AKFest SoundScape 8's in black limba

funkmonkey

Re: AKFest SoundScape 8's in black limba
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2012, 04:15 pm »
I really like the look of Black Limba, especially on the SS8s pictured here!  :thumb:
VERY handsome speakers...  love the black nameplates, plinths and spikes on this pair.
 :green:
We built a pair of SoundScape 8's for AKFest and used a new batch of black limba we had recently purchased.  John and Jill had ordered a pair of HT2-TL's in tineo that they were going to pick up at the event.  When they heard the SS8's, they wanted to know if they could purchase the SS8's instead.  So these are not available, although I thought I'd still share the pictures.

Here they are...

And a close-up...

Happy listening John and Jill (in May after I finish a replacement pair)...

- Jim

sujupravin

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2012, 07:48 am »
Thanks, but these will be my 5th pair of Jim's speakers...I've been in the 'family' for a while!

I'll be sure to take some pics and give a review after I get them in a month.

Hi,  Have you received your ss8's yet?

jd3

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2012, 10:38 am »
Not yet  :(

jd3

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:44 am »
Picking them up on Thursday!!

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm »

That's awesome!!!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #25 on: 3 Jul 2012, 03:27 pm »
John, that's great!  Drivers must have come in.  Maybe I'll hear from Jim soon <nudge, nudge, wink)!

.........Peter

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #26 on: 3 Jul 2012, 04:47 pm »
Limba wood is used in some of the finest musical instruments out there. I know its Veneer correct? Either way Limba will make them sound great. I took a pair of Grado's and replaced the shells with shells of solid Limba a year ago or so and they sound incredible!

Beautiful work Jim! Fantastic... :thumb:

jd3

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jul 2012, 06:05 pm »
John, that's great!  Drivers must have come in.  Maybe I'll hear from Jim soon <nudge, nudge, wink)!

.........Peter

Yep, they did.  It will be an all day trip for me down and back, but I'm sure it will be worth the drive!
I'll let you know if I see yours at the shop. 

John

pstrisik

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jul 2012, 06:44 pm »
Yep, they did.  It will be an all day trip for me down and back, but I'm sure it will be worth the drive!
I'll let you know if I see yours at the shop. 

John

Oooh yeah!  If you do, take pictures - even if not finished. 

Nice way to get them - by visiting Jim and his shop.  I would do the same if I weren't all the way up here!

........Peter

saeyedoc

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jul 2012, 07:54 pm »
Limba wood is used in some of the finest musical instruments out there. I know its Veneer correct? Either way Limba will make them sound great. I took a pair of Grado's and replaced the shells with shells of solid Limba a year ago or so and they sound incredible!

Beautiful work Jim! Fantastic... :thumb:
I'm sure they will sound good, but I doubt the Limba will make any difference at all, it's just veneer on top of the MDF.

pstrisik

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:20 pm »
I'm sure they will sound good, but I doubt the Limba will make any difference at all, it's just veneer on top of the MDF.

Oh man, these decisions are plenty hard enough.  Can you imagine also having to take the impact of the veneer choice on sound quality into account!  :duh:

........Peter

jd3

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm »
Picked them up today and they are playing.  I've not had much time to listen to much of the music I wanted to, as my wife is home.  I had a few of the demo cuts on I wanted to hear and she said 'put something else on.'  We are listening to what she says is "the good stuff', i.e. the music she likes.  She's at work tomorrow so I will be able to listen to the music of my choice!

So far, I really prefer listening to them with just a bit of stuffing in the back.  Jim suggested to put half of the bag of stuffing he gave me in each speaker.  I really didn't like how that sounded.  The treble sounded too compressed to me.  Without the stuffing they really open up.  They are pretty amazing in my less than ideal room. I will play with setup some more tomorrow.  More to come.

Thanks Jim and Mary!

pstrisik

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jul 2012, 11:45 pm »
Picked them up today and they are playing.  I've not had much time to listen to much of the music I wanted to, as my wife is home.  I had a few of the demo cuts on I wanted to hear and she said 'put something else on.'  We are listening to what she says is "the good stuff', i.e. the music she likes.  She's at work tomorrow so I will be able to listen to the music of my choice!

So far, I really prefer listening to them with just a bit of stuffing in the back.  Jim suggested to put half of the bag of stuffing he gave me in each speaker.  I really didn't like how that sounded.  The treble sounded too compressed to me.  Without the stuffing they really open up.  They are pretty amazing in my less than ideal room. I will play with setup some more tomorrow.  More to come.

Thanks Jim and Mary!

I am experiencing this vicariously!!

Did you have a chance to see mine in the making?

....Peter

Austin08

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:51 am »
Jd3,

I got the same experience as you did. I gone from more stuffing to none at all. Without the stuffing, the sound is really open up but little messy to my taste so I put one 4x4x8 sound diffuser behind each speaker and pull them 5' away from the front wall. Now, the sound is really awsome. Much more balance and details.

jd3

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:56 am »
I am experiencing this vicariously!!

Did you have a chance to see mine in the making?

....Peter

Peter,
No, sorry to say I didn't.  I did see a pair that Mary said were going to New Zealand and Jim showed me the cabinets to his new pair.

John

jd3

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:00 am »
Jd3,

I got the same experience as you did. I gone from more stuffing to none at all. Without the stuffing, the sound is really open up but little messy to my taste so I put one 4x4x8 sound diffuser behind each speaker and pull them 5' away from the front wall. Now, the sound is really awsome. Much more balance and details.
I'll have to try placing them further into the room, but I won't be able to get them 5' out.  I'll be waiting to do room treatments until I move (still renting).

Nuance

« Reply #36 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
I want to see pictures of the speakers in their natural habitat! :D

pstrisik

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:30 pm »
Peter,
No, sorry to say I didn't.  I did see a pair that Mary said were going to New Zealand and Jim showed me the cabinets to his new pair.

John

Thanks John.  I just talked to Jim who tells me the dye is applied and they are applying the sealer coats.  Once that is complete, we will look at photos to decide if will will darken any with the top coat.  Hopefully done within a couple of weeks!

I hope you are enjoying getting yours settled in.  What electronics are you running with them?

.......Peter

jd3s wife

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:03 pm »
JD3 must be in music heaven because he's only emailed me twice all day!!  Happy listening honey, i'll be home in a couple hours!! :kiss:

I've not had much time to listen to much of the music I wanted to, as my wife is home.  I had a few of the demo cuts on I wanted to hear and she said 'put something else on.'  We are listening to what she says is "the good stuff', i.e. the music she likes.  She's at work tomorrow so I will be able to listen to the music of my choice!

Tru-dat - I wasn't a fan of Jennifer Warnes over and over!  :duh:    But atleast I let him listen uninterrupted for a while before telling him to put on the good stuff!  Think of it this way my dear, since it's my fault that you have the SS8's I should get to listen to whatever I want, whenever I want!!!!!    :inlove:

jd3

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:41 pm »
Here are some pics in their 'natural habitat'!

(Note that I have the latest in acoustic treatments:  a stuffed pheasant diffuser)