surge/spike protection

firedog

surge/spike protection
« on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:12 am »
Klaus-
What do you recommend for surge/spike protection with your amps?

GentleBender

Re: surge/spike protection
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2015, 10:31 am »
I would love to know too since I leave them on all time. We have a ton of lightning storms here in Florida and some are unexpected and happen while I am at work. Of course I unplug them when I can during a thunderstorm. A little peace of mind would be great.

Lak

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:03 pm »
Have you considered this device for total house protection? "

"
After doing some research I decided to purchase the “Square D Surge Protector” My purpose is to protect my entire home appliances, computers (stereo system) etc. incase of a lighting strike etc. This device wires into your main electrical outlet box ideally at the top into one or two 20 amp circuits. Directions are provided, easy to follow and the job can be completed in 20 minutes or less. This product lists for $160 but can be purchased from Amazon for $86. Incase of a surge including lighting strike the unit would need to be replaced and the two green lights on the unit would not be on.

Lak

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:05 pm »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2015, 02:01 pm »
I have a whole house unit but also use POU units as well for the most important equipment.  For those I use the Zero Surge units. 

brj

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:44 pm »
And please note that some power conditioners (Running Springs, for example) have surge protection, while others do not (UberBuss for example, though Dave offers a separate surge protector now, IIRC).

As for the effectiveness of a power conditioner in improving the sound of a system, that seems to be very system and power grid dependent. The biggie to look out for where amps are concerned is whether dynamics are limited by a power conditioner. The tendency of some power conditioners to do this is a reason that many amp manufacturers recommend plugging amps directly into a wall. The conditioners that I have tried that do not seem to limit dynamics on the amps I have used them with are Equitech (currently using), Running Springs Haley (need to get around to selling) and the Audience aR1p. FWIW.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2015, 05:54 pm »
I use a Zero Surge and a Brick Wall - they both use the same technology which I like.  One of them developed it and the other licenses it - forgot which is which.  I also like the whole house coverage that Lak uses.

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2015, 06:34 pm »
I use a whole house surge protector and, for my Mac Mini, external HD, AR-T Legato, (and Bluray and DVR) an APC S-15. My DAC and subs go into a Mini-Buss (w/o surge protection) as does my integrated amp during the rainy (lightning) season here in Fl. This way I only have two cords to unplug from the wall when we are having a bad thunderstorm. The rest of the year the amp is plugged directly into the wall. Although I must say that I hear little difference with it plugged into the Mini-Buss, unlike all other conditioners (up to several thousand dollars in price) I've had in my system that reduce dynamics or thin out the mid-range.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2015, 01:22 pm by rpf »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2015, 06:48 pm »
I use a Zero Surge and a Brick Wall - they both use the same technology which I like.  One of them developed it and the other licenses it - forgot which is which.  I also like the whole house coverage that Lak uses.
Zero Surge developed it. 

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2015, 07:13 pm »
I would love to know too since I leave them on all time. We have a ton of lightning storms here in Florida and some are unexpected and happen while I am at work. Of course I unplug them when I can during a thunderstorm. A little peace of mind would be great.

I have a whole house surge protector and a big amp also plugged into a Torus Power Conditioner.  Don't think anything will help if your house gets hit directly.

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2015, 08:04 pm »
Same here Phil,
Whole house is a EP-2050+2775 ground filter
Also the two Torus units 60a+20a,have had them for quite a few yrs and no problems.
Except the 2 F-113's that were not plugged into the Torus they were dead,yet the other 2 that were connected to the Torus :thumb:end of story.
My computers and tvs I use Surgex RM with some digiplugs :thumb:.

GentleBender

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the input. Lots of choices out there and I appreciate the help filtering the choices down. I will look through the suggestions and see what works with my budget/skill level. The Square D looks good plus inexpensive, but I don't have two free circuits to use.  :( I use Schneider Electric's APC brand to protect servers at work and would trust them with my amps as well. Hmmm, may have to wait until I get to the point of a dedicated circuit for the game/listening room for that.

Lak

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:58 pm »
GentleBender, I did not have any openings for additional circuit breakers so I purchased (2) of the mini circuit breakers (might not be the correct name to use) to replace the top left and right circuit breakers in my main box.
Example: http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q1520-15-Amp-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B000VYJQH8/ref=pd_sim_hi_42?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WMX5X5CP92Z0RNH77JS

GentleBender

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2015, 03:25 pm »
How easy is it to switch them out? I work on computers for a living, but have never messed with an electrical box out of fear of death. :angel: I'm sure I could shut off the entire power to the house, but don't want to get started and run into issues leading to me calling an electrician. I've exhausted my HiFi budget on amps, phono stage and speakers, but could stretch it just a bit for some protection. Just need to know what level of expertise is needed, if any.

jea48

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2015, 04:03 pm »
GentleBender, I did not have any openings for additional circuit breakers so I purchased (2) of the mini circuit breakers (might not be the correct name to use) to replace the top left and right circuit breakers in my main box.
Example: http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q1520-15-Amp-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B000VYJQH8/ref=pd_sim_hi_42?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WMX5X5CP92Z0RNH77JS

You installed one on the top left hand side of the panel and the other one on the top right hand side of the panel. Where did you install the new 2 pole breaker for the SPD, surge protection device?

Lak

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:32 pm »
The Square D Surge Protector is easy to install. Maybe a twenty minute job at the most. Check out the link I posted earlier in this thread and read the positive comments left by people on Amazon.
You can also Google the manual and read the directions. I have no vested interest in the product, I'm just happy with my purchase.
If you should decide to purchase the Square D Surge Protector, you could always PM me if you have questions.

Punch out a 1/2" knockout on the side of your electrical service box toward the top and insert the Surge Protector.
Turn off the main power breaker in your panel.
Turn off and pull out the left and right top circuit breakers.
Unscrew the wire going into each circuit breaker.
Connect each black wire connected to the Surge Protector to the top (mini) 20 amp circit breaker left and right (that you have to purchase).
White wire to the neutral bar and green wire to ground bar (which might be your neutral bar).
The wire you unscrewed from the original circuit breaker attaches to the new (mini) breaker left and right side.
Snap the mini breakers into the top right and Left side.
Turn main breaker back on and turn on the two new mini breakers.
That's all there is to it. ***Just make sure you take the brand name of the current breakers you have and notice how many amps it is, probably 15 amp but could be 20 amp***. Do this first to be sure the Minni's are available for your electrical main panel.
Home Depot or Lowe's (etc) should have the two minis you need.

jea48

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2015, 06:27 pm »
The Square D Surge Protector is easy to install. Maybe a twenty minute job at the most. Check out the link I posted earlier in this thread and read the positive comments left by people on Amazon.
You can also Google the manual and read the directions. I have no vested interest in the product, I'm just happy with my purchase.
If you should decide to purchase the Square D Surge Protector, you could always PM me if you have questions.

Punch out a 1/2" knockout on the side of your electrical service box toward the top and insert the Surge Protector.
Turn off the main power breaker in your panel.
Turn off and pull out the left and right top circuit breakers.
Unscrew the wire going into each circuit breaker.
Connect each black wire connected to the Surge Protector to the top (mini) 20 amp circit breaker left and right (that you have to purchase).
White wire to the neutral bar and green wire to ground bar (which might be your neutral bar).
The wire you unscrewed from the original circuit breaker attaches to the new (mini) breaker left and right side.
Snap the mini breakers into the top right and Left side.
Turn main breaker back on and turn on the two new mini breakers.
That's all there is to it. ***Just make sure you take the brand name of the current breakers you have and notice how many amps it is, probably 15 amp but could be 20 amp***. Do this first to be sure the Minni's are available for your electrical main panel.
Home Depot or Lowe's (etc) should have the two minis you need.

Hi Lak,

You said,
"Connect each black wire connected to the Surge Protector to the top (mini) 20 amp circuit breaker left and right (that you have to purchase)".

If I understand you correctly you connected one black lead from the SPD to one of the newly installed twin breakers on the left hand side of the electrical panel and the other black lead from the SPD to one of the breakers of the twin breaker on the right side of the electrical panel. Is that correct? If that is correct you only have SPD protection on Line 1, L1, leg, of the electrical panel. Breaker space #1 and breaker space #2 are both fed from Line 1, leg, of the electrical panel bus.

Line 1 and Line 2 alternate with one another down each side of the electrical panel.
If you have any 2 pole 240V breakers with a common trip handle it becomes clear.

Example of Line 1 and Line 2 orientation on a typical USA 120/240V single phase electrical panel where the breakers are mounted horizontally.

Breaker space
1) L1 ..... 2) L1
3) L2 ......4) L2
5) L1 ......6) L1
7) L2 ......8  L2
9) L1 .....10) L1
Etc. down each side of the panel.

So you will have SPD protection on both L1 and L2 lines put both twin breakers on the same side as the SPD is mounted. One black lead on one of the breakers of a twin and the other black wire on one of the breakers of the other twin breaker. To verify you have it wired correctly use a volt meter and measure the voltage across the two hot leads of the SPD at the two breakers. It should measure 240V nominal for the USA.

Best wiring practices for proper SPD installation.
 The SPD should be mounted on the panel enclosure as close as possible to the main breaker. All the factory SPD makeup leads should be short as possible. Cut off excess wire lengths not needed.
Jim

GentleBender

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2015, 07:57 pm »
I overlooked the fact that my electrical service box is in a hallway surrounded by drywall preventing access to the side of the panel. :? Are there easier, but still affordable solutions for just one dual outlet? I have a surge protector installed, but wanted something more in line with the Square D. Also don't want to introduce noise into the system.

Would this work well? http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBAR6ULTRA-Isobar-Protector/dp/B0000513US/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425066798&sr=8-5&keywords=Zero+Surge

Lak

« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:54 am »
Jea48,
Thank you for pointing out my error.
I appreciate your expertise.
Best regards,
Lak