We showed at CES a $640K system. Won best of show and made lots of people yearn for better sound. Yes expensive but breathtaking. A wonderful experience to be had is the key here not cost.

charles

Norman Tracy

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2018, 06:03 pm »
Stop the presses!! News flash!!!

Billionaires (and soon to be billionaires with many hundreds of millions) get to the point where $1,000,000 is discretionary disposable income. The house that system is going in already has $10,000 custom woven wool carpet on the bedroom floor and a four car garage with two Lamborghini for the weekends and AMG (his) and Range Rover (hers) for the daily drivers. At least the Von Schweikert / VAC / Esoteric system will not kill you like the Lamborghini when you loose it at 170 mph. Or cost $10,000 in jet fuel for even a short hop like the Gulfstream.