GR upgrade Kit for Elac Debut 2 and Sony SS-CS5

57esquire

• Majoring in Minor things since 1969
GR upgrade Kit for Elac Debut 2 and Sony SS-CS5
« on: 29 Mar 2022, 05:36 pm »
In considering GR's cross-over upgrade kits I happen to find a good deal of both the Elac's and the Sony's.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which kit would yield the best over all results?

I think the Elac has a larger woofer presuming deeper bass extension but, I'm not sure.

I'd prefer to do one or the other kit and sell the rest.

Any experienced opinions greatly appreciated.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: GR upgrade Kit for Elac Debut 2 and Sony SS-CS5
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2022, 07:04 pm »
The Elac Debut 2 is a much better speaker that the Sony is or can be IMHO.  You will get much better bass and just about everything with the Elac.  I bought a pair for my daughter, and I am very impressed with the sound.  Upgrading the Elac's should take it even further away from the Sony's.  You are starting with a better speaker to begin with that punches well above its price point and then upgrading it.

57esquire

• Majoring in Minor things since 1969
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2022, 01:53 am »
Hi, Greyhound.  Thanks for the advise on the upgrade kits.  I thought that made sense.  I may, some day do the Sony's because I found two sets.  The GR Research video really speaks highly of the Sony's results too.  Thanks, again!!

I grew up in  Bloomington and Chaska, MN.  Had an AVA power amp once.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2022, 02:30 am »
Hi, Greyhound.  Thanks for the advise on the upgrade kits.  I thought that made sense.  I may, some day do the Sony's because I found two sets.  The GR Research video really speaks highly of the Sony's results too.  Thanks, again!!

I grew up in  Bloomington and Chaska, MN.  Had an AVA power amp once.

I take it you escaped the frozen tundra here in MN?  In a few years when I retire, we are headed for warmer pastures.  It is still in the 30's and 40's here and even colder at night.

The Elac's are a very good speaker and sound even better with higher end gear.  If the GR upgrades are as good as he says they are then you will have a great little speaker.  The Sony's would be a project for fun though.  Give the Soni Caps at least 100 hours to break in.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2022, 03:16 am »
I own both of the speakers you are considering, the Sony SS-CS5 and the Elac debut 6.2. 

I know this isn't an exact answer to your question because I don't have GR-upgrade kits in either set of speakers.  However, having what I would consider adequate experience with many types of crossover upgrades and redesigns.  I don't see any way that the Sony can reach the same upper potential as the Elac.  Yes, the Sony is worthy of its praises at the $100 mark if that's your budget, but the extra money spent for the Elac pair earns you what I think most would agree is undeniably a higher performance and capacity. The Elac 6.2 do have something uniquely special about them at a great entry price.   

Also, you should consider that the Sony upgrade kit will be significantly more challenging to assemble and install due to the higher number of parts, and more cramped interior.

Others may feel different, but I would not recommend buying the Sony for the purpose of upgrading.  I support the idea of upgrading an existing pair, but if you haven't purchased them yet, I think the Elac are clearly the better choice.

In comparison, I do like the Elac's enough to recommend buying the Elac's as a new purchase for upgrading, assuming you are getting them at a good price (their price fluctuates a lot)

I've helped several others with creating layouts for the upgraded GR crossovers for those speaker sets.  After making your decision and purchasing your kit, feel free to reach out if you would like any assistance.

Good luck with your decision and upgrades.

Elon

Elon@ezeescrossovers.com

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2022, 05:02 am »
Why not just build a GR Research kit from scratch?