Using your smartphone to help place turntables in your room

atideswe

I live in a timber frame house (with suspended timber floors) in an earthquake zone - had a nice 6.7 shake-up last week about 100 km north of here that gave my place a bit of rock and roll.

At the same time I was getting too much resonance through my turntable caused by foot traffic exciting my timber floor - enough to make the needle jump if i jumped up and down.

My hifi store recommended wall mounting the turntable, using $600 plus shelf units, but with no guarantee of success. At the same time, I suspected the wall would also be subject to resonances so maybe would have to look at even more expense and experimentation.

This motivated me to download a seismograph app onto my android. I placed it on the lid of my Linn turntable and jumped on the floor a bit to get a crude reading (didn't actually read off the units). I repeated this around the room and found a position that returned about 25% of the readings compared to where I had sited the turntable originally.

Now, with the turntable located in it's new location, I'm getting no audible feedback. Cost $0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Using your smartphone to help place turntables in your room
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2020, 09:30 am »
Hi,
Starting Block is really for people to introduce themselves. This question/thread is best posted in the Vinyl Circle, so I'll move it there for you now.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2020, 11:56 am »
Welcome!  Gingko Audio makes some nice isolation devices  -   https://www.ginkgoaudio.com/product-category/platforms/

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2020, 01:29 pm »
Yep, those cell-phone seismograph apps, would be a great tool for checking equipment and turntable shock mounts. You could even improvise a shaker table out of a big low budget subwoofer. Definitely beats trying to listen for changes in shock mounts.

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2020, 01:51 pm »
excellent .....  :thumb:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2020, 04:23 pm »
I had similar problems with having my table on my desk, so I mounted a basic 3/4" MDF shelf onto the wall. The kicker was I used some automotive sound deadening pads I had around to act as a damper on the entire shelf. Then I painted the shelf black and you can't tell anything is going on. Now I can jump all day or play as loud as my ears can stand, and there is 0 effect on the music. Afternoon DIY projects are fun.